WAMC/School List: 521/4.0 cGPA/4.0 sGPA/WI resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camelcase21

Reaction score
State: WI
Ties to other States: none really
URM?: N
Year: Junior (no gap years)
Undergraduate Major: Biomedical Engineering
cGPA: 4.0
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 521 (131/128/130/132)
Research: 1260 hrs in radiation oncology, have a great relationship with the PI who is a rad onc and will write a great letter
Publications/Abstracts/Posters: 5th author pub (in Nature Communications if that makes a difference), 7 poster presentations, and 3 abstracts. Should have 1 more pub submitted before AMCAS submission
Clinical Experience: 350 hrs HELP - basically feeding and walking with geriatric patients with dementia
Leadership: 90 hours as Biochemistry TA. 480 hours as head tutor at school's college of engineering tutoring center (paid). Chair of Diversity and Inclusion Committee of Biomedical Engineering Society at school.
Shadowing: 110 hours in GI, cardiothoracic surgery, radiation oncology, medical oncology, urology, and rheumatology
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100 hours volunteering with organization that works to settle in newly relocated refugees (basically I translate documents for families into arabic and help translating during driving lessons, job interviews, etc.), 100 hours tutoring low income HS students,
Other Extracurricular Activities: Huge soccer hobby. I play on my own a ton, assistant coach for a youth team, and I have a soccer podcast with my friend that's been running for about a year now
Awards: 2 research scholarships/fellowships and 5 misc. scholarships and grants
Other stuff: I have a huge passion for teaching, if I wasn't gonna be a doctor I'd be a teacher

School List (i know it's long lol):
Oakland University
UW-Madison
MCW
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Wayne State
Virginia Tech
Georgetown
UCLA
UMiami
Carle
UCSF
Emory
Kaiser
USC
USF
Michigan
Boston University
Stanford
Case Western
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Harvard
Mayo
Vanderbilt
WashU
NYU
Penn
UChicago
Yale

Members don't see this ad.

I have a huge passion for teaching, if I wasn't gonna be a doctor I'd be a teacher
Thousands of premeds agree with this sentiment. This is why tutoring is overrepresented and doesn't add value to the application.

Where do you do HELP (feed and walk with geriatric patients)? If in a clinical setting, can you do this in assisted living or possibly hospice?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your stats. I suggest these schools from your list:
UW-Madison
MCW
Virginia Tech
Georgetown
UCLA
UMiami
Carle
UCSF
Emory
Kaiser
USC
USF
Michigan
Boston University
Stanford
Case Western
Northwestern
Cornell
Duke
Harvard
Mayo
Vanderbilt
WashU
NYU
Penn
UChicago
Yale
You could add Hofstra, Cincinnati, Rochester.

Thousands of premeds agree with this sentiment. This is why tutoring is overrepresented and doesn't add value to the application.

Where do you do HELP (feed and walk with geriatric patients)? If in a clinical, can you do this in assisted living or possibly hospice?
Currently in it's in a hospital setting with patients who are hospitalized for 1-3 weeks. I don't know if it would be valuable to also do it in a hospice setting due to the fact I'll be applying in a month and a half.