WAMC/School list help: 4.0 GPA, 517 MCAT, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rouni

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for help to narrow down a school list. I have schools in mind, but I want to cover all my bases. Applying this upcoming cycle (2023-2024)
1. GPA: 4.0
2. 517 (129/127/130/131)
3. VA resident
4. Whasian female
5. State school, graduating May 2023
6. Clinical Experiences
Volunteer EMT-B in rural counties (1000 hours/since May 2021

Employed personal care aide at nursing home and home health (380 hours/since June 2021)

Employed EMT-B in interfacility transport (200 hours/Summer 2021)

Volunteer scribe at free clinic in my home city (300 hours/since HS but interrupted by COVID between 3/2020 and 6/2022)

7. Research experience
Non-productive research (no presentations or publications) after research in microbiology lab (150 hours) and some experiences in HS (100 hours)

8. Shadowing experience included internal medicine (nephrology, infectious disease, rheumatology) , neurology, pediatrics, and pathology (150 hours total)

9. Nonclinical Experience
Volunteer Student teacher for program teaching K-12 kids to play instruments (230 hours)

Volunteer at county animal shelter (120 hours)

10. Other ECs

Employed undergrad TA for biochem course (100 hours)

Farmhand throughout with instructional position for kids and adults (1000 hours)

I would like to apply to some DO schools but all of the physicians I shadowed were MD, so if there are any recommendations on solid DO schools that do not require DO specific shadowing I would apply there.

I have also been pushing a narrative on education and serving marginalized communities (mostly rural ones) but I am occasionally worried my EC's may not support this enough. I really am passionate about education in all contexts and what it can do to help others but if I need to change how I am consolidating my application, I should do it sooner rather than later. Here's a list of schools I know I will be applying to:

EVMS
VCU
UVA
George Washington
Georgetown
UAB - strong personal ties to region
South Alabama - see above
Vermont
Wake Forest
UT - undergrad in Appalachia, native to blue ridge
West Virginia - see above
Marshall - see above
UArizona Phoenix
Tufts
Pittsburg
Penn State
Maryland - lots of family nearby
Emory
Brown
Jefferson
Albany
Geisinger
Dartmouth

I'm completely open to taking schools on or off this list. Thank you again for the help.
@Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you taught extensively through the farmhand position, that along with your rural clinical experience is more than enough for your narrative.

I suggest:

EVMS
VCU
UVA
Virginia Tech
South Alabama
Vermont
West Virginia
Tufts (see Maine track)
Pitt
Maryland
Emory
Brown
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Columbia (has a rural option)
Boston
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Mayo
Iowa
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Vanderbilt
Saint Louis
Miami
USF

You do not need to apply to DO schools and have strong chances at your state programs. I swapped out some schools like UT and Marshall for options out of the area that you are competitive for and may interest you over the VA schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you taught extensively through the farmhand position, that along with your rural clinical experience is more than enough for your narrative.

I suggest:

EVMS
VCU
UVA
Virginia Tech
South Alabama
Vermont
West Virginia
Tufts (see Maine track)
Pitt
Maryland
Emory
Brown
Jefferson
Dartmouth
Columbia (has a rural option)
Boston
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Mayo
Iowa
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Vanderbilt
Saint Louis
Miami
USF

You do not need to apply to DO schools and have strong chances at your state programs. I swapped out some schools like UT and Marshall for options out of the area that you are competitive for and may interest you over the VA schools.
thank you very much!

If you are in Virginia, the state DO organization is very active and can find you a DO to shadow easily. I agree you shouldn't have to settle for DO, but you could give VCOM a shot as an in-state, and VCOM has a lot of seats.