WAMC/School List Help for 3.48 cGPA/3.36 sGPA/ 513 MCAT w/ GPA upward trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soche

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My first post around here but I was wondering if I could get some guidance on how to create/edit my school list and overall chances based on my stats and some EC information. Currently going into my 4th gap year.

cGPA/sGPA:
cGPA of 3.48 and sGPA of 3.36. Upward trend starting around my 2nd year of undergrad, with a decent explanation of why I had a lower starting GPA.
Trend is as follows per year: cGPA (3.1/3.23/3.72/3.85) and sGPA (2.68/3.23/3.73/3.80).
MCAT: 513 (129/128/127/129) taken last year
State of residence: CA
Ethnicity and/or race: SEA/Asian ORM (not sure how to go after this. Erring on the cautious side and calling myself an ORM, but some schools like UCSF consider this and other SEA ethnicities URMs)
Undergraduate institution: UCLA
Clinical experience (4000+ hours):
  • Medical Scribe: 400 hours for internist group.
  • Medical Assistant/Scribe for Retinal Ophthalmology: 2300 hours for retinologist group. One of my most important experience. Shifts at our group were set up so that half the time was MA intake and patient workup, and the other half you were in with the physician (80% patient prep for anti-VEGF/laser procedures and 20% actual typing). Did a little bit of research work with our CRC on-site as well and got me thinking about doing clinical research as I had to take an unexpected gap year at this point.
  • Lead Clinical Research Coordinator: 1400 hours in non-academic focused industry research. Current role, mostly working in industry.
Research experience (combined 2.5 years, no pubs):
  • Wet lab research in pharmacology lab. 0 publications or presentations. Initially had plans to work during my gaps years as research was always my weak point but fell off the boat due to COVID, getting LoR from my PI and Post-doc that I worked for.
  • Clinical research for the Emergency Room.
  • Clinical research coordinator currently in industry, see above.
Shadowing experience:
Definitely lacking here: 30 hours in endocrinology, 20 hours in emergency medicine.
Non-clinical volunteering (2000+ hours):
  • Social Caseworker: Worked for a year as a social caseworker for a street-side clinic, 500 hours. Most important.
  • Leadership in on-campus tutoring club: Biggest longitudinal volunteer work. 3 years, 1000+ hrs. Most important.
  • BLS Instructor: 80 hours.
  • General volunteer in Inland Empire postgrad: 500 hours.
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
Music has always been a huge part of my life since I was a kid. Played a lot of instruments, during college I got into DJ'ing and music production. Would also teach music and theory to kids to make some extra money during college. Cooking and dinner parties was a big thing during college and post-grad after COVID restrictions lifted. Really got into building keyboards and met a lot of sick people online during the pandemic.
Relevant honors or awards:
Nothing, just a few Dean's Lists.
Anything else not listed you think might be important:
Like I said above, I had a lot of family things that happened to pull away my attention from school my first two years. Traveled back home a lot to support my siblings and mom. During COVID I also had a lot of family obligations where I had to step in and help in a huge financial way for my family as well. I have a lot of gap years which I'm worried about as nothing as been super longitudinal but nothing I can do now. Going to focus a lot on my SEAand ESL topics due to experiences I've had working with SEA patients.

School List:
Going to focus a lot on DO according to WedgeDawg. My stats and lack of research publications drag me down pretty substantially IMO. As my resume and activities are highly service-based with an emphasis on working with underserved populations, especially populations that experience disparities in care from lack of translation. As such, my reach schools include state schools like UCSF, UCLA, and UCI.

I am not sure how well UCI would be for me and if it would be a waste of a school slot as I am limited, but I know there's a huge Viet demographic in the OC where I've worked in the past. Other schools include Rush, Georgetown, UC Davis, UC Riverside, WesternU DO, CUSM. I think ideally if I can make it to an allopathic I would shoot for UC Davis as I'm from NorCal originally, but crafting the DO list is more difficult. If there's any advice I could get here for suggestions to get up to 20 schools would be awesome!

Thanks for reading this long NYT Best seller :)

edit: wow this got really long my god

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Kaiser
TCU
Creighton
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
CUSOM
PCOM

Thank you so much! Is UCLA too far out of my stat range to even try? mostly worried about getting instantly screened out for my low stats but would love to go back to ww

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA is not realistic.
Thank you for your honesty and time spent making this list. Anything that I should be wary about for Georgetown if you know? I know they have a huge emphasis on volunteering and with DC's big homeless population that sounds like a sick place to end up where I can continue to serve that community

Thank you for your honesty and time spent making this list. Anything that I should be wary about for Georgetown if you know? I know they have a huge emphasis on volunteering and with DC's big homeless population that sounds like a sick place to end up where I can continue to serve that community
Your Social Casework and other volunteering will appeal to Georgetown.

Your Social Casework and other volunteering will appeal to Georgetown.
Awesome. One last question here, I see a lot in other posts that tutoring is a common thing and that just being a tutor does not really "count" as volunteering. However, I spent a lot of time on the board of a tutoring organization where for 2 years, I lead a team to expand our services outwards from the more affluent west LA to inner city/underserved kids. These services included bringing tutoring sessions to locations much closer to these new areas, as well as holding multiple college readiness workshops/personal assistant to increase access for these kids to pursue higher education. Would this still fall under a general net of tutoring for schools?

edit: just realized this is a dumb question since it's most important to me and should just be honest. clearly answered my own question when asking.