Washington university St. Louis post bac pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicalintern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have been looking into more post bac programs and came across Washington university in St. Louis. I have only found a thread or two about the program that didn't contain that much information. does anyone have any information about this program or know of any threads that have valuable information? Or if anyone has an opinion to share about the program that has yet to be posted?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have been admitted to this program yesterday (haha just yesterday) and I also want some more information from about this program.

Hello everyone!

I have been looking into more post bac programs and came across Washington university in St. Louis. I have only found a thread or two about the program that didn't contain that much information. does anyone have any information about this program or know of any threads that have valuable information? Or if anyone has an opinion to share about the program that has yet to be posted?

Thanks!

What do you want to know specifically?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on SDN.
I've been admitted.

Is anyone looking for a roommate? I've been looking for an apartment for a week. Quadrangle is kinda expensive so I thought I'd just do my own research on finding an apartment or a roommate. But I'd rather live with a roommate and save some money.

If you have any info pls pass it on.

Do you know the class size, matriculant rate to MD schools for those taking the enhancement track vs the core track, or the types of research jobs that the post-bacc students typically try to get (paid or unpaid)?

There is some information about medical school acceptances and class size here, but it is not specific:
https://services.aamc.org/postbac/viewprog.cfm?id=473&PROG_NAME=Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program &PROG_INST=Washington University in St. Louis

Denver90, check out this link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/washington-university-in-st-louis-post-bacc-premed.597087/

From what I gather class sizes will be small. I've heard also that the adivsors help students find volunteer/shadowing positions and work-study positions at research labs.

Enhancement or Core track. I asked about the program length and what the options are and here's the response I received:

"The program is normally 24 months, although students seeking enhancement may complete it sooner. The additional year in the path to medical school is the gap year in which you are applying and interviewing. Some students continue to take classes during this period, as well. Every student admitted to the program meets with an assigned advisor (Elizabeth Fogt and Shawn Cummings advise students in this program) to map out a plan for success."

The responder said nothing about matriculation rate. I Hope that was helpful.

I have recently been accepted to the program. Did anyone end up attending? Please PM me. I have a few questions to ask. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Was wondering if you are able to use financial aid to pay for housing as well while attending the post bacc? Thanks guys

Was wondering if you are able to use financial aid to pay for housing as well while attending the post bacc? Thanks guys

Yea, I'm doing it now. I also scribe on the the side though to gain clinical experience and pay for living expenses.

Yea, I'm doing it now. I also scribe on the the side though to gain clinical experience and pay for living expenses.

Thanks. Housing seems to be crazy expensive on top of sort of expensive classes. Overall how do you like your experience?

Thanks. Housing seems to be crazy expensive on top of sort of expensive classes. Overall how do you like your experience?

Going through Wash U, it can be expensive but there are plenty of affordable places in Stl. You just have to look. I'm going to warn you now, some of the places, even those close to campus, may seem a bit sketch but they are perfectly fine. The city of St. Louis as whole just looks old. Are you going to have car? That further determines your options and I could throw a few neighborhoods at you.

As far as the institution, classes are pricey but you're paying for the clout of the name. Don't know your undergrad story but if you can excel at a well-known school such as Wash. U. then you can begin building your reputation as a person able to handle rigor. I have no gripes about the institution itself and the professors are great. I don't particularly care for St. Louis in general but only because it's small to me. But, truth be told, it was the best environment for me because it allowed me to focus.

Going through Wash U, it can be expensive but there are plenty of affordable places in Stl. You just have to look. I'm going to warn you now, some of the places, even those close to campus, may seem a bit sketch but they are perfectly fine. The city of St. Louis as whole just looks old. Are you going to have car? That further determines your options and I could throw a few neighborhoods at you.

As far as the institution, classes are pricey but you're paying for the clout of the name. Don't know your undergrad story but if you can excel at a well-known school such as Wash. U. then you can begin building your reputation as a person able to handle rigor. I have no gripes about the institution itself and the professors are great. I don't particularly care for St. Louis in general but only because it's small to me. But, truth be told, it was the best environment for me because it allowed me to focus.

Hey man I was just accepted to Wash U and I'm most likely going to go. Were you happy with your choice to attend? I am just looking for a place with a really good rep and great teachers. And I was actually attracted to the 2-year length so I could maximize my chances of getting As and also take time to throw in some research and volunteering. Like you I'm already thinking St. Louis is not where I want to be long term but it seems like a good place to focus up. Basically just wondering how you like it. How are the classes and opportunities outside of them? Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in this program as well, I will be applying by the end of this week. @Mr.SoloDolo what were your stats when you applied? I am at a 3.53 cGPA and 3.47 sGPA with 503 MCAT.

Hey @maydaymalone . I had a 3.71 cGPA, 2220 SAT (no Mcat yet) and my science gpa is solid but haven't even calculated it because it involves none of the science that actually matters for premed (it was courses like global warming and geology). I need to do every single science course once I'm there.

What are your thoughts on the wash u program?

I am currently a senior bio major and I will potentially have a 3.6-3.63 cGPA and 3.5-3.53 sGPA after my senior year, so I will be entering the post-bacc program at Washu with those stats, however, will be applying with the stats I listed in my above post. I will be using it as a record enhancer as I have completed the pre med reqs. I have a close friend who is also using it as a record enhancer and says its easier than undergrad coursework and he is getting a 4.0. That is the only reason why I am interested in the post-bacc program. However, after talking to some people I have been told that for my gap year I really don't (and you dont either) need to do a post-bacc because my GPA is above a 3.55 or whatever is considered competitive for med school. The only reason I would do it is because its apparently easy and its Washu which is a great school.

What are your reasons for doing the program with a high GPA? @Mr.SoloDolo

@maydaymalone hey sorry for the late reply. I need to do it because I don't have any of the science premed prereqs yet. How's your search for a program going? Are you still going to go or deciding against it now?

It's been 5 weeks since my app was complete and still haven't heard back. When did you guys get your decisions?

Are these linkage opportunities only available to students completing the traditional curriculum, or does this also apply to students enrolled in the enhancement curriculum?

Hi all, I'm a participant of this program (currently in my glide year) who is now a work study in this program's admissions office. If you have any questions, you can feel free to contact me. The linkage opportunities are only for those completing the traditional curriculum. Not the enhancement curriculum.

The linkage opportunities are only for those completing the traditional curriculum. Not the enhancement curriculum.

Sorry to necrobumb, but I emailed the admissions office about a year ago regarding this issue and I was told that linkages are for both pathways. I ended up matriculating elsewhere, but for the sake of clarity and to help future applicants, can someone confirm or deny this?

Sorry to necrobumb, but I emailed the admissions office about a year ago regarding this issue and I was told that linkages are for both pathways. I ended up matriculating elsewhere, but for the sake of clarity and to help future applicants, can someone confirm or deny this?

Hey, yeah and sorry about that. You're actually correct, however very very few people on the enhancement track are eligible for the linkage program. I have yet to meet or see any who are in it from the enhancement track. That said, it is on a case by case basis and you would have a sit down with an admissions member of the school you are hoping to follow the linkage program for.