WAMC, should I add schools last minute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runningwithpastels

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 3.975
DAT score: AA 23

Shadowing Experience:
100:
Volunteering Experience: 200
Employment: 300 - non dental
Research:
Other Extracurriculars: dental club pres, student activities leader, sports team leader, tutor for science, etc.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Two summer programs
Relevant Honors or Awards:0
LOR type and strength: 4- strong
Misc Info/Things: gap year
School list: 6, with 4 interviews

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
4 interviews is amazing, especially the schools you go interviews at (UCSF, Harvard). You’ll get in somewhere, and no point applying to more now.

4 interviews is amazing, especially the schools you go interviews at (UCSF, Harvard). You’ll get in somewhere, and no point applying to more now.
Okay. Thank you for the encouragement. It just makes me nervous. I am not sure I am the best at interviews. I guess I can apply again next year if this round doesn't result well. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA: 3.99
Science GPA: 3.975
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.975
DAT score: AA 23,TS 22, OC 23,GC 22, B 21 RC 24 QR 26 PAT 21
State of Residence:IA

Undergrad Attended:
small liberal arts, nothing known well
Major: Art
Minor: Bio, Chem
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
100: mostly general dentist, 10 oral, 16 peds
Volunteering Experience: 200 -free dental clinic, teaching art to people with disabilities, oral hygiene for people with dementia
Employment: 300 - non dental related, customer service etc
Research:
Other Extracurriculars: dental club pres, student activities leader, sports team leader, tutor for science, etc.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Two summer programs
Relevant Honors or Awards:0
LOR type and strength: 2 science teachers strong, 1 art advisor strong, 1 dentist strong
Misc Info/Things: gap year working abroad not related to dental
School list: UCSF, Harvard, UIowa. CWRU (got interviews) and UNebraska and Pitt (didn't get interviews)

I couldn't afford to apply to many so only 6. I am excited with 4 interviews BUT given competition, wondering now if should apply to some more. :( Some interviews harder than expected. But didn't get one at UNebraska which I thought might be my best shot. :( Advice?
what schools were the summer programs at?

how come you didn't apply to Minn?
have you maintained contact with Iowa?
I thought I was going to apply to MN but realized they were very expensive for out of state and then also ran into some students right before apps went in and they were snooty putting down my school and that turned me off. It was impulse. Maybe should have applied anyway. :(. I didn't stay in touch with Iowa over the year since the program but mostly bc didn't know what to get in touch with them "about". I really liked them but didn't have any questions, etc.:/ But I hoped that since it was relatively short time it might be okay?

Last edited:
It would be a complete waste to send apps in at this point in time unless you feel it's absolutely necessary. Which I don't think it is. You've gotten 4 interviews from some of the best schools in the country, so chances are good you'll hear back from 1 of them on the 15th.

As for the Iowa thing, it's very Minnesotan to hate on Iowa. Unfortunate that it was beating down the school and left a sour taste, but like Michigan and Ohio state, we don't like hawkeyes. Lol. But Iowa dental is a very solid school, I've talked to a few graduates that spoke very highly of the program.

Everything will work out in the end. Deep breath. Trust the process. Try to distract yourself after the last interview and just enjoy the free time and hangout with friends and family. The time will shoot by!

It would be a complete waste to send apps in at this point in time unless you feel it's absolutely necessary. Which I don't think it is. You've gotten 4 interviews from some of the best schools in the country, so chances are good you'll hear back from 1 of them on the 15th.

As for the Iowa thing, it's very Minnesotan to hate on Iowa. Unfortunate that it was beating down the school and left a sour taste, but like Michigan and Ohio state, we don't like hawkeyes. Lol. But Iowa dental is a very solid school, I've talked to a few graduates that spoke very highly of the program.

Everything will work out in the end. Deep breath. Trust the process. Try to distract yourself after the last interview and just enjoy the free time and hangout with friends and family. The time will shoot by!
Okay. Thank you. I thought it might be too late but started to worry...
I guess if there's nothing else I can do right now--- then that's all I can do. I will distract self.
You probably have a good point about the whole state rivalry thing... it didn't feel quite like that at the moment but yeah that would make sense.:)

Last edited:
Dude... 4 interviews? Nebraska could wait until after Decision Day given your stats and seeing you snagged 4 IIs.

Attachments

• 20230922_085321_0000.png
    20230922_085321_0000.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 1 users
Dude... 4 interviews? Nebraska could wait until after Decision Day given your stats and seeing you snagged 4 IIs.
I guess I have been reading all these things where people applied to 20 schools and it made me stress a little... Putting eggs in only a couple baskets, so to speak. Each school only picks fraction of people.... But I guess I am gathering from the experienced folks to not second guess it and just wait patiently to see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Okay. Thank you. I thought it might be too late but started to worry about so few interviews.
I guess if there's nothing else I can do right now--- then that's all I can do. I will distract self.
You probably have a good point about the whole state rivalry thing... it didn't feel quite like that at the moment but yeah that would make sense.:)
4 is not "so few interviews"
be glad that you had 4
especially when you only applied to six...

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.