Warm muck boots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of good muck boots that keep your feet warm? I spent a couple hours on the farm today and my toes went completely numb. I've not worried about it too much in the past, but one of my professors just told me that another student got frostbite. So now I'm a little paranoid. I'm usually working with cows so they need to have a hard toe and be waterproof.
I tried looking for other threads on this topic, but couldn't find any, so if there is one please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

So I really like the Joule's muck boots. They're not super heavy duty compared to others, but I don't use them that often so they work well for me. They have these "welly warmers" which are basically giant fleece socks that you can put in the inside. They can be expensive, but you can find really good deals on them usually around February before spring colors come out.

Anybody know of good muck boots that keep your feet warm? I spent a couple hours on the farm today and my toes went completely numb. I've not worried about it too much in the past, but one of my professors just told me that another student got frostbite. So now I'm a little paranoid. I'm usually working with cows so they need to have a hard toe and be waterproof.
I tried looking for other threads on this topic, but couldn't find any, so if there is one please let me know!

For farm services, I just tripled up on warm wool socks. You can also buy fuzzy fleece boot liners for most standard boots.

I have a nice pair of Ariat insulated muck boots - not steel toe but then again I wore rubber boots for farm services and these muck boots have a firmer toe, though not steel.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were told that steel toe boots were not recommended bc it can cause more damage if you are stepped on.. Not sure how true that is but that's what we were told by clinicians before our clinical skills class. I have the tall black muck brand boots and like them a lot. I just wear wool socks with them and my feet stayed pretty warm!

Thermacell heated insoles. They are amazing.

My usual bovine attire is insoles in insulated bass hiking boots with tingley pullovers. equine work is generally LLbean wildcat winter boots with the insoles. In both I'm warm with just a pair of midweight ski socks.

Biggest thing for me besides the boot itself is making sure they aren't too tight with the socks. My feet like to have some breathing room!

I've also got a pair of bogs that are super cozy but the traction in them is less than ideal.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pair of BOGS that I scored for cheap ($27) on eBay (had only been used once, looked brand new when I opened them). They are hands down my best boot purchase ever. I volunteer at a horse rescue in the Chicago suburbs and even when I'm cold, my feet are toasty, almost to the point of sweating. I'm most thankful for them when I have to dump the outside water troughs and wade through ankle-deep ice water to scrub the troughs out. Nothing. No cold. I'm pretty sure I could die of exposure and my feet would still feel great.

I got lucky with the price I got them for but to me they'd be worth every penny at full market price and then some.

Edit to add: The traction on them is not fantastic, however. Perfectly fine in snow but not the best on ice (a feisty horse tried to take me skiing).

I have a pair of battery powered socks that I wear. They are amazing!!!

The Muck Boot Company.

Arctic Series.

Pricey, yes. But my money was well spent. :)

Edit: I live with snow and cold and ice. If you don't, probably overkill.

We were told that steel toe boots were not recommended bc it can cause more damage if you are stepped on.. Not sure how true that is but that's what we were told by clinicians before our clinical skills class. I have the tall black muck brand boots and like them a lot. I just wear wool socks with them and my feet stayed pretty warm!

Busted by Mythbusters IIRC.

The Muck Boot Company.

Arctic Series.

Pricey, yes. But my money was well spent. :)

Edit: I live with snow and cold and ice. If you don't, probably overkill.

My dad swears by these. We don't live with snow and cold and ice all the time, but he is out in biting winter wind all day.

LL Bean Muck Wetland boots. Excellent traction and not a crazy amount of money. I wear them with two pairs of socks - bottom layer for wicking moisture plus a wool top layer for insulation. You could also put a felt liner or LL Bean's Welly Warmers inside for added warmth.

Make sure the size of your boot allows for thick or double socks. If they're too tight your feet are going to get cold no matter what you have on.

Thanks everyone!
Now I need to decide where to spend the small fortune :eek:
LL Bean Muck Wetland boots. Excellent traction and not a crazy amount of money. I wear them with two pairs of socks - bottom layer for wicking moisture plus a wool top layer for insulation. You could also put a felt liner or LL Bean's Welly Warmers inside for added warmth.

Make sure the size of your boot allows for thick or double socks. If they're too tight your feet are going to get cold no matter what you have on.
This is part of my problem. Right now I have hand-me-down boots that are too small to layer up on the socks.

Last edited:
I've been told the same when I considered buying a pair when I was showing horses. If the steel gets bent in, your toe is STUCK!

I have a pair of battery powered socks that I wear. They are amazing!!!
omg. give that inventor a cookie.

OP: TBH, the only way I could keep my toes warm during my animal science classes at the barns was to put those air-activated hand warming things in the toes of my boots. I wore several pairs of thick socks and good, heavy duty winter boots (not even rubber/muck boots at that point) and I would still go numb without the warmies. It could have been because most of my classes were standing and observing and not too much motion to keep you warm, but still.