Was this a serious goof in my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoadude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tongue in cheek? Rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do we know? Come back and tell us in a few weeks. And in a few years, come back and read this. Sounds like what happened in a funny movie. Which one was that?
At one of the schools where I interviewed, my first interview was at 1:00. We had just finished the tour and eaten lunch so I was a little wary of bad breath. Around 12:48 or so I started eating a complementary breath mint that the school had in a little bucket. I figured I had enough time to eat the mint before my interview. But my interviewer (faculty!) walked in at 12:50 and announced my name... So for the first few minutes of the interview I was focused on hiding the breath mint in my cheek/sneakily trying to break down the freakin thing and swallow it (big mints). It was also awkward talking with it in my mouth. Do you think this would have looked disrespectful or rubbed the interviewer the wrong way? :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't you just chew and swallow the thing when you were walking to the interview room?

Reactions: 1 users
Quit fussing, you're fine.

At one of the schools where I interviewed, my first interview was at 1:00. We had just finished the tour and eaten lunch so I was a little wary of bad breath. Around 12:48 or so I started eating a complementary breath mint that the school had in a little bucket. I figured I had enough time to eat the mint before my interview. But my interviewer (faculty!) walked in at 12:50 and announced my name... So for the first few minutes of the interview I was focused on hiding the breath mint in my cheek/sneakily trying to break down the freakin thing and swallow it (big mints). It was also awkward talking with it in my mouth. Do you think this would have looked disrespectful or rubbed the interviewer the wrong way? :/

Reactions: 5 users
Literally the same thing happened to me. I chewed and swallowed that thing in like a madman.

Reactions: 1 user
This happens all the time. We call it "minting" in my program. It's a ten point deduction from your Total Interview Score. Generally, minting victims are waitlisted, although if you perform exceptional, you can get accepted despite it.

I'm just kidding. Relax, you're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
This is so tiny and unrelated to anything, I wouldn't worry about it

I've been waitlisted at schools that told me they wanted to accept me on the spot. So nobody knows how adcoms really look at a candidate.