WAMC & School list help - 3.92 GPA, 521 MCAT, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

random73

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.92/3.835
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 521 (130/129/131/131)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MI
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Middle eastern but considered white so ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Public state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 200 hours as an MA (will project another 1,500+ hours for gap year), 160 hours as a caretaker (not 100% sure if this falls under clinical), 90 hours hospice volunteer, 50 hours hospital volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity: around 700 hours working with the same PI on a few projects, no pubs :/, poster but it was through a class so not sure if it counts
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 21 hours internal med, 15 hours ortho surgery, will likely do another 20 hours next month
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 250 hours through volunteer club (many diff projects, also have a leadership role here), wanna find something to do occasionally during my gap year!
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Peer advisor for my major (112 hours), athletic tutor (96 hours), study group facilitator (40 hours), treasurer of a cultural club that also fundraises for a different non-profit every year (guess like 100 hours as member & then treasurer)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Dean’s list every semester but not sure if that is worth adding bc my gpa shows that
  12. Employment: Employment came from multiple things listed above, mostly through work-study
  13. Anything else not listed you think might be important: immigrant & low-income if that makes any difference on where to aim, the school list I came up with is very preliminary and mainly based on location right now (not too sure on where to aim given high stats but pretty regular EC’s) – also, if anyone has any advice on crafting a personal statement because I’m struggling on deciding what I wanna focus on writing about (kind of want to bring in how I love being in a mentor role) - it would be v much appreciated :)

School list: central michigan, louisiana state, michigan state, oakland university, university of toledo, university of illinois, university of wisconsin, wayne state, university of maryland, emory, saint louis, western michigan, ohio state, university of cincinnati, university of pittsburgh, case western, icahn, umich (considered URM here), harvard, northwestern, cornell, columbia, uchicago, yale, hopkins, NYU, upenn – do I take out some of the top tier schools for more mid tier? I also only have MD listed which I think I’ll stick with

Members don't see this ad.

Some of those state schools may screen you as an OOS applicant with stats way above their median (assuming they are public). Indiana seems to like high-stat OOS applicants. Might consider adding to your list since it looks like you're favoring Midwest anyways.

I suspect you'll have some difficulty at those "top tier" schools because nothing really stands out about your ECs, but you never know.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools with your stats and ECs:
U Michigan
Michigan State
Wayne State
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Toledo
Northwestern
Washington University (in St.Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
St. Louis
Vanderbilt
Duke
Jefferson
Case Western
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Tufts
Kaiser
UPenn
Johns Hopkins

Reactions: 1 user
Projected hours won’t count for much on your application. Why not take another gap year and apply when your ECs are more robust?

Reactions: 1 users