Wanting to go from law to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allg294

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed a lot on this forum, but I want to know what my prospects are if I change my career path. I'm a junior in undergrad doing economics. With the way my semester is going, I'll be at a 3.6 gpa my senior year (I got a lot of B+'s/B's my sophomore year in upper level math and physics, but I've been a near straight-A student otherwise). I thought I wanted to go to law school and work in family law, but after understanding what kind of work lawyers do and practicing for the LSAT, I don't want to study or work in the legal field. I'm thinking of doing medicine instead– I've always been strong in biology/chem, and I like what my parents do.

My dad's a hospitalist, and he has a lot of friends in different fields (internal medicine/hospitalists, GI, surgeons, oncologists, etc.). I'm going to shadow one or two of them this summer, and I'll volunteer at a hospital if I get the chance. I have decent extracurriculars too (I had a few leadership roles and an internship in government, and I speak a foreign language).

If I decide that I like medicine after shadowing/volunteering, and if I take premed course requirements (a year of bio, chemistry and ochem, and math/physics (which I've done already)) and take the mcat, what are my chances for med school? I know I don't have a science background, but if I get volunteering/shadowing/prereqs/a good mcat score, could I still have a chance?

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have just as good a chance as any other applicant (adjusting for state residency, URM status, etc). Shadow/Volunteer, do well on your prereqs and MCAT and your'e fine. If you can take some prereqs your senior year of college you can probably get away with applying after only 1 or 2 gap years.