WAMC/School list review (520/3.65 ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decongestant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats and demographics:
Indiana ORM, first generation, low SES, from rural+underserved area, FAP recipient
Graduated from satellite campus of state school, biochemistry major
Family ties to Indiana, North Carolina, Ohio, Missouri, and Wisconsin

MCAT: 520
cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.59, last 60 credits GPA was 3.86

EC's:
Mostly paid, I did not receive strong financial aid and did not get family help with tuition, so I was forced to be employed continuously throughout my entire education, averaging 30 hours/week during academic seasons and full time during breaks. I've done my best to seek employment that puts me in a position to get clinical exposure and/or help patients.

Paid:

[Clinical] ~2000 hours rural ED scribing (near full time for a year and a half). Held a temporary management position as I was the most involved of the 3 scribes employed at our hospital when we were without a lead.
[Nonclinical] ~2600 hours pharmacy technician, working with a rural and underserved population
~30 hours tutoring elementary school students through a work-study

- Recently started work as an industry chemist doing QC on dialysis products, can project ~860 hours as I will be working here full time for at least the next 5 months.

Unpaid:
~100-150 hours tutoring organic chemistry students, though unofficially (hosted study sessions at my SO's university where I answered questions and explained topics to small-ish groups) [I plan on counting this as more of a hobby as it's impossible to verify hours]

Research: ~500-600 hours unpaid in my campus' biochemistry lab. I am the only student working on the project and have been for the last 3 years so it's been slow and difficult. No pubs but 1st author paper soon to be submitted. 2 Posters at campus symposiums, one at state conference, one at regional conference.

Shadowing: None yet, seeking FM, IM, and hopefully some time with a surgical speciality.

Volunteering: No clinical, unfortunately Nonclinical: Roughly 200 hours across 3 years working for a safe-use and naloxone distribution program. I prepared and sent kits to families and users alike containing things like sterile saline, alcohol wipes, fentanyl test strips, as well as dedicated kits to administer IM naloxone (needles, syringes, vials, instructions and contact info for local treatment programs). I feel that it's somewhat weak because most hours were spent preparing kits in my own home, not having much in-person contact with the people receiving them.

Hobbies: Started college as an art major (was still taking prereqs but changed major because I couldn't keep up with both) and still love painting and sketching.

LORs: I was very well liked by the physicians I scribed for and expect to receive strong LORs from at least 2
(1 MD who is also the ED director, and 1 DO)
I am close with my biochemistry professor who supervises my research and should receive one from her as well. My microbiology and immunology professor is also the director of my campus' science department and has also agreed to a LOR.
May receive LOR from previous art history professor as well, though I do not have much of a relationship with them.

School list so far:
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
UW Madison
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
U Chicago Pritzker
St. Louis
Miami Miller
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Case Western
Jefferson
Einstein
Mt. Sinai
Tufts
Boston
Dartmouth
Wake
Hackensack

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have not submitted primaries yet but plan to do so within the next few days.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With how extensive your clinical experience is having no unpaid clinical volunteering is just fine. Your non-clinical volunteering is also pretty good, but that's definitely the place where you should focus the most along with shadowing. Try to have a few shadowing hours before you submit your primary, if you haven't already. Start with FM and, even if you can have 6 to 8 hours as an entry on your primary before you submit, that should be enough to avoid getting screened out.

Reactions: 1 user
The timeline for me is not absolutely clear, but I think having to work while going to school allows for some context about your application. Make sure that the schools on your list can help address your interest with rural health. (I have to see if Central Michigan is a good fit, but I don't know how they work with OOS or anyone who might not want to stay in Michigan).

Family ties do not count usually (especially outside your direct family with the number of states you were indicating). However, you stuck with the ones that take a significant number of OOS students regardless.

Oakland, Wayne State, and Loyola are service-focused and target applicants with a lower MCAT score than yours. Rosalind Franklin likely won’t think you will attend.

Replace Sinai with Columbia since they have a rural track. Also add:

Hofstra
Rochester
UVA
Iowa
USF Morsani
Vermont
Colorado
Vanderbilt

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user