WAMC & School List Help (3.98 GPA, 515 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafemocha

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't quote this message!

I'm a reapplicant looking for some advice on my application and school list. Additional hours/activities since my last application and schools that I applied to previously are bolded.

cGPA: 3.99, sGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 515
MN, white

Clinical experiences (these are ongoing, projected hours not included here)
  • COVID testing health technician: >500 hours (Paid Employment – Medical/Clinical)
  • Hospital volunteering, elderly patients: 125 hours, 88 new
Research experience
  • Neuro lab, 235 hours (manuscript in the works and likely submitted during this cycle - not mentioned, will provide in update/interviews if it happens), ~35 hours new
  • Mentored research project (for a lab course), ~120 hours
Shadowing experience: 160 hours, orthopedic surgery (clinic and OR)

Non-clinical volunteering
  • Peer tutor for 2 semesters (~35-40 hours each), 1 semester new (Listed as Teaching/Tutoring, through a campus organization)
  • Girl Scout Gold Award project, 120 hours
Other (Additional activities & Honors/Awards)
  • Board member of my college's pre-medical AMSA chapter for 2.5 years, >300 hours, ~75 new (Extracurricular)
  • Retail employment, >200 hours over 3 months (Paid Employment - Not Medical/Clinical)
  • Dean's List all 7 semesters, 1 semester new
  • Phi Beta Kappa
This is my current school list:
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities; received a post II-WL but was later R
FAU
University of Miami
Rush
Tulane
Wayne State
Saint Louis
Wake Forest
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
University of Buffalo
Wright State
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Toledo
OSHU
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Thomas Jefferson University
Geisinger Commonwealth SOM
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Vermont
George Washington
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Colorado
Brown
Arizona – Phoenix and/or Tuscon
University of North Dakota
UCF
UMass
Emory
Quinnipac
Dartmouth

Any recommendations for schools close in proximity to one another would be amazing since I'm applying with my SO (very comparable stats, same state and race) and would like to maximize our chances of being close to one another.

TIA!

Edit: fixed typo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
FAU
University of Miami
Tulane
Wayne State
Saint Louis
Wake Forest
Albany Medical College
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Vermont
George Washington
University of Colorado
Brown
UCF
Emory
Quinnipac
Dartmouth
You could add any of these schools:
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Florida International
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

Reactions: 1 users
You have several state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
FAU
University of Miami
Tulane
Wayne State
Saint Louis
Wake Forest
Albany Medical College
Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Eastern Virginia
VCU
Vermont
George Washington
University of Colorado
Brown
UCF
Emory
Quinnipac
Dartmouth
You could add any of these schools:
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Hofstra
Florida International
TCU-UNT
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Thank you so much, that's super helpful to know! I was using MSAR info to calculate OOS acceptance rates, but unfortunately they don't (always) differentiate between OOS applicants with or without state connections.

Two quick questions for you: First, do you think it would be a good idea to (re)apply to UWSMPH? They fall under the public school/low OOS acceptance rate category, but I went to Madison for undergrad and my research is connected to their Neuro department. I have never applied for residency in WI nor did I indicate WI residency last time I applied out of concern that it would jeopardize my IS status for UMN-Twin Cities, but do you know if they consider connections to the state for OOS applicants? Second, I previously applied to NYMC (secondary submitted in August) and was essentially ghosted until April. Would that make them a no-go for this cycle?

Thanks so much again!

Thank you so much, that's super helpful to know! I was using MSAR info to calculate OOS acceptance rates, but unfortunately they don't (always) differentiate between OOS applicants with or without state connections.

Two quick questions for you: First, do you think it would be a good idea to (re)apply to UWSMPH? They fall under the public school/low OOS acceptance rate category, but I went to Madison for undergrad and my research is connected to their Neuro department. I have never applied for residency in WI nor did I indicate WI residency last time I applied out of concern that it would jeopardize my IS status for UMN-Twin Cities, but do you know if they consider connections to the state for OOS applicants? Second, I previously applied to NYMC (secondary submitted in August) and was essentially ghosted until April. Would that make them a no-go for this cycle?

Thanks so much again!
Apply to NYMC again. U Wisconsin does seem to favor non residents from neighboring states.