WAMC/School List: ORM (MCAT: 512, GPA: 3.93)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artemis20

Reaction score
  • GPA: 3.93 cgpa 3.93 sgpa
  • Major: Biochemistry Major
  • MCAT: 512 (129/125/129/139)
  • ORM/URM: ORM, White (high income - privileged background)
  • Michigan Resident
  • Clinical volunteering: 256 hours
    • 96 hours at free clinic where I worked as a EMT. Most patients are uninsured and disadvantaged.
    • 160 at a Canadian free clinic. Same experience as above
    • Could be inflated higher if I consider my first year as an on campus EMT where I was not paid.
  • Non-clinical volunteering:250 hours
    • 150 hours volunteering mentoring high school students about stem for FIRST Robotics.
      • Taught programming and electrical concepts in a robotic setting.
    • 50 hours volunteering for meals on wheels (transporting food to elderly)
    • 50 hours volunteering for a local environmental organization removing invasive species
  • Shadowing: ~80 hours, Family practice, Radiology, Pediatric general surgery, internal medicine, ENT
  • Clinical Experience: 2500 hours
    • Worked as an on campus EMT
      • Operations Chief
  • Teaching/Tutoring: ~150 hours as biology TA and as a STOP THE BLEED instructor
  • Research: 1500 hours
    • 3 years in biology research lab. Invented and freely released design.
    • 1 year working remote for a electrical engineering / computer science lab
  • Pubs/Posters: 1 first author publication. Working on second publication (2nd or 3rd author). 2 posters presented at symposiums
  • LORS: 1 strong research, 1 non-science, 2 science, 1 strong physician recommendation, 1 TA professor rec.
  • Other potentially interesting facts?:
    • 2nd degree black belt, Lead rock climber, competitive military obstacle course runner, Freshman RA for 2 years.
    • Distinguished achievement award for the invention. Earned scholarship as a result.

Starter list? I really would love Loyola and GW so any advice specifically for them would be great.
University of Chicago
Northwestern
Boston
Icahn School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
Vanderbilt
UVA
University of Pennsylvania
University of Michigan
University of Arizona
Brown
Emory
Albert Einstein
Hackensack Meridian
Tufts
Sidney Kimmel - Thomas Jeff
University of Miami
University of North Carolina
Western Michigan
VCU
University of Maryland
SUNY Downstate
Rutgers Robert Wood
Georgetown
Cooper - Rowan University
Rosalind Franklin
University of Tennessee
Wayne State
Virginia Tech
University of Illinois
Wake Forest
Tulane
Penn State
Oakland University
Temple University
George Washington
Loyola
University of South Carolina
University of Arizona
Drexel
University of Missouri
Rush
MSU
Albany
University of South Carolina

Members don't see this ad.

I really would love Loyola and GW so any advice specifically for them would be great.

50 hours volunteering for meals on wheels (transporting food to elderly)
You need a lot more than 50 hours here. Among the community service experiences you list, this one must addresses service orientation. You need 150 to avoid getting screened out at most schools, but you probably must have at least 250 or more to be an average desirable applicant for these programs. For Rush (and likely Loyola), get closer to 750+ hours by submission.

You need a lot more than 50 hours here. Among the community service experiences you list, this one must addresses service orientation. You need 150 to avoid getting screened out at most schools, but you probably must have at least 250 or more to be an average desirable applicant for these programs. For Rush (and likely Loyola), get closer to 750+ hours by submission.
Unfortunately, this is my final semester but I am taking a gap year. I have a job lined up that I could quit and just volunteer full time. Would those schools care for projected volunteer hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, this is my final semester but I am taking a gap year. I have a job lined up that I could quit and just volunteer full time. Would those schools care for projected volunteer hours?
No. Just like we take courses in progress as plans but not commitments.

Reactions: 1 user
You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with a MCAT of 512 and no connection to the state. Also, you have several other schools that are unrealistic with a MCAT of 512. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
U Michigan
Toledo
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
TCU
Belmont