MD & DO WAMC/School List/Honest Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedwithadream

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

First off I'm new to SDN and the way it works so I apologize if I mess anything up. Was just looking for advice regarding a school list/what my chances are in general.

For starters:
3.4 cGPA 3.45sGPA
505 MCAT
mid20s, M, CA, white (middle eastern)

I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling pretty discouraged. I know my stats are definitely on the lower end, and am seeking genuine advice because i'm worried about applying MD to begin with.

In terms of EC/LoR
-5 LoR (1 MD, 1upper div bio, 1calculus, 1english, 1fromPI) --> all my LoR writers have a PhD and have written me outstanding letters, just thought I'd throw that out there, I truly don't know if it makes a difference

-4000 Hours as a scribe
-2000 hours in research with a publication as a secondary author
-1000 hours employment as a tutor serving underprivileged areas
-400 non medical volunteering (general service)
-400 hours as frat board (lol)
-350 hours as a lab tech during school (in a world renowned lab)
-250 hours as a rep for honors program and for students at CC
-160 hours as intern in hospital shadowing diff physicians/nurses/staff
-150 hours as volunteer for city events (awarded by the county with a certificate)

I went to CC for 3 years, a UC for two, and took two gap years. As you can tell I've worked a lot, but because I've needed to support myself/family. Have significant disadvantaged socioeconomic status (abusive father who was also jailed for finance related reasons, multiple evictions and bouts of homelessness, ultimately living at my grandmas with mother and three siblings in a room)

I believe I told my story appropriately in my PS, but don't even know if that's enough to actually be considered/bolster the rest of my app.

Please give your input! I would really really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply to both DO and MD schools. For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have less than a 30% chance for a MD acceptance (less than that as a CA applicant). You could try these schools:
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
California University
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Penn State