WAMC/School List Help (NCAA Athlete)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyyellowturtle

Reaction score
Hello! I am brand new to sdn, but have been looking at some of the recent WAMC posts and decide to give it a try! Would love your opinion on my chances as well as help with a school list (want to apply to about 20ish and willing to apply widespread around the country)

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.97
Double Science Major
MCAT: 522

About Me:
Residence: Iowa
White Female
Undergraduate Institution Category: Mid Size Public University

Clinical Experience:
60 hrs volunteering (covid canceled)
500 hrs hospital CNA

Research:
550 hrs for independent grant-funded projects in biomedicine
75 hrs for individual sociology research project

Future: 350 hrs biomedical research + final thesis paper

Posters / Presentations / Publications:
Sociology: virtual poster presentation and 1st author publication in undergrad honors journal
Biomedicine: virtual poster presentation and submission to university’s digital conservancy
General Science: 1st author medical research review article in undergrad journal (not my own research)

*Poster presentation scheduled in August
*Poster presentations expected in November and April and May
*Maybe more pubs?

Shadowing:
Total: 105 hrs
6 different specialties

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
500 hrs with children/youth
500 hrs other

Leadership:
300 hrs bible study leader (only leadership hours counted)
50 hrs undergraduate journal editor in chief

Extra-Curricular Activities:
2700+ hrs NCAA athlete
335 hrs other clubs

Non-Clinical Work:
300 hrs (noncertified) Home Health Aid (might be clinical might not – going to put it as non) (summer)
350 hrs university student worker (during school year)
800 hrs working with kids in the summer

Teaching / Tutoring / TA:
165 hrs unpaid tutoring
115 hrs TAing
170 hrs homework grading

Honors and Awards (Not mentioned above):
150 hrs University’s General Honors Program
50 hrs National Senior Honors Society
Collegiate Scholarships: 7
Academic Awards: 4

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Iowa
Mayo (both schools)
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Brown
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
Rochester
UPenn
Johns Hopkins
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
USC Keck
UCLA
UCSF
Stanford

I would apply to whatever top 20 schools you want + all your state schools/regional safeties. Aim for at least 20. Faha gave you a good list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am brand new to sdn, but have been looking at some of the recent WAMC posts and decide to give it a try! Would love your opinion on my chances as well as help with a school list (want to apply to about 20ish and willing to apply widespread around the country)

Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.97
Double Science Major
MCAT: 522

About Me:
Residence: Iowa
White Female
Undergraduate Institution Category: Mid Size Public University

Clinical Experience:
60 hrs volunteering (covid canceled)
500 hrs hospital CNA

Research:
550 hrs for independent grant-funded projects in biomedicine
75 hrs for individual sociology research project

Future: 350 hrs biomedical research + final thesis paper

Posters / Presentations / Publications:
Sociology: virtual poster presentation and 1st author publication in undergrad honors journal
Biomedicine: virtual poster presentation and submission to university’s digital conservancy
General Science: 1st author medical research review article in undergrad journal (not my own research)

*Poster presentation scheduled in August
*Poster presentations expected in November and April and May
*Maybe more pubs?

Shadowing:
Total: 105 hrs
6 different specialties

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
500 hrs with children/youth
500 hrs other

Leadership:
300 hrs bible study leader (only leadership hours counted)
50 hrs undergraduate journal editor in chief

Extra-Curricular Activities:
2700+ hrs NCAA athlete
335 hrs other clubs

Non-Clinical Work:
300 hrs (noncertified) Home Health Aid (might be clinical might not – going to put it as non) (summer)
350 hrs university student worker (during school year)
800 hrs working with kids in the summer

Teaching / Tutoring / TA:
165 hrs unpaid tutoring
115 hrs TAing
170 hrs homework grading

Honors and Awards (Not mentioned above):
150 hrs University’s General Honors Program
50 hrs National Senior Honors Society
Collegiate Scholarships: 7
Academic Awards: 4
Just read another thread. It seems you need a lot more clinical hours (150-200 minimum; 1000+ for top schools). I'd be interested in finding our more about how NCAA athletic participation factors into the equation. You have a lot of hours there, like most student athletes, but I'm curious as to how med schools count those. IMO, they demonstrate a lot of commitment and follow though to your sport.

Just read another thread. It seems you need a lot more clinical hours (150-200 minimum; 1000+ for top schools). I'd be interested in finding our more about how NCAA athletic participation factors into the equation. You have a lot of hours there, like most student athletes, but I'm curious as to how med schools count those. IMO, they demonstrate a lot of commitment and follow though to your sport.
You don’t need 1000+ hours of clinical experience, even for top schools. I promise you.

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t need 1000+ hours of clinical experience, even for top schools. I promise you.
Thanks, I thought it sounded high, but I got it from another poster in another thread. What are the minimum hours for clinical (which have been nearly impossible this year with COVID, outside COVID testing gigs) and do adcoms cut athletes any slack given the amount of time required to participate in NCAA sports?

Thanks, I thought it sounded high, but I got it from another poster in another thread. What are the minimum hours for clinical (which have been nearly impossible this year with COVID, outside COVID testing gigs) and do adcoms cut athletes any slack given the amount of time required to participate in NCAA sports?
Athlete status is a big plus. And there are no “minimums” per de. It’s all about getting enough to get insight for interviews essays and your own self about medicine as a career path.

typically 150 hours of clinical volunteering + 50 hours of shadowing are solid numbers.

Last edited:
Athlete status is a big plus. And there are no “minimums” per de. It’s all about getting enough to get insight for interviews essays and your own self about medicine as a career path.
Thanks! The OP's record looks phenomenal to me. But, in my estimate, adding 1000+ clinical hours would mean no athlete would ever have time to qualify without using a gap year.