DO WAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foodjunkie1028

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

So recently I made the decision to not finish applying this cycle after receiving my MCAT. However, some people have told me they got into DO schools with less than 500 on the MCAT. I was considering just applying to SMP programs (ones that offer MCAT prep also) but am still more than willing to apply DO if I still stand a chance.

State of Residence: AZ

Year in school: In gap year right now. cGPA: 3.41 sGPA: 3.31

Major: Biochemistry Minor: Biology
MCAT: 497 (126/124/125/122)

Research: I was actively involved in a research lab examining water analytes in underserved communities for two years and have three first author posters which I presented at conferences. (~3000 hours)

Clinical volunteering: ~250 to 300 hours (I don't keep track) in a local free clinic helping the Hispanic community for about 6 months. This experience is still ongoing.

Physician shadowing: ~45 hours

~4 anesthesiologist ~4 family Medicine ~41 gastroenterologist

Non clinical volunteering: ~400 hours of helping those with disabilities. This includes fundraising, hanging out with them, and improving the camp they stayed at overall. I did this for four years.

Extracurricular activities:

Chemistry Teaching Assistant for Gen Chem lab for 3 years, gen chem II lecture and organic chem I lecture for a year and a half.

Member of fraternity for four years. Scholarship chair for a year and a half and president for a year.

Hobbies:

Weight lifting / exercising, self taught guitar, and self taught audio production

Employment: I monitor radiation for campus and hospital usage.

Deans list for 5/8 semesters.
Scholarship given for community service involvement in campus.
Given research and travel funding each year from program I was accepted to.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would have a better chance for DO schools with a MCAT of 500 of higher. A SMP with MCAT prep sounds good and you may even have a chance at some MD schools if you do well in the SMP.