WAMC/Should I take another year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklover14

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am debating whether to apply for this upcoming cycle (2024) or wait for another year. I think my stats are pretty solid, but I would like to be in the running for a top-10 school, and I'm not sure I am there yet. I am already taking a gap year, and I am debating taking another year off. I would love some advice about what I could fill that extra year with that would improve my application and possibly cause a top 10 med school to take a look at me.

1. cDNA: 3.80, sGPA: 3.73
  2. 519: all sections 130 except Chem/Phys 129
  3. VA
  4. ORM, White
  5. Top 10 Private School
  6. Volunteer:
    • Volunteered in EMS for 6 years in HS and on breaks in college (1000 hours)
    • Worked as a COVID Vaccination nurse until the clinics closed down in the Summer of 2021 (100 hours)
    • Worked in a Clinical Research lab in Undergrad where I had regular interaction with patients (1000 hours)
    • Paid: Currently working in a different Clinical Research position within the same lab, again regular assessments and interactions with patients (1920 hours)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    • 2.5 years of undergrad lab work (1000 hours)
    • Completed an undergraduate thesis for graduation with distinction
      • 2 First-author manuscripts in progress related to thesis in medium-impact journals
    • 1 poster presentation, 1 podium presentation at medium-sized conference
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • This is a big gap that I need to work on!
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    • Just started working as a Special Olympics swim coach for a local team
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Took a gap semester and worked a full-time job at the VA Health Department in 2020, organizing the COVID response in Northern VA (8 months, 1280 hours)
    • Worked as a Biomedical Engineer 1 in a local hospital in the Summer of 2021, full-time job (480 hours)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    • Graduation with Distinction for Senior Thesis
  12. Any other relevant info
    • A lot of my research work is with geriatric patients, a population that I enjoy working with, and I feel as though they are often overlooked in medicine. I am not sure if I should volunteer in this area to highlight my interest in geriatrics or if I should branch out to something else. I did do a school photography project in conjunction with a local retirement home that I really enjoyed that involved interviewing residents, I'm not sure if this would be relevant info to include.
I am looking for general advice, but also a place that can really make me stand out! .

Members don't see this ad.

I think you know you aren't ready until you get the 50 hours of shadowing in before you apply. Also, your non-clinical volunteering needs to be at 150 hours before applying to avoid getting screened out, and stronger applicants will have at least 250 hours. If you want to corner geriatrics/elderly as a population of interest, find a hospice position. Show us your cultural appreciation and humility in your activities.

Reactions: 1 user