Wash U Second Look Weekend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloridaMadame

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Wash U and I am as confused as ever. Did anyone leave this weekend knowing 100% that this was where they belonged? Or, are some of you still unsure as to whether or not you'll be at Wash U in August. I really am having a tough time figuring out my feelings--there was nothing that I hated, but there was nothing that I loved so much that I couldn't live without the school. Anyone else in the same boat as me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't go to the second look weekend, but on my interview visit I thought the hospitals were fantastic - really first class. Also, I think the new student/education center is going to be great. I'm just not so sure I will like St. Louis, but I probably have cold feet. I can understand where you are coming from. It's such a commitment... I'm curious to hear what others have to say as well. Good luck, Madame!

FloridaMadame said:
I just got back from Wash U and I am as confused as ever. Did anyone leave this weekend knowing 100% that this was where they belonged? Or, are some of you still unsure as to whether or not you'll be at Wash U in August. I really am having a tough time figuring out my feelings--there was nothing that I hated, but there was nothing that I loved so much that I couldn't live without the school. Anyone else in the same boat as me? :confused:

Do you know exactly what it was about the school you weren't so thrilled about (curriculum, attitude of school, location, etc)? I wasn't accepted to the med school, but I did go to WashU undergrad, worked at a lab at the med school, have had some classes on the campus, and know current MS1 students so I have a general idea about what the school is like. The friends I have who are MS1 at WUSM absolutely love it. They love their profs, their fellow students, the curriculum, and the general atmosphere of the school. I, as well, loved the professors I've taken classes from at the med school and the PI at my lab was amazing.

The biggest problem most people have with the school is St. Louis itself, but it's not that bad. Plus the med school is in a nicer area of town, right next to Forest Park and in the Central West End, which has great restaurants (when you don't want to cook) and even a 24-hour coffee shop (when you have to study late and can't take the library anymore). And you can't beat the low cost of living.

I definitely understand what it feels like to be fairly ambivalent about a school. But I'm also a firm believer in people making their experiences what they are. That school you fell in love with during the interview may have some hidden downfalls you didn't see, or the school you weren't thrilled with could become the best time of your life because of the friends you made and the experiences you had. Either way, good luck with your decision. It's a hard one to make, but in the end I have a feeling you'll be very happy with wherever you decide to go. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people attended the second look this past weekend? It looks like there are only going to be 10 or so people at the second revisit next week.

ninebillion said:
How many people attended the second look this past weekend? It looks like there are only going to be 10 or so people at the second revisit next week.

There were a lot. I'd estimate about 50 or so, probably more. It's too bad that there won't be a lot of people at the next revisit weekend -- the thing that sold me most on WashU was that I got to meet my future classmates, most of whom seem really cool and down-to-earth.

What did others think?

sakura181 said:
Do you know exactly what it was about the school you weren't so thrilled about (curriculum, attitude of school, location, etc)?

That is really my problem--I can't put my finger on what is bothering me about the school. Everyone I met this weekend was really nice, especially the M1's who I spent alot of time with. I guess it is really a combination of factors: 2nd year no longer being pass/fail and the probable competition that it might breed; going to st.louis where i know NO ONE; concerned about being in a place where everyone has super stellar grades and mcat scores; st. louis isn't exactly boston, ny, or chicago (I am used to big city living). I know that there are also great "pluses" in favor of Wash U, which might in the end overshadow my doubts. My plan right now is to go to a few remaining 2nd look weekends at other schools and see how I feel afterwards. I really thought that I was going to go to Wash U and come out saying "This is the place for me" but I didn't. Then again, I can't say that "This place isn't for me" either. I guess the next few weeks are going to be very tense.

there were a few girls from florida.....which one were you

bleh4788 said:
there were a few girls from florida.....which one were you

Actually, I'm not from Florida but my mother is. We jokingly refer to her as "The Madame" (long story), but I thought that would make a good name and keep me anonymous. Evidently you went to Wash U 2nd look. Are you definitely going to go there or are you considering somewhere else? Anyone else confused about the school or just me?