Wasted two years...What to do? Very stressed and feeling hopeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBear456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to preface my comments by thanking you all for your help. I'm facing a big dilemma on many fronts and am utterly helpless and depressed so I definitely could use as much feedback as possible. A little bit about me... I graduated from UCBerkley in 2019 with a 3.83 CGPA/ 3.77 BCPM GPA. I have been working as a Research Associate since last year. I have extensive volunteer experiences, clinical experience, leadership experiences stretching over many years. I further have a publication, a poster and also an oral presentation at a major conference.

My planning has honestly been utter garbage and I am ashamed to say that I still have not taken the MCAT. I tried to study initially after graduation and take it in 2020, but due to bad studying methods and COVID, I was unsuccessful. I was so burnt out from myself studying that after picking up my CRC job in October 2020, I couldn't even open my book, even though there was plenty of down time. I kept putting it off saying next day, and I'm now in a situation with no MCAT score.

My personal statement, activity descriptions are done but I still have no mcat score. The last day to take it this year is September 11th, which is just about 2 months and 1 week away. The next option is to take the MCAT in January 2022.

I know that a Sept 11th mcat is already awfully late for MD, and okay for DO. However, I just feel so sad because due to my planning, I messed up 2 years of my life (albeit I saved up quite a bit of money from work) and with all the work I did in undergrad, I am not giving myself a shot at a MD. Would people recommend that I study for the Sept 11th MCAT (I don't even know if that's enough time) and just give it a go this cycle? Then take it once again in January 2022 with more study time, and see how I do? If for ex. I don't cross a 510, then I'll take what DO school I can get. However, if I score a 515+ then I'll have the confidence that I will have a good chance next cycle and it'll be worth a go.

The other option, is to just take it in Jan 2022, and if I don't score a 510+ then submit my aacomas app in Jan 2022, and pray I get into a DO school, which may be possible with my stats (even though it's quite late). I definitely feel my age (24) and I want to get started with my life, but at the same time, this is a huge decision and one that I can't make on my own.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Like marriage, one should not rush into an application cycle. Like marriage, the goal should be to do it wisely and only once. The same goes for the MCAT, prepare and take it when you are ready and don't rush it because there is a deadline looming.

You haven't "wasted" 2 years, you've gained valuable life experience. Working for one more year and applying in June 2022 to matriculate in summer 2023 should be your goal. Get yourself a January test date and check out the MCAT subforum for study schedule and commit to it. As the date gets closer, devote 7 solid hours to a practice test under test conditions (pack your lunch, timed bathroom breaks, etc) so that the real day is just another test day. You have what it takes to do MD if that is what you really want (wish I had a dollar for every person who gets into DO school and then wonders if they should reapply to MD schools in a subsequent cycle).

Throw away your birthday candles and don't worry about how old you'll be when you matriculate.... if you are under 30, you are still young!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 24 users
Hello everyone,

I want to preface my comments by thanking you all for your help. I'm facing a big dilemma on many fronts and am utterly helpless and depressed so I definitely could use as much feedback as possible. A little bit about me... I graduated from UCBerkley in 2019 with a 3.83 CGPA/ 3.77 BCPM GPA. I have been working as a Research Associate since last year. I have extensive volunteer experiences, clinical experience, leadership experiences stretching over many years. I further have a publication, a poster and also an oral presentation at a major conference.

My planning has honestly been utter garbage and I am ashamed to say that I still have not taken the MCAT. I tried to study initially after graduation and take it in 2020, but due to bad studying methods and COVID, I was unsuccessful. I was so burnt out from myself studying that after picking up my CRC job in October 2020, I couldn't even open my book, even though there was plenty of down time. I kept putting it off saying next day, and I'm now in a situation with no MCAT score.

My personal statement, activity descriptions are done but I still have no mcat score. The last day to take it this year is September 11th, which is just about 2 months and 1 week away. The next option is to take the MCAT in January 2022.

I know that a Sept 11th mcat is already awfully late for MD, and okay for DO. However, I just feel so sad because due to my planning, I messed up 2 years of my life (albeit I saved up quite a bit of money from work) and with all the work I did in undergrad, I am not giving myself a shot at a MD. Would people recommend that I study for the Sept 11th MCAT (I don't even know if that's enough time) and just give it a go this cycle? Then take it once again in January 2022 with more study time, and see how I do? If for ex. I don't cross a 510, then I'll take what DO school I can get. However, if I score a 515+ then I'll have the confidence that I will have a good chance next cycle and it'll be worth a go.

The other option, is to just take it in Jan 2022, and if I don't score a 510+ then submit my aacomas app in Jan 2022, and pray I get into a DO school, which may be possible with my stats (even though it's quite late). I definitely feel my age (24) and I want to get started with my life, but at the same time, this is a huge decision and one that I can't make on my own.

Thanks
24 is still plenty young. Once you start med school, you’ll look back on those 2 years and remember how nice it was living a normal life.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though I am not an advocate of gap years, 2 or 3 gap years are nothing in grand scheme. You will be working into early 70s so don’t worry too much about it. Focus on MCAT prep and take it when you are ready ie consistently scoring well in practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Something I've learned since coming to medical school is measuring your life based on how close it brings you to becoming a physician is incredibly dumb. In undergrad, I just wanted to go straight through to medical school so I didn't have to waste any time. I was unsuccessful in my first cycle, and I also thought that I had "wasted" a year of my life. Now that I'm here, I'm glad I had that gap year- in fact, I wish I took more years off. Many of my friends and classmates who went straight through wished that they had time to live life and do something outside of medicine.

Treat this year as a blessing- if your application is ready and all you need is an MCAT, then spend the year doing something you love (after you take the MCAT). You're in your early 20s- there's no shame in doing something non-medicine.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Listen to what the wise LizzyM told you, and get some help for your self-esteem.

Also, forget about trying to get into medical school on some unwise time schedule. Your goal is to get into med school with the best possible app, even if it takes one-12 more years, Med schools aren't going anywhere.

And 24??? Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. So stop feeling sorry for yourself. It's unbecoming!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Don't take the September exam. That's way too late for MD this cycle. Even if you only did DO this cycle, it'd be cutting it unnecessarily close.

Plan to only take the MCAT once. Taking it twice isn't a great plan because A) it's stressful to prep for and B)many schools average your score across multiple attempts, so if you do very poorly, that's gonna be a mark on your application, even if you eventually get a strong score.

Take the MCAT when and only when you've sufficiently prepped and are ready to get your highest possible score, ideally sometime early to mid next year before April. This will put you in a great position to get your application in early next June.

Also, please don't think of this cycle or this year as "wasted." Use this time to do things that you enjoy and that edify you. Time spent not in med school is not a waste, and you are likely gaining many skills that will help you eventually as a doctor. The experiences and lessons I gained from my gap years have made med school so so much better. Med school will be here when you're ready.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Even though I am not an advocate of gap years, 2 or 3 gap years are nothing in grand scheme. You will be working into early 70s so don’t worry too much about it. Focus on MCAT prep and take it when you are ready ie consistently scoring well in practice tests.
Working into your early 70's? Speak for yourself ! With a financial plan, you can get out before that. My wife will be out at 62. Your point is well taken. A couple gap years is no big deal. OP, keep your eye on the prize.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone,

Thanks
A few thoughts.

YOur gap years aren't wasted years. They are growth years. Or should be . Stop beating yourself up. Your age isn't big deal. Many med students start med school at 24 or (much) later. Look forward and pursue your dreams, and stop looking back, comparing yourself to others, and putting yourself down.

Now start on the path to med school -- if that's what you really and truly want deep down in your heart of hearts.

Do start studying for the MCAT. Enroll in a course if you must or hire a tutor, but set up some schedule with accountability. A study buddy might do it, but do something so that you crack those books on a steady schedule and prepare. Personally I would encourage you to prepare for the January date and take it with the intention of taking it once. That test date will give you plenty of time to get your score back, research schools that are appropriate given your stats and interests, stay involved in volunteering/clinical, and then apply early. In other words, you'll be able to set yourself up for success.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Is there any thought that you have hesitated to pull the final trigger and take the MCAT? There is nothing wrong with that, but if that is at all possible, maybe think about why you are hesitating, and deal with that. There’s nothing wrong with hesitating to go down this path; it shows you probably understand the gravity of the decision better than most.

Like LizzyM said, if you’re under 30 you are young (this is from someone who started med school at 31 and now feels very very old). Do it right the first time and study for the January exam.

• Care
Remember these words

I am a part of all that I have met
Too much is taken; much abides
That which we are; we are
One temper of heroic heart
Strong in will to strive,
To seek, to findand not to yield

The cause endures, the Hope still lives and the dream shall never die

If you really want something you’ll make it happen. If not, you’ll make an excuse

Last edited:
I’m 30 in my first year of medical school. Don’t worry about being 24. In fact it’s nice to live some of your 20s before medical school. Take MCAT in January and apply next year.

• Care
Hello everyone,

Thanks
You are still young. There will be PLENTY of people older than you in med school. Like has been said elsewhere on this forum, don't take the MCAT until you're hitting your target score consistently. There is no need to take it before then.

1. I don't see how you could have a high GPA like that and "not know how to study/not have the willpower to study" (if that's what you're saying; it's a bit unclear), so believe in yourself, have confidence, and put your nose to the grindstone
2. I am not quite sure how you "messed up your life due to planning," if you'd like to elaborate--sounds like you gained a ton of research and life experience

• Care