WAMC/School List Help (3.81 sGPA, 521)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medologist342

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS- 3.81 sGPA and 3.88 cGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown- 521 (131, 130, 130, 130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)- MO
  4. Ethnicity and/or race- Asian ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category- Low prestige state uni
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)- 600 hours working as an RMA , also volunteered for ~300 hours at my local hospital where I stocked supplies, fed patients, took vitals, etc
  7. Research experience and productivity- ~1000 hours neuroscience research at university, 1 poster presentation, 1 mid author pub
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented- Well over 80 hours of shadowing various specialties like neurology, nsgy, primary care, obgyn, and cardiology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- ~1200 hours volunteering at food pantry, ~100 hours helping clean trash around city (still continuing)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)-
- VP in a club related to science (all throughout college ~400 hours)
- TA for gen chem 1 (~100 hours)

11. Relevant honors or awards- deans list
12. Anything else not listed you think might be important

-
no gap year trad student
- worried about how to write about each experience and do it justice; looks nice listed out but could be perceived way differently in narrative form

*** looking for a preliminary school list that I can then look through to check for fit

Members don't see this ad.

What type of school do you want to fit with? What communities or passions fuel your motivation to be a physician 10 years from now?
Well I'd say neurologic disorders and the general community of people affected by those interest me the most because I have various family members who's lives I've witnessed change for the worse physically and mentally from them, but I feel like thats a very broad mission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 2 Missouri state public schools
St. Louis
Washington University
U Michigan
Case western
Cincinnati
Rochester
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Emory
USF Morsani
Kaiser

3,800 hours of ECs and no gap year is pretty impressive.

3,800 hours of ECs and no gap year is pretty impressive.
Eh when broken down it isn't anything insane. Been a research assistant since freshman year and that job works around classes so it was easy to do during the year. The MA experience was during summers before sophomore and junior year respectively, and the food pantry work I've been doing since high school and continued into college so it accumulated. Basically all by virtue of doing everything over a long period of time.

I'm still impressed. I had a tough time finding lab or clinical work during the Covid years.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 2 Missouri state public schools
St. Louis
Washington University
U Michigan
Case western
Cincinnati
Rochester
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Georgetown
U Virginia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Emory
USF Morsani
Kaiser
Would this list not be a little top heavy given my sGPA isn't the greatest in the eyes of those schools, and because the school the gpa is gotten from isn't prestigious in any way to make up for any of it? Or am I just being pessimistic?

Would this list not be a little top heavy given my sGPA isn't the greatest in the eyes of those schools, and because the school the gpa is gotten from isn't prestigious in any way to make up for any of it? Or am I just being pessimistic?
You are being pessimistic.

Well I'd say neurologic disorders and the general community of people affected by those interest me the most because I have various family members who's lives I've witnessed change for the worse physically and mentally from them, but I feel like thats a very broad mission.
@Mr.Smile12 Before I finish up with this thread, I did want to get your opinion on the validity of this being a mission? It genuinely is what makes me want to be a physician, but it feels pretty broad to me. I tried to show that passion for neurologic disorders through the bulk of my shadowing hours being with neurology and nsgy, but I'm not sure its enough. Additionally, I was wondering if you knew of any resources or databases that in some way categorize a schools involvement in neuroscience/neurology research as that's one way I intend to weed through some schools and determine fit for myself.

@Mr.Smile12 Before I finish up with this thread, I did want to get your opinion on the validity of this being a mission? It genuinely is what makes me want to be a physician, but it feels pretty broad to me. I tried to show that passion for neurologic disorders through the bulk of my shadowing hours being with neurology and nsgy, but I'm not sure its enough. Additionally, I was wondering if you knew of any resources or databases that in some way categorize a schools involvement in neuroscience/neurology research as that's one way I intend to weed through some schools and determine fit for myself.
Dropping knowledge bomb:
Here's why your mission is so broad: every medical school has to put you through a rotation where you work with patients, so just wanting to work with a specific patient population based on illness will not make you stand out.
This doesn't help you narrow down your list or show that you have a specific vision or goal in mind. (I say this because you can read med school mission statements which also often suffer from this problem: it's so "inclusive" that it renders the school really indistinguishable from everyone else. Med schools want to be everything to everybody, but that's not a mission or a vision.)

The key is you need to know how. You are on the right track wanting to seek databases or resources. But...if you are involved in neuroscience, SfN is a resource, but you aren't really interested in research. There are dozens of professional societies focused on neurology and dozens of journals. You can look up the NIH grants database (NINDS, NIMH) or find the list of medical students supported by HHMI during summer NIH research. You can find out clinical trial sites. You can look up patient advocacy organizations devoted to individual neurological diseases.

In other words, you're doing the search incorrectly because you haven't narrowed down what you want to do yet. (And that's fine... you're not even a medical student.) That's where mentors and experts in the field can help you (including those that have cared for your family members). That's where you lean on your references. That's why you do this as part of your application strategy if you want to be a competitive applicant.

@JisungHan Been seeing you drop some good advice on these threads, so I would appreciate if you'd be able to give your opinion on the school lists suggested above and potential flaws in my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dropping knowledge bomb:
Here's why your mission is so broad: every medical school has to put you through a rotation where you work with patients, so just wanting to work with a specific patient population based on illness will not make you stand out.
This doesn't help you narrow down your list or show that you have a specific vision or goal in mind. (I say this because you can read med school mission statements which also often suffer from this problem: it's so "inclusive" that it renders the school really indistinguishable from everyone else. Med schools want to be everything to everybody, but that's not a mission or a vision.)

The key is you need to know how. You are on the right track wanting to seek databases or resources. But...if you are involved in neuroscience, SfN is a resource, but you aren't really interested in research. There are dozens of professional societies focused on neurology and dozens of journals. You can look up the NIH grants database (NINDS, NIMH) or find the list of medical students supported by HHMI during summer NIH research. You can find out clinical trial sites. You can look up patient advocacy organizations devoted to individual neurological diseases.

In other words, you're doing the search incorrectly because you haven't narrowed down what you want to do yet. (And that's fine... you're not even a medical student.) That's where mentors and experts in the field can help you (including those that have cared for your family members). That's where you lean on your references. That's why you do this as part of your application strategy if you want to be a competitive applicant.
I see, thanks for dropping that gem. Frankly I think the best thing I can do is just ponder what my vision or purpose in the medical field is, because you are right, I don't know yet. I may consider launching a website or organization of some sort to advocate for vertigo patients in my area because that is something I'm interested in and wanted to do regardless.

I see, thanks for dropping that gem. Frankly I think the best thing I can do is just ponder what my vision or purpose in the medical field is, because you are right, I don't know yet. I may consider launching a website or organization of some sort to advocate for vertigo patients in my area because that is something I'm interested in and wanted to do regardless.
I'm not sure trying to start an organization while applying to medical school is good planning. See if there are organizations that can help you get there without having to commit to a future that could divert you from a goal to be a physician.

I'm not sure trying to start an organization while applying to medical school is good planning. See if there are organizations that can help you get there without having to commit to a future that could divert you from a goal to be a physician.
I've applied to be a volunteer as part of their Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion commitee, as well as a medical advocate. This seems like a wonderful opportunity for me to not only talk about in my application and perhaps list as an activity, but more so to continue through medical school and beyond. I can't thank you enough for the help in this thread and resources you pointed me towards @Mr.Smile12

@JisungHan Been seeing you drop some good advice on these threads, so I would appreciate if you'd be able to give your opinion on the school lists suggested above and potential flaws in my application.
Think overall you have a solid application and should get into a US MD your first cycle. Your cGPA is below the median for most T20, so I would apply sparingly to schools of this caliber and focus on having a well rounded list. I recommend the following:

Case
Michigan
WashU
Georgetown
UCSD (UCSF/UCLA if you really want to try)
Pitt
Rush
Loyola
SLU
Tufts

I may consider launching a website or organization of some sort to advocate for vertigo patients in my area because that is something I'm interested in and wanted to do regardless.
Definitely too late to start this if you are applying this cycle. It's not the act of creating an organization/application that makes you impressive - it's the community impact you've had through your entrepreneurial efforts and service-oriented mindset that really makes an app stellar. I don't think this is worth the time if what you're thinking is sending update letters on this activity. You might as well be pre-writing secondaries, as you definitely have a lot of good activities to talk to about.

Think overall you have a solid application and should get into a US MD your first cycle. Your cGPA is below the median for most T20, so I would apply sparingly to schools of this caliber and focus on having a well rounded list. I recommend the following:

Case
Michigan
WashU
Georgetown
Pitt
Rush
Loyola
SLU
Tufts

Definitely too late to start this if you are applying this cycle. It's not the act of creating an organization/application that makes you impressive - it's the community impact you've had through your entrepreneurial efforts and service-oriented mindset that really makes an app stellar. I don't think this is worth the time if what you're thinking is sending update letters on this activity. You might as well be pre-writing secondaries, as you definitely have a lot of good activities to talk to about.
Would UCSD not be super in state biased? I've been under the impression all the UCs are very heavily favored towards in state students, aside from Stanford.

Would UCSD not be super in state biased? I've been under the impression all the UCs are very heavily favored towards in state students, aside from Stanford.
Stanford and Loma Linda are the two CA schools that usually matriculate more OOS than IS.

Stanford and Loma Linda are the two CA schools that usually matriculate more OOS than IS.
Given that, is it still worth applying to UCSD/UCLA/UCSF assuming they likely matriculate more IS than OOS. Each of those schools appeal to me, but I also would hate to be just sending in a donation.

Given that, is it still worth applying to UCSD/UCLA/UCSF assuming they likely matriculate more IS than OOS. Each of those schools appeal to me, but I also would hate to be just sending in a donation.
Generally, no.
Nevertheless a few exceptional candidates will align particularly well.

The reason why I suggested UCSD is because you have decent research productivity, which is more present in the UCSD student body than UCSF/UCLA. The UCs all value service, and your hours in volunteering would definitely align well.

If anything, applying to Stanford would be a donation...

Shoot an app to Mayo too, I went to a Missouri state school, and had a similar app. I also had lower stats than you, yet they still interviewed me. Just gotta create a cohesive narrative in your app and they could definitely bite.

Dropping knowledge bomb:

@Mr.Smile12 I ask this somewhat as a way to test my comprehension of the quoted comment:

As compared to my initial mission I told you of which was to work with patients with neurologic disoders, I feel like after doing research on different databases and advocacy organizations like the one you recommended me, the concept that aligned best with what I'd like to do in the future is to be an advocate for the DEI of vertigo patients. Vertigo in a family member is my primary reason for pursuing medicine, and DEI is something I've worked towards improving over the past few years, just for my religious community moreso than vertigo patients, so combining those two interests not for medical school mission fit and narrative, but for future endeavors and career goals seems to me what my "vision" is.

I say all this really to get your opinion on whether I understood your point or not, and to show potential progress I made in narrowing my vision since you posted that comment. It was an eye opener to say the least.

Case
Michigan
WashU
Georgetown
Pitt
Rush
Loyola
SLU
Tufts

@JisungHan Well for better or worse, my amcas gpa ended up being higher than I listed, mainly my sgpa. I tried calculating it how amcas would and got 3.81 but I accounted for psych courses that they did not and my sgpa ended up at 3.93 since that liberated by sgpa from being weighed down by a few of my worse grades that were in those courses. Given that my gpa increased by a substantial amount, would you say its now viable for me to add a few more T20s into the mix?

@JisungHan Well for better or worse, my amcas gpa ended up being higher than I listed, mainly my sgpa. I tried calculating it how amcas would and got 3.81 but I accounted for psych courses that they did not and my sgpa ended up at 3.93 since that liberated by sgpa from being weighed down by a few of my worse grades that were in those courses. Given that my gpa increased by a substantial amount, would you say its now viable for me to add a few more T20s into the mix?
That's a huge win. I didn't realize psych counts towards BCPM. 3.88 cGPA is still below the median for most, but I think it wouldn't hurt adding more schools... I would say Northwestern and Cornell since they admit more traditional applicants with a lower median GPA. I honestly think you'd get a secondary from UCSF too since you have so many volunteer hours but can't guarantee.