WAMC? URM AA Male 3.76GPA/504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drnateandy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Wanted to gauge where I stand as I just received my MCAT score today and plan to apply this upcoming cycle. All feedback is appreciated:
  • State/Country of Residence: CA
  • Ties to other States/Regions: Born in MA and lived there until I was 13
  • URM?: Yes, Black Male
  • Year in School: 1st gap year (Class of 2020)
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Biology
  • Graduate Degrees (if applicable): B.S in Bio
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.76 with relatively strong upward trend (3.5>3.7>3.8>3.9)
  • Science GPA: 3.69
  • MCAT Score(s): 504 :( (126/125/127/126)... pondering a retake but currently on waitlist for 05/28 test
  • Letters of Rec: 4 (at the moment) but looking to add 2 others from MD's. Applying for a committee letter from my undergrad
  • Research Experience: 200+ hours primate behavioral research in small Amazonian village in eastern Brazil (lived there for 2 months) with my professor and host family, 160 hrs dermatopathology research that was virtual with an MD
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. First author, second author, etc.): Abstract publication in ASP journal and 2 posters for that squirrel monkey research, 1 poster presentation for derm research
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): ~120 hrs hospital volunteering during undergrad, ~900 hrs as an optometric tech (doing prelim eye exams for patients, insurance/billing, teaching how to wear contacts) during undergrad, starting new job as an ophthalmic tech next week but no hours yet
  • Physician Shadowing: 10 hrs with orthopedic surgeon and anesthesiologist, 30+hrs with ophthalmologist (I love eyes!), some virtual shadowing here and there (15 hrs?)
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: Mental health mentor/blog & grant writer for a little over 4 months (80 hrs?). The group is registered as an official charity group and geared toward mentoring teenagers struggling during these times
  • Other Extracurricular Activities: Run a small advocacy ig page/group. We're planning on running a small mission trip to my home country to help school age kids get access to glasses and basic eye exams (post covid hopefully), Model UN for 2 years in college (attended Harvard MUN & a few other conferences), JV soccer team in college (3 years), Black Student Union, stock mentoring (learned the in's and out's of options trading during pandemic so we teach others in a discord of about 310 members), spearfishing in my free time for about 2 years (highly recommend if you live near water)
  • Other Employment History: 400 hrs+ (full time) at a biotech company during my gap year as a manufacturing associate (QC), employed all throughout undergrad in food service then in events planning/set-up for campus events (did the optometric tech job at the same time)
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
  • Specialty of Interest (if applicable): OPHTHALMOLOGY ftw lol but very much still open to other specialties
  • Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): Y
  • Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): N
  • Medical School List (please help if you have any input):
    • UC's (really community health oriented so aiming for PRIME programs at the UC schools)
      • Are there any I should not even apply to with my MCAT score?
    • HBCU's (Howard, Morehouse, Meharry, Charles R. Drew)
    • Loma Linda
    • USC Keck
    • DO's (Western and Touro CA)
    • U of Miami
    • California University of Science and Medicine
    • Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF, UCLA and UCSD are reaches with your MCAT. You could add these MD schools:
Kaiser
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 users
UCSF, UCLA and UCSD are reaches with your MCAT. You could add these MD schools:
Kaiser
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Awesome thank you! Are there any other schools I should omit from my list? Also, would California Northstate and Rush be ok additions to my list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thank you! Are there any other schools I should omit from my list? Also, would California Northstate and Rush be ok additions to my list?
Rush would be fine. California Northstate has not been recommended on SDN for reasons related to student loans but you could apply there if that is not an issue for you.

Reactions: 1 user