want to start a post-bacc in jan 2006, but where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madawi26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am kind of confused about this post-bacc in the sciences. I would like to start a post-bacc but at a different university in a completely different state. Is that even possible? Where do I begin? Do I have to apply to that school or go see my advisor at the university I graduated from just recently? I am so confused:( Please help?!!! Thanks.

P.S.-I am trying to get into the University of Pittsburgh for the spring of 2006 and do my post bacc there, but I am not a resident of Penn. I am a resident of Florida. Is anyone else in the same position? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know of any formal post-bacs that start mid-year, but i could be wrong. most start in summer and go straight through so you can take the mcat at the end. however, you can still apply to SFSU for spring '06, but it is an informal program. i suspect most informal programs are still options for you, since you'll be going at your own pace.

madawi26 said:
Hi. I am kind of confused about this post-bacc in the sciences. I would like to start a post-bacc but at a different university in a completely different state. Is that even possible? Where do I begin? Do I have to apply to that school or go see my advisor at the university I graduated from just recently? I am so confused:( Please help?!!! Thanks.

P.S.-I am trying to get into the University of Pittsburgh for the spring of 2006 and do my post bacc there, but I am not a resident of Penn. I am a resident of Florida. Is anyone else in the same position? Thanks again!

I don't believe that Pitt has a formal post-bac program, but you could apply either as a non-degree student or as a student seeking a 2nd bachelor's degree. Both of these programs are administered through the College of General Studies. I'm not sure when their application deadlines are, but I know that they tend to be fairly flexible. Also for undergraduate and graduate admissions, there is no emphasis placed on your residency status (there might be for med school, but if it is it is very weak) The only drawback to Pitt is that the pre-med advising kinda sucks, however there are a lot of good opportunities to get clinical experience in the city.

madawi26 said:

madawi26, there is a post bac program at Duquesne University, which is in Pittsburgh and really close to Pitt. They do accept students for spring semester so you might want to take a look at the program. Here's a link: http://www.premed.duq.edu/

G'luck!