WAMC/School List: Mid Stats(cGPA, 3.72 sGPA 3.26, 518), High clinical, Low EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeNotAfraid

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS : 3.72 & 3.26, respectively
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 518 130/131/129/128
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): California
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM (Filipino)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: UCSD
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) - 4000 hrs (across 3 different jobs -inpatient psychiatry worker, optometry office, outpatient interventional psychiatry)
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~100 hrs, chemistry lab, no pubs/presentations (my job is considered a clinical AND research position. I’m working mainly a clinical position, but collecting data for research studies as I’m working at a medical research institution)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented - ~35 hrs, psychiatry
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~30 hrs, homeless shelter
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) - none
  11. Relevant honors or awards - none
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important - none
School List:
Cat 2: UCLA, UCSD, Case Western, Michigan, Mayo Az
Cat 3: USC, UVA, Ohio State, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra
Cat 4-7: CUSM, UCI, UCD, UCR, U Arizona, Colorado, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, Cincinnati, Indiana, Iowa, Miami,VCU, Toledo, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, U Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Maryland, Jefferson, Tufts, Boston, Drexel, Geisinger Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, Penn

I know my sGPA and lack of non-paid EC’s are a mark against me. I’ve been working jobs since high school and supporting myself since my 2nd year of college, so I’ve never found the time to do a whole bunch other than work. I plan on also applying to DO schools, mainly California, Arizona, and Nevada programs.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your sGPA and no connection to the state . You low non clinical volunteering hours may also limit your chances for interviews at some schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California University
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
For DO schools you could try these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-COM

Reactions: 1 user
Non-clinical volunteering: ~30 hrs, homeless shelter
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) - none
As pointed out, having very few community service hours is going to put your application at risk of getting screened out. Lack of leadership is not helpful either.
I’ve been working jobs since high school and supporting myself since my 2nd year of college, so I’ve never found the time to do a whole bunch other than work.
I get it, and it may help with many UC programs looking for more applicants from lower social and economic status. But one still had to show service orientation at a sufficient level and competency for admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with your sGPA and no connection to the state . You low non clinical volunteering hours may also limit your chances for interviews at some schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
UC Irvine
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California University
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
For DO schools you could try these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-COM
I grew up in a military family so I lived in a couple different states where I included - namely Arizona and Maryland. Does living in those states for a couple years allow me to have it count as some ties to the state? I still have friends there and in the case of Arizona, family.

I grew up in a military family so I lived in a couple different states where I included - namely Arizona and Maryland. Does living in those states for a couple years allow me to have it count as some ties to the state? I still have friends there and in the case of Arizona, family.
Living in a state for a couple of years (unless it was for undergraduate or graduate school) is not a connection for the purpose of medical school admissions.

Reactions: 1 users