WAMC - School List Help! 3.75/516 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrooberry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed for privacy! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Remember projected hours will not count. The hours you have on submission count. Virtual shadowing does not count.

How many hours have you spent mentoring, tutoring, or teaching? These hours are separate from service orientation activities.

You need 30 more shadowing hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools.

Yup, all the hours I listed are not projected hours-- they are what I have so far (4 years + 1 gap year)! Of the 1000 hours, about 350 of them come from mentoring/teaching type of work, so that makes it about 650 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Can definitely get the 30 more shadowing hours between now and June from my workplace (I've already confirmed an additional 10 from the neurosurgery department!).

What would a good school list be, if I get my 30 additional hours of shadowing? Would my in-state schools (CA) be reachable?

Remember projected hours will not count. The hours you have on submission count. Virtual shadowing does not count.

How many hours have you spent mentoring, tutoring, or teaching? These hours are separate from service orientation activities.

You need 30 more shadowing hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What would a good school list be, if I get my 30 additional hours of shadowing? Would my in-state schools (CA) be reachable?
UC medical schools focus on mission fit with holistic review. If you grew up in an underserved county near a specific campus, that school should generally be more interested in you provided you meet expectations or participate in their mentoring or pipeline programs. Do you align with their missions this way?

UC medical schools focus on mission fit with holistic review. If you grew up in an underserved county near a specific campus, that school should generally be more interested in you provided you meet expectations or participate in their mentoring or pipeline programs. Do you align with their missions this way?
I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley from high school onwards (but moved around a lot growing up- lived in TX, PA, and all over Northern CA). Definitely do align with the mission fit of service to underserved populations, coupled with advocating for health equity!

I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley from high school onwards (but moved around a lot growing up- lived in TX, PA, and all over Northern CA). Definitely do align with the mission fit of service to underserved populations, coupled with advocating for health equity!
Great! Obviously find out which state's rules on residency benefit you the most as an "in-state" applicant given your situation and the qualifications.

Are you a Truman finalist? If you are still in the running for a scholarship, when will you find out, and how do you expect to manage an application while on the scholarship?

If you don't get it, have you investigated HPSP or NHSC, if either of those programs aligns with your intentions to be a physician? How about the various PRIME programs hosted by the UC schools? Other schools outside of California may also have similar opportunities though not sure about any partial scholarships. At the bare minimum, I think you can go for schools that are advocacy and service-oriented (off the top thinking UChicago, UMichigan, Rush, Einstein (now that they are tuition-free)). I defer to the usual listmakers and other experts for suggestions (@Faha @gyngyn @HappyRabbit).

Mentoring organizations: connect with APAMSA, AMWA and medical humanities, PHR.

I also encourage you to read

Last edited:
Great! Obviously find out which state's rules on residency benefit you the most as an "in-state" applicant given your situation and the qualifications.

Are you a Truman finalist? If you are still in the running for a scholarship, when will you find out, and how do you expect to manage an application while on the scholarship?

If you don't get it, have you investigated HPSP or NHSC, if either of those programs aligns with your intentions to be a physician? How about the various PRIME programs hosted by the UC schools? Other schools outside of California may also have similar opportunities though not sure about any partial scholarships. At the bare minimum, I think you can go for schools that are advocacy and service-oriented (off the top thinking UChicago, Rush, Einstein (now that they are tuition-free)). I defer to the usual listmakers and other experts for suggestions (@Faha @gyngyn @HappyRabbit).

I also encourage you to read
I ended up getting the notification I wasn't selected as a national finalist (only was selected and nominated by my university), so I guess I wouldn't include it in the application! I've looked into the PRIME program (like with UCSF) and love it as it really aligns with what I envision. Will definitely explore HPSP and NHSC, haven't heard of those--thank you so much!!

And thank you for the article, will definitely take a read into that; truly appreciate all the support! And sounds good, I will definitely look into UChicago, Rush, and Einstein!

Thanks in advance to @Faha @gyngyn @HappyRabbit :) very appreciative of all the help and guidance!

You have a very strong application could apply most places. Craft a list according to your preferences. Use MSAR as a guide. I shotgunned a list below but obviously root through where you would want to go.

UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCD (if ties to NorCal)
UCR (if significant ties to IE)
USC
Stanford
Kaiser
CUSM
Colorado
Tulane
Rush
Loyola
RFU
NYCM
Albany
Einstein
UChicago
UMichigian
Hackensack
Penn State
George Washington (low yield, but your application fits)
Georgetown (low yield, but your application fits)
Wake Forest
TCU
Vermont
Dartmouth
EVMS
VCommonwealth
VTC
Quinnipiac
Nova Southeastern
University of Miami
OUWB
Boston
Icahn
Tufts
Sidney Kimmel
SLU (low yield, but your application fits)
Wayne
UMass Chan
USF
Emory
Creighton
+ A few TMDSAS schools you like, if you are open to TMDSAS.

I'll let adcoms provide you a more refined list.

Double check your hours. Excluding your gap year job, you've had around 4000 hours over 4 years of college (where you also did summer classes) and you this is before factoring in your part-time work of around 20 hours a week for 1.5 years at a non-profit.

This is a more appropriate list:

UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCSD
UCD (if ties to NorCal)
USC
Kaiser
CUSM
Colorado
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Stony Brook
Boston
Tufts
Vermont
Hackensack
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Vermont
Dartmouth
EVMS
VCU
Duke
Emory
USF
Miami
Saint Louis
Creighton
Western Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati

Double check your hours. Excluding your gap year job, you've had around 4000 hours over 4 years of college (where you also did summer classes) and you this is before factoring in your part-time work of around 20 hours a week for 1.5 years at a non-profit.

This is a more appropriate list:

UCLA
UCSF
UCI
UCSD
UCD (if ties to NorCal)
USC
Kaiser
CUSM
Colorado
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Stony Brook
Boston
Tufts
Vermont
Hackensack
Jefferson
Temple
George Washington
Georgetown
Wake Forest
Vermont
Dartmouth
EVMS
VCU
Duke
Emory
USF
Miami
Saint Louis
Creighton
Western Michigan
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Thank you so much! This list is super helpful!!

And hours are accurate :') In college I just (barely) managed to function with little sleep (TT)