WAMC: School recommendations and chances of admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelloGuys

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT Score: 19AA, 18TS, 19 PAT
State: USA-OR

Undergrad Attended: OSU
Major: Biohealth Sciences
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing: 60hrs - in person
Volunteering: 120hrs - in person volunteering donating supplies to Ukraine
Employment: 200hrs - cashiering and customer support
Research: 160 hrs - in person/ online, presented for the OSU Summer symposium
Extracurricular: Dental Club - 50 hrs in person as an officer, Biochem Club - 50hrs in person as an officer
Honors/ Rewards: Deans List/ Honor List all terms, URSA Research Award
LoR: Committee/ Decent Strength
Miscellaneous Info: Down trending GPA, Gap term taken off to prep for the DAT
Schools List:
LSU
DCG
OSU
MICH
COL
UNE
FLA
PITT
SUSB (Stony Brook)
PENN
CUL
MYD (Maryland)
MQT (Marquette)
MWU (Midwestern)
OHSU (in-state)
BUF
CRE (Creighton)
LECOM
TCDM (Touro)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Low DAT and down trending GPA doesn't help your case but in state should be easy to get as they take 50%.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall GPA: 3.84
Science GPA: 3.8
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9
DAT Score: 19AA, 18TS, 19 PAT
State: USA-OR

Undergrad Attended: OSU
Major: Biohealth Sciences
Minority: No
Reapplicant: No
Nontrad: No

Shadowing: 60hrs - in person
Volunteering: 120hrs - in person volunteering donating supplies to Ukraine
Employment: 200hrs - cashiering and customer support
Research: 160 hrs - in person/ online, presented for the OSU Summer symposium
Extracurricular: Dental Club - 50 hrs in person as an officer, Biochem Club - 50hrs in person as an officer
Honors/ Rewards: Deans List/ Honor List all terms, URSA Research Award
LoR: Committee/ Decent Strength
Miscellaneous Info: Down trending GPA, Gap term taken off to prep for the DAT
Schools List:
LSU
DCG
OSU
MICH
COL
UNE
FLA
PITT
SUSB
PENN
CUL
MYD
MQT
MWU

OHSU (in-state)
BUF
CRE
LECOM
TCDM
what are the bolded schools?
your abbreviations are not clear...

when are you going to submit your app?
your school list makes no sense to me logically nor geographically...

have you volunteered/shadowed/ attended events at OHSU d school?

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the bolded schools?
your abbreviations are not clear...

when are you going to submit your app?
your school list makes no sense to me logically nor geographically...

have you volunteered/shadowed/ attended events at OHSU d school?
I was thinking of applying end of July/ early August. The list was just general schools that I think I have a chance of acceptance in and don't mind the environment of. Doesn't really need to geographically be similar. Logically, I believe at these schools I may have a chance of acceptance, but wanted the communities opinion on what schools I should apply to. During my freshman year I attended an OHSU information session with the former dean of admissions.

I was thinking of applying end of July/ early August. The list was just general schools that I think I have a chance of acceptance in and don't mind the environment of. Doesn't really need to geographically be similar. Logically, I believe at these schools I may have a chance of acceptance, but wanted the communities opinion on what schools I should apply to. During my freshman year I attended an OHSU information session with the former dean of admissions.
why are you waiting to apply?
why do you think you have a chance at acceptance at these schools?
what do you mean by "don't mind the environment of"?

Believing is magical thinking. You are throwing away money for a wish.

What does the DSE say? Did you attend the ADEA virtual fair last month? Tell me how you networked with the schools on your list. You are an officer in your pedestal club so I would expect some specific strategies. You also must have a supportive predental advisor who encourages you.

Can't break it to you gently but you have a lot of public schools that wont take many OOS. If they did, your DAT score won't help you at all.

What are your year by year GPA (overall and science). With a 3.8 GPA, I think you are not experiencing a true downward trend. When did you fall below 3.0?

If you haven't applied yet, I'd take off LSU, DCG, and Florida because they really don't accept many people from OOS

Believing is magical thinking. You are throwing away money for a wish.

What does the DSE say? Did you attend the ADEA virtual fair last month? Tell me how you networked with the schools on your list. You are an officer in your pedestal club so I would expect some specific strategies. You also must have a supportive predental advisor who encourages you.

Can't break it to you gently but you have a lot of public schools that wont take many OOS. If they did, your DAT score won't help you at all.

What are your year by year GPA (overall and science). With a 3.8 GPA, I think you are not experiencing a true downward trend. When did you fall below 3.0?
Yeah I realize that my list has a lot of schools that have very low OOS acceptances, but I was kinda just throwing some suggestions out there for ideas on what on my list/ what other members of the community might recommend for someone like me with pretty average scores across the board. I haven't fallen below a 3.0 GPA during any terms as I had thought that having a downtrending GPA just meant that my GPA was slowly decreasing. Year by year I went from freshman - 3.96/3.95, sophomore - 3.88/3.88, junior 3.84/3.8. I am currently planning on attending virtual open house tours offered by the colleges to network and get a general feel for the environment at the schools.

If you haven't applied yet, I'd take off LSU, DCG, and Florida because they really don't accept many people from OOS
Thank you! I'm working on narrowing down the list by removing the schools with low OOS acceptances, especially with my stats. Do you have any other recommendations for schools I should add?

why are you waiting to apply?
why do you think you have a chance at acceptance at these schools?
what do you mean by "don't mind the environment of"?
By environment I meant by the community and how the school is set up in terms of classes. Most of the schools I have listed were schools that I just kinda threw out there to see what I may be competitive for. I'm mostly waiting because my app still needs some odds and ends to be filled out before submission.

By environment I meant by the community and how the school is set up in terms of classes. Most of the schools I have listed were schools that I just kinda threw out there to see what I may be competitive for. I'm mostly waiting because my app still needs some odds and ends to be filled out before submission.
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

you skipped my first question...