This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEURON13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

It's my first time ever posting on a forum in general (never had social media neither) so bare with me if my post doesn't follow the norms of this wonderful site.

At the suggestion of a dear friend I would like all your honest and humble opinions on what my chances are to get into medical school (allopathic). In addition, if possible would you guys kindly advise what other steps I should take to make me a better candidate.

URM / Nontraditional 26 years old
Associate in arts graduating GPA: 3.1

Psych Major
Current Undergraduate cGPA: 3.0
Current Undergraduate sGPA: 3.0

I still have two more semesters to go and they will include:
Orgo I
Orgo I Lab
Orgo II
Orgo II Lab
(Using a GPA Calc if I get A's in the above my science GPA will finish at about 3.36)

Have not take MCAT yet.

In terms of EC/ Volunteer/Clinical Experience
Im volunteering at in a hospitals child/adolescent psychiatric unit tutoring patients in math and science.
Have accumulated about 100+ hours thus far.

Last but certainly not least during my last semester I had family moment (huge downer) and I ended up taking NC on orgo I and physics I. Im still not so sure how NC's are calculated into med school GPA's but I don't want to be in denial.

So folks thats where I am right now and I look forward to getting your feedback.

I appreciate all of you.
Thanks in advance.
BCV

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Goro,

I'm just curious, based on your replies to plenty of others on this site clearly you know your stuff.
Why would you not be able to help me? Was it my response?

If you were looking for something deeper than here it is:

Born and raised in Elmhurst queens had a rough upbringing in a tough neighborhood plagued by drugs and violence.
Many of the "friends" I grew up with didn't continued in that negative direction (ended up in jail, didn't pursue a serious education, and/or ended up with children back in our teen years). Somewhere within the crack in the concrete I decided to get my back into school and make something of myself. I am a first generation college student and want to inspire the younger members in my family to dream and achieve big time. I want to be a doctor and I cannot see myself doing anything else as I age into the abyss. This is the community I represent and I want to serve. So Mr Goro, give me your best shot bud I am ready and willing.

Thank you

Hey Goro,

I'm just curious, based on your replies to plenty of others on this site clearly you know your stuff.

Born and raised in Elmhurst queens had a rough upbringing in a tough neighborhood plagued by drugs and violence.
Many of the "friends" I grew up with didn't continued in that negative direction (ended up in jail, didn't pursue a serious education, and/or ended up with children back in our teen years). Somewhere within the crack in the concrete I decided to get my back into school and make something of myself. I am a first generation college student and want to inspire the younger members in my family to dream and achieve big time. I want to be a doctor and I cannot see myself doing anything else as I age into the abyss. This is the community I represent and I want to serve. So Mr Goro, give me your best shot bud I am ready and willing.
unusual sen
Thank you
:D By "what community", he means what type of URM are you? Black? Mexican? Puerto Rican? @Goro has a pretty unusual sense of humor....well, not really unusual for a New Yorker...but unusual nonethelesss. :p

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Goro,

Thank you
:bang:

Reactions: 1 user
Most people understand what I ask that question, it's NOT about where you live, but what ethnic group you represent. From now on, I'll just ask directly.

And BTW, not all Latins are URM.

As of right now, your GPA are extremely weak, and even if URM, I don't think that you have demonstrated that you could make it through med school ( unless you have a great rising GPA trend).

No med school school is doing you any favors by accepting you if you're at high risk for failing out.

I recommend an SMP or DIY post-bac, and aceing them (3.7+).

Hey Goro,

Thank you

Reactions: 2 users
Most people understand what I ask that question, it's NOT about where you live, but what ethnic group you represent. From now on, I'll just ask directly.

And BTW, not all Latins are URM.

As of right now, your GPA are extremely weak, and even if URM, I don't think that you have demonstrated that you could make it through med school ( unless you have a great rising GPA trend).

No med school school is doing you any favors by accepting you if you're at high risk for failing out.

I recommend an SMP or DIY post-bac, and aceing them (3.7+).
Hey Goro,

First and foremost thank you for your advise and I apologize for the earlier "community rant"; I represent the Colombian community.
Could you please elaborate on the DIY post-bac, is there an ideal amount of courses to take? What courses would you recommend?

Thank you!

At least one year's work of courses (> 30 credits). Courses should mimic med school:
Anatomy
Physiology
Micro
Neuroscience
Immunology
Histology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Biostats or Epidemiology
Cell Bio
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Biochem

Hey Goro,

First and foremost thank you for your advise and I apologize for the earlier "community rant"; I represent the Colombian community.
Could you please elaborate on the DIY post-bac, is there an ideal amount of courses to take? What courses would you recommend?

Thank you!

At least one year's work of courses (> 30 credits). Courses should mimic med school:
Anatomy
Physiology
Micro
Neuroscience
Immunology
Histology
Pathology
Pharmacology
Biostats or Epidemiology
Cell Bio
Molecular Bio or Genetics
Biochem

Thanks Goro,

One more thing regarding the DIY post bacc:
At my current institution the majority of the above mentioned courses fall under bio majors. As a result, bio and neuroscience majors will get priority registration over a non-degree student (after graduation). I am still in a position where i can get a high placement in these courses but that would require me not graduating yet. So what are your thoughts on my finishing my pre-med course load (orgo 1&2, Physics 2), do an extra year implementing the advice you gave me above, then graduating?

Very grateful for your replies Goro*