WAMC second cycle 2024-2025 - Canadian, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulmed97

Reaction score
Be nice.

ABOUT ME:
-26 yo female (27 when i apply)
-Lesbian
-Middle Eastern Arab
-Rural my entire life

STATS:
MCAT: 500 (2020) -> 507 (2022) -> ?? wrote on sept 2, 2023 so still waiting
uGPA (biochem): 3.06 upward trend
M.Sc GPA (organic chem): 4.0
***I'm Canadian***

-My MSc is in organic synthesis, specifically antibiotics. I've made compounds that have never been synthesized and published before. I've been testing them on several strains (in collaboration with the microbiology department).
-1 pub from this

WORK/ACTIVITIES:
-68 hours - mutual aid community assistance (cooking meals with my friends and then splitting up to deliver them around the city)
-140 hours: Research assistant, analytical chemistry and a collaboration project with the history department at my school (140 hours)
-30 hours: Undergrad chemistry club at my University (30 hours worth of "volunteering" like manning the bake sale stand, etc)
-Science rendezvous, which is a science outreach program (3 years in a row)
-30 hrs cut short due to covid as a science gallery volunteer at museum
-8 posters, 4 conferences attended
-900 hours Lab instructor and lectured a course (intro bio, intro chem, biochem)
-700 hours: Hockey
-100 hours: Volunteering at a health centre with residents that have dementia, Alzheimer's
-600 hours - doctors assistant at ophthalmologist clinic and just got promoted to head surgical coordinator.
-PROJECTED 2500-ish hours as a head surgical coordinator (brings me to June 2024 which is when I hope to apply)

Great references from 2 amazing eye surgeons I work with, my research supervisor (who is the dean of science), chemistry department head from my undergrad and msc, as well as 2 profs who have taught me and who i worked alongside with while teaching.
TOTAL: 6 possible references

Please suggest if an early application will help me as I applied so late last year. Please recommend schools to apply as well and what I can do this year to increase my chances. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Although we cannot give much advice until the next MCAT posts, I can say that it is an uphill battle with these stats for an international MD applicant.
Where do you plan to apply?
On the bright side, DO schools consider graduate grades when evaluating academic prowess!

Last edited:
Although we cannot give much advice until the next MCAT posts, I can say that it is an uphill battle with these stats for an international MD applicant.
Where do you plan to apply?
On the bright side, DO schools consider graduate grades when evaluating academic prowess!
Agh I know. Not sure where to apply. Definitely considering DO though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Describe your rural upbringing. Which province or locality? How long ago since you had your bachelor's degree and your master's? What feedback have you gotten from the medical school that serves your province?

Describe your rural upbringing. Which province or locality? How long ago since you had your bachelor's degree and your master's? What feedback have you gotten from the medical school that serves your province?
Raised in the Manitoba prairies farm land. No hospitals nothing nearby less than 1000 people in the “town” if you call it that. Bsc in 2020 msc just this past year. My province never gives me feedback that’s valuable they just give you your ranking. My mcat was average this year, gpa low, and Casper was average. Didn’t get an interview

Yes but hard to say about the stats because I am international :/
You can filter to find the 57 US MD schools that consider Canadians.
Then, filter for the lowest possible MCAT. Eliminate all of them that that only matriculated 1 or 2 (probably internal candidates).
With whatever is left, you can look for those with a rural focus (or some other aspect of your application).

Reactions: 1 user
You can filter to find the 57 US MD schools that consider Canadians.
Then, filter for the lowest possible MCAT. Eliminate all of them that that only matriculated 1 or 2 (probably internal candidates).
With whatever is left, you can look for those with a rural focus (or some other aspect of your application).
Thanks so much for your feedback

Reactions: 1 user