WashU vs Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForHumors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Know it's already been hashed out, but wanted to run it by with my specifics.
Interested in academic psychiatry.
WashU (40k per year) vs Vanderbilt (30k per year).
Liked the atmosphere and students at WashU (I don't believe the hype that WashU is full of gunners). Liked the student-centered focus at Vanderbilt. Is WashU worth another 40k+ in debt? I am considering switching into MSTP.
Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

Two awesome schools to choose from. In my opinion, Nashville > St. Louis and Vandy is going to be a little bit cheaper for you (although I'm not sure how the cost of living will compare). WashU's psych residency is ranked a little bit higher, but both are solid programs. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Vandy.

I agree with you about the vibe at WashU, definitely more relaxed than I expected based on what you hear via SDN. (I just made a similar decision and picked washU) With prices this close, I'd try and decide where you want to go regardless of money.

I think the biggest difference is the 1 year preclinical at Vandy vs. the more traditional 2 years at WashU. Also, I got the feeling that students are very well supported by the administration at washU and everyone was really happy. Since you're wanting to do academics I dare say washU has the slight edge in terms of research opportunities. Really can't go wrong either way !

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/universities-get-second-opinion-on-their-hospitals-1429725107

Vanderbilt medical center is really not doing well financially (plenty of other articles about vandy specifically). If you don't think this financial situation is going to translate to clinicians and staff being a little upset and therefore give you a less than enthuastic clinical years, you have another thing coming.

Interesting. When I was there -granted, many years ago- that was never anything that trickled down to be on the med students' radars. Not sure it's the best thing to hinge a decision on as an incoming MS1, but when you have such equally good options, you have to pick something.

OP- My years in Nashville were honestly among the best of my life, so I'm very biased. But you really can't go wrong with either. Congratulations!!

I just made a similar decision as you- it seems to me just from reading your post that WashU is where your heart is... if this is the case, then I think 40K over 4 years is pretty insignificant in the long term that you can choose to go to WashU without feeling bad about the 40K extra debt.
Overall, I would agree with what Willy38 said above me: 40K is such a non-game changer in this process that you should consider where to go without really looking at the finances. At the end of the day, both will provide great research opportunities (with WashU being slightly more academically oriented I think, aka a lot of students around you will also want to go into academics, and one of WashU's main goals is to launch students' academic career), so I would go where I fit in best with the people/atmosphere.

Reactions: 1 users
WashU. Vanderbilt is going through financial difficulties and the best researchers are leaving. The best Psych research faculty have left Vanderbilt already. 40K vs 30K should not influence your decision. Residency is about connections and you will find better sources of connection at WashU. You will also find less narcissistic, more intelligent colleagues at WashU and better academic research opportunities. Ignore anyone who tells you that Nashville is cheap - around the medical center, rent and mortgage is quite expensive (and I am comparing to the Bay Area). It is a mid-sized city without any urban center.