WAMC, Texas Resident 3.67/514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piguy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting so sorry in advance if I do anything incorrectly.

For some background, I currently attend UW-Madison and I plan on applying this upcoming cycle. I was hoping for some advice in terms of school list and any holes in my app.
Texas Resident
Major: Neurobiology/Psychology
Minor(Called a certificate at Madison): Japanese Professional Communications

1. Mcat: 514 (129,130,126,129)

2. cGPA: 3.67, sGPA: 3.64 - I had some questions about this since TMDSAS does grading differently. UW Madison does an A/AB/B/BC scale with an AB being 3.5, BC being a 2.5, etc. I have a decent amount of AB grades and was wondering how TMDSAS would grade those since if that would be an A on their scale it would definitely help my gpa.

3. Clinical experience
Volunteer: EMT in a rural area (200 hours, 4 months to date), ER (20 hours, very quickly felt like I wasn't really doing anything)
Non-Volunteer: Patient Sitter (900 hours, 16 months to date)
4. Research: 800 hours (neuroscience, 2 posters, 2.5 years)
I am currently being trained to work with primates and will being that for my research work moving forward

5. Shadowing: 60 hours - neurosurgery clinic, plastic surgery OR (plan to also shadow a family medicine physician prior to applying)

6. Non-clinical volunteering: 40 hours (food pantry, community center) - this is an area I am concerned about, but I am currently volunteering at the community center and hope to be there more, still don't know if that number will be much higher prior to applying since I will be studying abroad this summer.

7. Extracurriculars:
AED premed club - 2 years, 120 hours, national member
Chinese American Student Association - 3 years, 300 hours, board member for 2 years, event coordinator and we organize one of the biggest annual student cultural events (400+ people)

Working School List

TX:
BCM
Southwestern
McGovern
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
UT San Antonio
UT Austin Dell
UTMB

OOS:
UW Madison
California University of Science and Medicine
Albany University
Albert Einstein
New York Medical College
Colorado

Would it be worth applying to programs like:
NYU
Kaiser
UC Irvine
UC San Diego
UC San Francisco

Thank you for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to ALL your TMDSAS MD and DO schools. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants with your stats since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. With your connection to Wisconsin you could try U Wisconsin and Medical College Wisconsin and also Tulane and TCU.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to ALL your TMDSAS MD and DO schools. OOS MD schools interview few Texas applicants with your stats since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. With your connection to Wisconsin you could try U Wisconsin and Medical College Wisconsin and also Tulane and TCU.
Sounds good! Do you think I should remove the other oos schools then?