Waterloo Optometry class of 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesky1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
Haven't seen anyone create a Class of 2027 Waterloo OD-specific thread. So I decided to create one

OAT scores:
GPA:
Major:
ECs:
Casper Quartile:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. This is my first year applying.

OAT scores: 400 TS/ 380 AA
GPA: 79.91
Major: Biochemistry at University of Waterloo
ECs:
  • 20 months worth of full-time work experience in the Waterloo co-op program. Worked at mostly life science companies in R&D lab settings. 2 other labour jobs during high school.
  • 172 hours of volunteering at hospitals (split between 2 hospitals)
  • 232 hours of volunteering at other charity-type organizations (food bank and free tutoring)
  • 120 hours of volunteering at an annual festival since 2015
Optometry experience (with the same doctor):
  • 9 hours of pure job shadowing (doing pre-testing under doctor supervision, sitting in on exams)
  • 52 hours of volunteering (COVID screening, handling calls and booking appointments, managing inventory of eyeglasses and contact lenses)
Casper Quartile: 4th

My biggest concern is my GPA, which just meets the low end of what they accept. I'm only applying Waterloo so I hope they're willing to overlook this for the rest of my application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. This is my first year applying.

OAT scores: 400 TS/ 380 AA
GPA: 79.91
Major: Biochemistry at University of Waterloo
ECs:
  • 20 months worth of full-time work experience in the Waterloo co-op program. Worked at mostly life science companies in R&D lab settings. 2 other labour jobs during high school.
  • 172 hours of volunteering at hospitals (split between 2 hospitals)
  • 232 hours of volunteering at other charity-type organizations (food bank and free tutoring)
  • 120 hours of volunteering at an annual festival since 2015
Optometry experience (with the same doctor):
  • 9 hours of pure job shadowing (doing pre-testing under doctor supervision, sitting in on exams)
  • 52 hours of volunteering (COVID screening, handling calls and booking appointments, managing inventory of eyeglasses and contact lenses)

My biggest concern is my GPA, which just meets the low end of what they accept. I'm only applying Waterloo so I hope they're willing to overlook this for the rest of my application.
I'm assuming since you already got your Casper score that you've completed your snapshot as well. Could you provide any insight on how that went and any tips? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm assuming since you already got your Casper score that you've completed your snapshot as well. Could you provide any insight on how that went and any tips? Thanks in advance
I would say there's really no way to prepare in advance. I tried to anticipate the questions and they were different than I thought. Just be comfortable speaking in front of your screen to nobody lol

Hey everyone, this is my first time applying.

OAT scores: 400TS/390AA
GPA: 86
Major: Health Sciences
Work experience: lifeguard & swim instructor (4 years), swim coach (2 summers)

ECs:
- Competitive/varsity swimming (650 hours from 2021/22 season; actual hours 8000+)
- Ice hockey (300 hours from last two years of playing; actual hours 1600+)
- Acoustic guitar (500 hours; learned during quarantine)
- Varsity swim team social media member (200 hours)
- Ecology Ottawa (45 hours)
- 101 week leader (13 hours)

Optometry Experience:
- 30 hours of shadowing from three different doctors

Casper Quartile: 3rd

Looking forward to taking this journey with you all!

OAT scores: 360TS/360AA
GPA: 3.87/87%
Major: Biology
ECs: Member/Vice Pres then Pres of Student Organization over 3 years. Volunteering through a community church and occasionally RMHC for 100+ volunteer hours. Four years of part time optical experience and two years of full time experience working as a receptionist/optometric assistant ~6000+ hours. Job Shadowing a different optometrist than the 3 worked with for 16 hours.
Casper Quartile: 3rd

This is my second year applying. I did apply last year and got denied, I think because I scored poorly on my Casper (in the 1st quartile).

OAT scores: 350AA/380TS
GPA: 86

ECs:
- 1 year part time Optometric Receptionist (currently still doing)
- 640 hours of shadowing for OD
- 160 hours volunteering for OD
- 40 hours of COVID volunteer coordinator
- Employed Tutoring for an organization
- Peer tutoring
- Basketball and table tennis intramurals
- Mentorship
- Apart of 2 McMaster teams
- Volunteered at public school as teaching assistant

Casper Quartile: 4th quartile

Hope it works out for everybody!

Last edited:
First time applying

OAT scores: 400TS:400AA
GPA: 94.4
ECs: 16 hours shadowing, first author pub, NSERC, lots of nonclinical

Last edited:
Has anyone received their Casper scores on Quest yet? Altus Suite says they sent it to the program but on Quest, there is no date received.

Has anyone received their Casper scores on Quest yet? Altus Suite says they sent it to the program but on Quest, there is no date received.
I don't think anyone has received it. It might be that the scores will go directly to the university without going through Quest first.

I've recieved and accepted my offer of admission on Quest, but I have not received my email yet! QUEST updated at 8:30 AM.

This message is from the Orientation Committee for the UW Optometry Class of 2027! We have a Facebook group set up for you guys to meet your new classmates, find roommates and organize housing, post any questions you may have about coming to Waterloo, as well as anything else you can think of! We will also be posting updates for your class through this group. You will only be able to join this group after you received your letter of offer attached in the email. If you’ve accepted your offer, please answer the questions and request to join the Facebook group at the following link: https://m.facebook.com/groups/912036413372495/?ref=share&mibextid=S66gvF

Autumn, Jeremiah, and KP

Optometry 2023 Orientation Co-Chairs

For future reference: Quest updated with admission offers at around 9am on March 30th. The email came at 12:33pm for me. However, the email didn't say anything that wasn't already in the letter of admission that became available on Quest after accepting the offer.

Hello all,

For those of you who didn’t receive the news that you were hoping for in your application today or earlier, PLEASE do not be discouraged. Your admission decision is not a reflection on who you are as a person. Not being accepted does NOT mean that you aren’t smart, accomplished, or that you won’t be an excellent optometrist one day.

The application process was a long one, and if you went through it that means that you are passionate about this field, so please do not give up on optometry. Try again next year. Use this year to improve any areas of your application.If you are hesitant about applying next year, whether it be for the first time or you are re-applying, don’t worry, just go for it! You’ve got this, I believe in you! If you are hesitant about your age when going through the program, not to worry. I'm a current student and a couple of my classmates are in their 30’s and lots of us are in our mid-20’s. We all get along together just fine despite the variation in age and the older classmates say that entering the program late is worth it to practice for a lifetime in the career they want.

If you're waitlisted, also don't worry. You have a chance. I was waitlisted too and got in. Again, being waitlisted is not a reflection on who you are or your capabilities.

Don’t give up on yourself. Whether it be next year or the year after, Waterloo or elsewhere, keep applying, the field needs you!

Hello all,

For those of you who didn’t receive the news that you were hoping for in your application today or earlier, PLEASE do not be discouraged. Your admission decision is not a reflection on who you are as a person. Not being accepted does NOT mean that you aren’t smart, accomplished, or that you won’t be an excellent optometrist one day.

The application process was a long one, and if you went through it that means that you are passionate about this field, so please do not give up on optometry. Try again next year. Use this year to improve any areas of your application.If you are hesitant about applying next year, whether it be for the first time or you are re-applying, don’t worry, just go for it! You’ve got this, I believe in you! If you are hesitant about your age when going through the program, not to worry. I'm a current student and a couple of my classmates are in their 30’s and lots of us are in our mid-20’s. We all get along together just fine despite the variation in age and the older classmates say that entering the program late is worth it to practice for a lifetime in the career they want.

If you're waitlisted, also don't worry. You have a chance. I was waitlisted too and got in. Again, being waitlisted is not a reflection on who you are or your capabilities.

Don’t give up on yourself. Whether it be next year or the year after, Waterloo or elsewhere, keep applying, the field needs you!
What does the admission status say if youre waitlisted?