WAMC + School List Help: 3.93 sGPA, 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatOneRandomGuy

Reaction score
GPA: cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.93
MCAT: 514 (130/126/130/128)
State: FL state resident (born and lived here all my life)
Ethnicity/Race: ORM/Asian Male
Undergraduate Institution: State FL school (no gap years)

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • 500 hours emergency room department volunteer
  • 100 hours volunteer scribe at local medical clinic

Research experience and productivity:
  • 500 hours microbiology research lab
  • 1 publication research paper as second author

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
  • 110 hours pediatrician
  • 100 hours allergist
  • 25 hours dermatologist

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • 60 hours volunteering as foreign exchange program English conversation partner
  • 160 hours Salvation Army community service volunteering for the underserved community in the local area of my university
  • 100 hours playing piano for the elderly population at local hospital atrium (no patient interactions)

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
  • 2000+ hours of swimming since high school to now (almost a daily activity)
  • 800+ hours of paid work as a library assistant at university library
  • 1500+ hours of piano playing since middle school (it's an avid hobby of mine)
  • I had my photos published in a medical book and the book was published by the physician that I shadowed

Relevant honors or awards:
  • Dean's List

Anything else not listed you think might be important:
  • I had no financial support from my family during college since we could barely make ends meet (think like below 30K per year income total) and I had to work (700+ hours of paid work library assistant) to make my tuition and cost of living feasible.

School List (MD):
  • UF
  • FSU
  • USF
  • FIU
  • FAU
  • Nova (MD)
  • UCF
  • UMiami
  • Wake Forest
  • Quinnipaic
  • Penn State
  • Dartmouth
  • NYMC
  • Tufts
  • Medical College of Wisconsin
  • Emory
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Rochester
  • Brown
  • Boston University
  • Einstein
Please help me add more schools that I have a good shot at! I will also clarify anything if there's anything unclear on this!

Members don't see this ad.

You could add any of these schools:
Georgetown
George Washington
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Western Michigan
Creighton
TCU
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple

Members don't see this ad :)
You are in a solid position, so your success will depend on how you fit with the schools on your list. There's not enough information based on what you provided, so have you done any networking with the schools you desire on your list? That is to say, how have you interacted with current students (AMSA, APAMSA, SNMA) or attended any recruitment events to meet those programs?

Read

You are in a solid position, so your success will depend on how you fit with the schools on your list. There's not enough information based on what you provided, so have you done any networking with the schools you desire on your list? That is to say, how have you interacted with current students (AMSA, APAMSA, SNMA) or attended any recruitment events to meet those programs?

Read
I have done some networking, mostly by attending the open events and showcases for all the public Florida medical schools, especially UF's. I felt that I fit their mission well after speaking with their admissions representative. I also have spoken to current medical students from all the Florida medical schools due to upperclassmen currently attending there and speaking to their friends at that medical school. Through AMSA, I was able to meet quite a number of Florida medical students and one admissions member, but it was relatively brief, around one hour per year or so I'd say.

I've spoken to a few M2's and M3's at Wake Forest as well, and I really liked their unique curriculum there as well. Unfortunately, I did not have as much interactions with the rest of the school's on my list and Faha's list, other than looking into their mission, values, and curriculum which relatively suited me well, albeit why I removed Loyola from my list since I felt that their Jesuit pursuit would not match my relatively low religious-affiliated service involvement; Salvation Army felt more like genuine community service towards the underserved rather than a Christian service center.

Do you think that perhaps my lack of networking with the schools on my list would hurt my chances when applying? I feel that I can express myself relatively to their respective mission-fit programs, but I am worried about not having spoken one-on-one with any of their admissions representatives or current students. The only resources I used was their websites about their medical school and their curriculums, as well as just read through school comparisons posted on the "X Vs. Y Medical School" threads. I couldn't find much regarding how to reach out to their student ambassadors.

Reactions: 1 user
Read

While you don't have to network to get an offer, you should do whatever you can to invest in the communities that you want their support should you go there as a medical student. You need to be as informed as possible about how much of what you see is performative window-dressing versus authentic before you start giving them tuition money.

Read

While you don't have to network to get an offer, you should do whatever you can to invest in the communities that you want their support should you go there as a medical student. You need to be as informed as possible about how much of what you see is performative window-dressing versus authentic before you start giving them tuition money.
Thank you very much, I will be looking into this further!