MD WAMC; TX applicant next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m also Curious about where to improve rn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all your Texas MD schools and you should receive several interviews. More clinical hours are always helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all your Texas MD schools and you should receive several interviews. More clinical hours are always helpful.

Is there any reason to apply DO? I’m not intending to reapply so if I don’t get in this cycle that’s the end of all this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering- crisis center, 150 hrs as a suicide hotline phone operator, 300 hrs on call actually going in person to de escalate people in crisis. I’m also training new volunteers now (ongoing)

Volunteering- teach English to people online (maybe 200 hrs, didn’t count) (ongoing)
Do you have any other non-clinical community service that is face-to-face and does not involve health/care? It's great you have made an impact with your crisis work, but I don't see any other opportunities where you are serving others in a role that is not a subject-matter expert/leadership role.

It feels that the only schools in TMDSAS you care about and fit for are the high-research/academic ones (Southwestern, Baylor). You haven't really shown anything that says you fit with the community-centered schools. In that way, you are already self-selecting (which is fine) against places like RGV or Tyler. You should still apply to all of them (no additional costs or harm), but each will have a specific emphasis on the needs of their own communities that you will see most frequently. This is what I don't see in your activities.

Get your networking in now, and attend as many recruitment events on-campus or through the TMDSAS webinars. Know what to expect with the prematching and matching process. Start your work with mission fit and secondary essays, and make sure you prepare for Casper.

Do you have any other non-clinical community service that is face-to-face and does not involve health/care? It's great you have made an impact with your crisis work, but I don't see any other opportunities where you are serving others in a role that is not a subject-matter expert/leadership role.

It feels that the only schools in TMDSAS you care about and fit for are the high-research/academic ones (Southwestern, Baylor). You haven't really shown anything that says you fit with the community-centered schools. In that way, you are already self-selecting (which is fine) against places like RGV or Tyler. You should still apply to all of them (no additional costs or harm), but each will have a specific emphasis on the needs of their own communities that you will see most frequently. This is what I don't see in your activities.

Get your networking in now, and attend as many recruitment events on-campus or through the TMDSAS webinars. Know what to expect with the prematching and matching process. Start your work with mission fit and secondary essays, and make sure you prepare for Casper.

Hi,

I’m interested to your comment about my community service. I personally thought my crisis center volunteering was a massive part of my application, and really showed my interest in the community. I actually would prefer to go to a service oriented school like PLFSOM, and I figured crisis center being non clinical would help me out a lot.

While this is clinical, I’ve also volunteered with homeless people to check their blood pressures and provide clinic info at screenings.

Would you still think I have a lack of community service given this info?

Hi,

I’m interested to your comment about my community service. I personally thought my crisis center volunteering was a massive part of my application, and really showed my interest in the community. I actually would prefer to go to a service oriented school like PLFSOM, and I figured crisis center being non clinical would help me out a lot.

While this is clinical, I’ve also volunteered with homeless people to check their blood pressures and provide clinic info at screenings.

Would you still think I have a lack of community service given this info?
I don't think you lack community service in terms of hours, but it's possible you might lack community service in terms of variety/depth and mission fit. Think of it like shadowing only in the ER when health care involves so much more. It's not a perfect analogy, but community need is much more than helping individuals through mental health crises or suicidal ideation, even though it is very important.

Are you Spanish-fluent? Is your work with the crisis center directly affecting Spanish-speaking/Mexican-heritage populations? What other instances do you get to understand the Mexican-American and Latin American migrant communities in the community service experiences you have to date?

You likely have some capstones that are part of your public health master's degree that could help you academically on this front. This is not clear from your description, but for PLFSOM, keep in mind their focus on their local community and demonstrate your match with your activities.

OP

Are you sure you qualify as a TX resident despite not residing in TX since high school?

But OP is currently pursuing a masters in public health. Not clear whether that’s in TX.
As long as they are OOS primarily for education with the intent to return, they are still Texans.
In addition if their parents live in Texas, they are still Texan.
The only way to lose status is to get a job OOS for more than 12 months, while not also being a student.
Class dismissed!

OP

Are you sure you qualify as a TX resident despite not residing in TX since high school?

I’m doing a masters in TX, so I’m sure I’ll still be a TX resident since it’s a 2 year program

I don't think you lack community service in terms of hours, but it's possible you might lack community service in terms of variety/depth and mission fit. Think of it like shadowing only in the ER when health care involves so much more. It's not a perfect analogy, but community need is much more than helping individuals through mental health crises or suicidal ideation, even though it is very important.

Are you Spanish-fluent? Is your work with the crisis center directly affecting Spanish-speaking/Mexican-heritage populations? What other instances do you get to understand the Mexican-American and Latin American migrant communities in the community service experiences you have to date?

You likely have some capstones that are part of your public health master's degree that could help you academically on this front. This is not clear from your description, but for PLFSOM, keep in mind their focus on their local community and demonstrate your match with your activities.

I’m not Spanish in fluent (getting close to there) but I’ve had to utilize Spanish several times working as a medical student, as well as occasionally on the crisis lines, and very often in the clinical volunteering I did with the homeless

I think your application looks strong, @Avatararrow
Toss in TCOM as your Texas DO school.

Thanks for your comment

Do you reckon I have a good chance of getting into an MD med school? applying to med school overall is a very big gamble for me since I honestly can’t afford applying, which is also why I won’t be reapplying if I don’t get in this cycle

Thanks for your comment

Do you reckon I have a good chance of getting into an MD med school? applying to med school overall is a very big gamble for me since I honestly can’t afford applying, which is also why I won’t be reapplying if I don’t get in this cycle
Yes I think your chances are very good.
Take time with your writing to represent your experiences and plans sincerely and have everything ready to submit in May or June.

Status
Not open for further replies.