MD & DO WAMC / School List Undergrad: 3.58 cGPA Post-Bacc: 3.86 cGPA 3.83 sGPA 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell879

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
Undergraduate:
cGPA - 3.49 (Bachelor’s in Psychology)
Post-Bacc:
cGPA - 3.86
sGPA - 3.83
*Not sure if relevant, but got B- my first semester of post-bacc and have strong upward trend for the rest of the program
Post-Bacc + Undergrad:
cGPA - 3.58
sGPA - 3.67

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
509 (128/127/125/129)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
Florida
Ethnicity and/or race
White
Undergraduate institution or category
University of South Florida
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
Hospice volunteer - 306 hrs

Research experience and productivity
Clinical Research Assistant (volunteer) - 416 hours
Clinical Research Assistant (employed) with the same group they just hired me and I began doing part-time hours - 800 hours

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Dermatology - 15 hours
Critical Care + cardiac anesthesiologist (observe an open heart surgery) - 20 hours
Medi-gators (virtual shadowing) - 200 hours - a program offered by the University of Florida (where I did my post-bacc program) four times a week health professionals would give an hour presentation about their role, how they got their, day-to-day, etc

Non-clinical volunteering
Crisis Counselor and trainer for Alachua County Crisis Center / 988 Lifeline - 550 hours
Service Group Leader - 100 hours - throughout my program, I led service group projects such as park cleanups, food drives, cards for veterans, etc. Did 1-2 projects a month consistently throughout the program.

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Post-Bacc Tutor (part-time job) - 800 hours
Post-bacc will hire students to be an assistant/tutors for future cohorts of the program
Rec soccer - 40 hours
Small Business Internship - 100 hours
intern with a small business owner and helped him move his business online (invoices, booking, website, etc)

Relevant honors or awards
n/a

Anything else not listed you think might be important
Liked psych, but decided mid-way through my degree it was not concrete enough for me and felt narrowed by the limited scope. Felt drawn to medicine for a more objective and comprehensive approach to the human experience.

Current School List:
MD
Florida Schools ( UF / FSU / NOVA / FIU )
Carle Illinois College of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Loyola University Chicago
Rush
University of Illonois
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Thomas Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
Hackensack Merdian
Rutgers
MUSC
Tufts
Tulane
Wake Forest
University of Washington

DO
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCOM
LECOM
UNECOM
VCOM
ACOM
*credit Goro “good boi list”*
Would be very willing to add/remove any based on input. I apologize if the MD list seems “carelessly” thrown together. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting to get the MCAT score I did ( I know the 125 isn’t great ) based on my 505 averages, so was planning on applying just DO. Any feedback recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. Happy to elaborate on anything and appreciate all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your cGPA and sGPA including your post bacc courses ?
Ah I was mistaken but confirmed with my application. my total gpas (undergrad + post-bacc) would be a cGPA: 3.58 and sGPA: 3.67. Are those the numbers I should more so look at when looking at GPA metrics for schools?

edited initial post with correction

Florida Schools ( UF / FSU / NOVA / FIU )
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
Loyola University Chicago
Rush
Drexel
Temple (maybe)
Georgetown
George Washington
Hackensack Merdian
Tulane
Wake Forest
U Miami
Creighton
Netter
Albany
EVMS
VCU
DO
PCOM
CUSOM
MUCOM
KCU
both Westerns
Touro-CA
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
AZCOM
CCOM (but watch tuition!)
KCOM
LECOM
VCOM (all except LA)
ACOM
KYCOM
DMU
UIW
*credit Goro “good boi list”*

More realistic list above

Reactions: 1 user
You have a good DO list. In your MD list Carle Illinois is looking for applicants with an engineering background. You also have several state public schools that admit very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these MD schools:
U Florida
Florida State
USF Morsani
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

You have a good DO list. In your MD list Carle Illinois is looking for applicants with an engineering background. You also have several state public schools that admit very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. I suggest these MD schools:
U Florida
Florida State
USF Morsani
Miami
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you so much for taking the time to help! Your insight is greatly appreciated.

1) Get more in-person shadowing. The virtual shadowing is nice, but it's like a lecture series as it's described. Good information, but you're not smelling the patients or the Clorox. :) Get to at least 50 hours total to be safe, so I suggest 30 hours in a primary care area if you can. I don't know how your CRA work helps with this suggestion.

View

Service Group Leader - 100 hours - throughout my program, I led service group projects such as park cleanups, food drives, cards for veterans, etc. Did 1-2 projects a month consistently throughout the program.
Ideally you need to get to 150 hours to avoid your application getting screened out by most medical schools for insufficient demonstration of service orientation (alleviating others' distress). Your crisis counseling helps, but you also have to show service orientation is not completely dependent on teaching or healthcare opportunities. Furthermore, you need to show your service orientation is independent of being part of a school organization as an expectation of your time as a student (ideally). Were you part of a campus group as a service group leader?

I appreciate
1) Get more in-person shadowing. The virtual shadowing is nice, but it's like a lecture series as it's described. Good information, but you're not smelling the patients or the Clorox. :) Get to at least 50 hours total to be safe, so I suggest 30 hours in a primary care area if you can. I don't know how your CRA work helps with this suggestion.

View

Ideally you need to get to 150 hours to avoid your application getting screened out by most medical schools for insufficient demonstration of service orientation (alleviating others' distress). Your crisis counseling helps, but you also have to show service orientation is not completely dependent on teaching or healthcare opportunities. Furthermore, you need to show your service orientation is independent of being part of a school organization as an expectation of your time as a student (ideally). Were you part of a campus group as a service group leader?

I appreciate you taking the time and for your feedback.

1. I definitely plan to get more shadowing and already have some scheduled for over the summer. I will try to get as much as I can to be safe.
2. I appreciate this suggestion a lot because a lot of my volunteering was through a campus group, so I will set up times for myself to find volunteer opportunities independent of school.

Thanks again for your help :)