Ways to improve writing skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oralcare123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ways to improve my writing skills. It is not so much grammar or vocabulary deficiency, I just do not know what to write and how to express myself. Recently I had to write eight secondary application essays, it was too difficult. Obviously English is not my first language, my TOEFL is 113
Please advise me where to look for special courses and what they could be called. Is it just creative writing or I should look for something else.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you're willing to take a course, excellent. I would suggest a technical writing course; mine was called "technical writing for scientists". I am a native english speaker but before taking this course had a very difficult time expressing my ideas in written form. I wrote in a spoken voice, with plenty of run-on sentences, poor paragraph structure, etc. It wasn't grammar, just a difficulty writing in a manner that was best for the reader.

every university (3) i've been too has a writing center where they can work with you on this sort of thing. i'd say look for one of those.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in the university yet, but suspect, if I continue writing the way I do currently, they would never accept me.
I think I have the same problems as Quik. Would be great to learn to write and speak "like smart people".
I know the basic structure of an essay, but express myself in a spoken language.
Should I search community colleges for technical writing courses?

I would. A writing center can and will offer help and support, but I would expect real gains to be made from a course that teaches you a foundation of skills to structure your literature.

The class I took was called "writing for business" (back when I was once a business major). I believe though, that any "writing for profession x" course should teach the same set of technical writing skills. The idea of technical writing in a very quick point is "maximize content with minimal wordage." I still haven't mastered the skill, but its better ;)

Be sure and research the course in depth if you can, before you enroll.

I only say this, because I took technical writing and it was nothing but a graphic design course...certainly wouldn't be beneficial to someone wanting to learn better grammar, sentence structure, composition, etc.

READ!!!!!!! I'm not kidding, reading is really one of the best ways to improve your writing and I'm not talking about FB or sdn posts. A writing class will only give you so much in terms of grammar, composition, ect... and writing centers also are limited in its advice depending on who you talk to( I might be a bit biased but I've had bad experiences with writing centers :/). One of the most memorable pieces of advice a professor taught me was to open a book and read. Not only do you learn proper grammar and structure, you also learn to develop your own writing style that really stands out for readers. Heck you'll be surprised with how big your own vocabulary will expand! You can try classes but picking up a book will also be very valuable :)

Reactions: 1 user
This is actually really good advice as well.

Maybe you good suggest some things for the OP to start with?

READ!!!!!!! I'm not kidding, reading is really one of the best ways to improve your writing and I'm not talking about FB or sdn posts. A writing class will only give you so much in terms of grammar, composition, ect... and writing centers also are limited in its advice depending on who you talk to( I might be a bit biased but I've had bad experiences with writing centers :/). One of the most memorable pieces of advice a professor taught me was to open a book and read. Not only do you learn proper grammar and structure, you also learn to develop your own writing style that really stands out for readers. Heck you'll be surprised with how big your own vocabulary will expand! You can try classes but picking up a book will also be very valuable :)

What do you mean you're not in university yet? Have you not gone to undergrad yet?

I am an internationally trained dentist. I need another 2 years of training in the university to be able to get licensed to practice

This is actually really good advice as well.

Maybe you good suggest some things for the OP to start with?

I second the reading advice and actually suggestion reading the news (proper newspapers, not junk sites) as well as longform journalism (longreads.com is great). Novels and books are wonderful to read as well, of course, but reading journalism can be particularly helpful because they write nonfiction under tight deadlines and limited space, as you will often have to do professionally for any kind of writing. And it's much more interesting for leisure reading than scientific journals, although those are even more directly relevant.

I will echo the reading suggestion. I studied English composition pedagogy in college, have taught English overseas, was the lead editor at an educational materials publishing house, and am a practicing attorney. Writing, and reading other peoples' writing, has been a huge part of my life.

While people all learn in different ways, I can say with some authority that I have never known a person who could recognize good writing while reading who was not also a decent writer. I would suggest reading things that will both (a) be genuinely interesting to you and (b) be at the edge of the complexity you are comfortable with at this point. You need the interesting material to keep engaged. You need the complexity so that you're actually challenging yourself and learning to appreciate good writing.

Note that "complexity" does not mean it has to be about a complex topic. It only means that the person uses words, phrases, similes and metaphors, or other writing techniques that you want to learn but do not currently feel comfortable using. When I read, I keep an eye on how the author has structured the sentence and why he/she did it that way.

Beyond simply getting your technical grammar and spelling down, the biggest bang for your buck will be learning to appreciate good structure in a written piece. Even a starkly built, mince-no-words piece can be persuasive and appear "good" if the topic is written in the appropriate order. Why has the author started the sentence this way? Why did this detail come in the middle instead of at the beginning? Did a certain metaphor or segue strike you as being particularly good? Incorporate that into your toolbox (but don't plagiarize, of course).

To emphasize, be an active reader instead of a passive one. Learn to appreciate the art, and you will gain not only the pleasure that comes with analyzing and playing with the English language, but you will also become a better writer.

Reactions: 2 users
Excellent suggestion above.

@oralcare123 I bet it would also be helpful if you could follow the suggestions in the above post with a friend, say read the same article or essay and talk about those different questions in career changers post.

oralcare123, I went back and read your earlier comment regarding writing in a "spoken" way and wanted to add another suggestion.

Many novice writers think that the reason that their writing doesn't look "professional" is because it is too casual and spills out like the spoken word. Almost always, this is an illusion. In reality, if you picked up that essay that you wrote and spoke it aloud, you would immediately realize that it sounds jilted and awkward and structurally confusing to the ear. Try this exercise that I did in my first writing class as a freshman in college: pick up your essay and read it out loud as naturally as possible. You will quickly realize that even though it seemed like you wrote it down as naturally as you would have spoken it, you would not sound like that if you were talking to someone about a topic you understood well and wanted to communicate accurately to your audience.

Think about a time when you were speaking to a friend or a relative about an idea that excited you, but you needed to explain it. Because of your interest in the topic, you were knowledgeable and confident in telling them about it. The words and details probably flowed off your tongue easily. That's exactly what you want to mimic in your writing, and you have the luxury of time to craft and organize it.

Good writing, even good technical writing regarding technical subjects, should generally read as clearly and persuasively as it is spoken. If you don't think of yourself as particularly good at rhetoric, imagine an internal narrator who is persuasive. Give him or her a voice. Have them read it to you in your head. How does it sound?

If anything, thinking about writing as a way to convey a thought that might otherwise be spoken effectively should help your writing.

For myself, I often think about presenters at TED Talks. I love the way that many of them are able to convey ideas in a simple but persuasive way, despite the complexity of the topics.

However, as a quick caveat, while I think and hope all of this will be helpful to you, keep in mind that there is also a time and place for each kind of writing. I would, for example, discourage you down the road from becoming gripped with courage from your new powers of creativity and compose a flowery sonnet in your lab report. Though, who knows, maybe your professor is a secret Shakespearean enthusiast. The point is simply that there are times to be poignant and there are times to get to the point.

Good luck. Writing can be ever so fun, if you let it.