WBAMC General Surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s42brown

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the story with WBAMC? I'll be doing a general surgery ADT at Beaumont in August and was wondering if anyone has any info on the program or the city of El Paso. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

s42brown said:
Whats the story with WBAMC? I'll be doing a general surgery ADT at Beaumont in August and was wondering if anyone has any info on the program or the city of El Paso. Thanks for the help

i know an IM resident out there. if you're interested in sending them your email addy pm me.

--your friendly neighborhood networked caveman

I visited WBAMC in early July this year and it seems like a pretty good program. They do a lot of teaching and you get fairly equal amounts of OR and clinic time. Their program includes some away rotations during the PGY-4 year to BAMC (Burn, CVT) and some civilian hospitals in Denver (Trauma) as well as a peds surgery rotation in downtown El Paso.
The residents I met were all very helpful and friendly. The attendings were very approachable and had a lot to tell me about serving as an Army surgeon. As far as the rotation goes, you do a lot of hands-on work. There are three teams and each one takes care of about 6 pts. at one time, so it's not a very heavy case load.
I wasn't too crazy about the town, but maybe that's because I got lost on the highway one day and almost ended up in Mexico... :eek:
Hope that helps you. Good luck out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
WBAMC is a great hospital and you will get a lot of good training...The physicians are very nice......but a few can be troublesome....as for the city of El Paso it is slowly improving...you can go to Mexico since it is right there but Juarez is so dangerous you may not be allowed.....there is dirt everywhere and the restaurants and activities of leisure are far and few between....on the upside the housing market is booming and I would kill to be there for the purpose of a house of alone....you can get a very nice home for only 150K.

Thank you for the info. Will you both be joining me in appying for an army general surgery spot? I understand the town isn't perfect but if it's safe for my family and offers good training that works for me. I start an ADT at BAMC on monday, right now that's my first choice but it might change.

Shaun