WAMC/school list: very high stats (4.0/526) + mediocre ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soupsandwiches

Reaction score
deleted for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if you are too generic for the 50 Top 20's, but in order for you to know, I'd focus on networking with programs that are on your wishlist. I don't know if you have had any success networking from your clinical or research experience. By the way, I'd consider shadowing more in different specialties like IM/FM or EM. Your non-clinical volunteering is light to date (tutoring is teaching).

How do you think you fit the educational mission of the schools near the top of your list? Get an MSAR. Go to recruitment open houses (virtual or in-person) over the next few months. Prepare secondary application essays now as you make your list.

Any evidence of social advocacy and how it matters to you as a healthcare provider? (Treating Trans Patients and Becoming a Student Doctor will help with this.)

PREview schools may grow in number over the next year or two. And Casper/Altus may grow within the GME domain while you are in medical school. Do not rely on just the current list, and begin preparing for all SJT's. (BSD course.)

NB: If the weird sport is Quiddich... :)

You check the boxes for volunteering and your stats are stellar. If the sport was in the Summer or Winter Olympics - or was something like skateboarding - you’re fine. As long as it wasn’t Quidditch…how that comes off is above my pay grade. You have a shot at top schools.

I think the top schools would love to see you working with an Americorps organization during your gap year and expanding your leadership ECs.

Reactions: 1 users