WAMC/Thoughts on school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paradoxical Cabbage

Reaction score
Posting for another:

State/Country of Residence: WWAMI state

White male, 22, 3.81 cGPA and 3.70 sGPA. Dual major in molecular biology and physiology w/ minors in chemistry, honors, and psychology.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I struggled hard with classes at first (didn't apply myself :/) and have 5 Ws over three semesters, so GPA looks better than irl transcript. I did get a 4.0 for the last 73 credits however. Most of my Ws are in important prereq classes. I also have gotten three Cs and three Bs.

MCAT Score(s): 522 (129/132/130/131)

Research Experience:
  • 800 hours in neuroscience research lab, one poster presentation and one completed project over three years.
  • 400 hours in molecular bio lab. Still ongoing but hoping for a result.
Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer):
  • 500 hours as a paid phlebotomist.
  • 200 hours volunteering in our town's free clinic.
Physician Shadowing:
  • 50 hours family medicine
  • 30 hours EM
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • Weekly volunteering at our food share pantry and animal shelter (3 hrs/wk), so about 640 hours.
Other Extracurricular Activities:
  • Student body president, sat on our Board of Trustees, oversaw a staff of 11 people and a $1.2 million budget, did a lot of cool things like raise $175k to start a scholarship for international and DACA recipients since they didn't get a lot of the COVID relief funds, and many other projects (established free condom dispensers, helped set up a food share pantry, established a $400k endowment to support student mental health) and other things like that. 30 hr/wk job.
Medical School List:
  • Put them in four tiers:
    • Impossible: Harvard, Columbia, Johns Hopkins, Mayo
    • Reach: Boston U, Case Western, Duke, Mt. Sinai, Brown, Rochester, Cornall, UMich.
    • High Target: Creighton, Emory, Dartmouth, NYU Long Island, UColorado, UMiami, U of Utah, VA Commonwealth, UA Phoenix, Western Michigan, Tufts, USF Morsani.
    • Target: Carle Illinois, Eastern VA, Quinnipiac, Hackensac Meridian, MC of WI, Oregon Health and Science, U Vermont, TX Christian, U North Dakota, U Washington, Wake Forest, VA Tech.
I know that this is a lot of schools, I will be prioritizing 20 and completing all of their secondaries, the moving on to more if it's feasible.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

UW is your best bet of course, so if be more interested in why the other schools are on your list. Not a lot of them are west of the Mississippi. Carle is mostly engineering focused so strike that one. Are you part of an underrepresented demographic?

Remove Carle Illinois. Also schools such Hackensack, Quinnipiac, Medical College Wisconsin, Wake Forest will "yield protect" with your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW is your best bet of course, so if be more interested in why the other schools are on your list. Not a lot of them are west of the Mississippi. Carle is mostly engineering focused so strike that one. Are you part of an underrepresented demographic?
They're there for a variety of reasons, nothing in particular caused overwhelming interest. I either liked the location or the mission of the school appealed to me. Do I have to apply to schools near me? Most of them are on my list, there just aren't a ton.

I'm a member of the LGBT community but other than that am a white male.

Remove Carle Illinois. Also schools such Hackensack, Quinnipiac, Medical College Wisconsin, Wake Forest will "yield protect" with your MCAT.
Will strike Carle. Thank you for the advice. Any other schools you would add that aren't on the list?

I agree with Faha. I think OHSU takes a majority in-state. They are not like UW’s WWAMI program:

Few years back, but only 4 WICHE students in the class of 160. Though they do consider exceptional candidates and you seem to have higher stats for that. Utah does not reserve spots for Alaska in case you are from there. It is majority Utah residents, then Idaho and then Wyoming/Montana. For North Dakota, the only out of state students they’ve accepted are from Minnesota, Montana or Wyoming. So if you’re from Idaho or Alaska, cut this one out. You might already know this and are from WY/MT.

TCU and EVMS will probably yield protect too. Consider Ohio State, Cincinnati, Jefferson, UVA over VTech, Kaiser, UCSD, USC (Southern California), WUSTL, Vandy. Hofstra over NYU Long Island (they have a very small class size)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They're there for a variety of reasons, nothing in particular caused overwhelming interest. I either liked the location or the mission of the school appealed to me. Do I have to apply to schools near me? Most of them are on my list, there just aren't a ton.

I'm a member of the LGBT community but other than that am a white male.
Geography is something I would not overlook, especially if you want to think about rotation sites and environments. I would also check for any student leaders involved with AMSA or MSPA about the schools on your list to see if the schools live up to their mission with their curriculum and experiences.

Reactions: 1 user