WebPath CD-ROM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? Is it really that much better than the website that it's justified to spend 60 bucks on it?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand, it's just the website info burned onto a disk. You even have to use internet explorer to run it.

I guarantee someone in your school has it and can burn you a copy. Don't blow $60 for something you can get for free.

I have a copy. There are a lot more images available than with the online version.

You may can get a copy of it at your medical bookstore for free. Just walk in and pick it up off the shelf, hide it in a jacket, and then walk out with it. That way you can get it quicker than waiting for your friend to burn you a copy. Both are the same thing -- stealing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Geek Medic
I have a copy. There are a lot more images available than with the online version.

Do you think it's worth the extra cash? I'm more interested in this for the practice questions than for the images.

Originally posted by rxfudd
Do you think it's worth the extra cash?

It depends how you use it.

If you have a dialup internet account, then yes, it would serve you well to purchase the CD-ROM.

I keep my CD-ROM with me and access it on a laptop during downtime while on call at the hospital, airline flights, bored in a hotel, etc.

You may can get a copy of it at your medical bookstore for free. Just walk in and pick it up off the shelf, hide it in a jacket, and then walk out with it. That way you can get it quicker than waiting for your friend to burn you a copy. Both are the same thing -- stealing.

Geezoo, if you are going to get thrown out of med school for stealing (which you would be if you got caught doing it from your med school bookstore), at least make it stealing something worthwhile like a car or a whole shelf full of expensive medical texts.

Don't think of it as stealing, think of it as an advance on the $7.15 an hour you'll be making during your residency.

Tell me Geek Medic, honestly, that you've never had a friend burn you a copy of software or a music cd, or that you've never downloaded anything from Napster or Kazaa? :rolleyes:

You are a tool.

Originally posted by Goofyone
Tell me Geek Medic, honestly, that you've never had a friend burn you a copy of software or a music cd, or that you've never downloaded anything from Napster or Kazaa? :rolleyes:

Nah man, never stole any software or songs in my life. Never told a lie either. :p

Seriously, it is stealing when you burn a copy of software. If you're comfortable with that, then sobeit.

Well GeekMedic, you're a good man, or a liar :)

Either way, you just made me feel guilty.

There will be about a 10 minute period here when I will just be inconsolable. After that I'll probably move on and start copying more cd's. :laugh:

sorry for the ignorant question but...

what is webpath? i heard people talking about it being a good study aid for the boards? is it just a bunch of questions?

thanks

Originally posted by Halaljello
sorry for the ignorant question but...

what is webpath? i heard people talking about it being a good study aid for the boards? is it just a bunch of questions?

thanks

Webpath is this http://medlib.med.utah.edu/WebPath/webpath.html

It is an excellent resource for studying your path. It's free to use. There are tons of histopath pictures, tutorials, and quizzes. There is even some normal histo.

The cd is a copy of the stuff on the website, with a couple bonuses, and costs $60.

You could get someone to burn you a copy, but that is stealing. But keep in mind the info is free to use anyway, and it costs about a dime to make you a copy that they charge you $60 for.

Of course, I would never do this, I have the moral highground now. Muhahahahahaha

I've been looking into it a bit - the CD is actually more than just the stuff on the website burned to a disc. It's about 3200 questions (as opposed to the website's 1500 or so) and 4600 images (again, about double that of the website).

I went to my school's electronic resource center and they have version 4 on disc (1999). I put in a request for them to update it to version 8. Even if they don't, version 4 still has 2600 questions on it, which is plenty for me...