Weekend/Holiday Externships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterWallace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any OMFS programs that allow externs to come on weekends or holidays? Most programs I have asked said no, and that they only offer Monday - Friday externships. I have a couple of long weekends coming up though like Thursday - Monday off for example, so if anyone knows of any programs that are cool with that please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would be a productive externship. You wouldn't see how the clinic operates, you wouldn't meet faculty, and it would be rare to have a scheduled OR case on a weekend. You would not get to leave an impression nor would you get a feel for the program.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it would be a productive externship. You wouldn't see how the clinic operates, you wouldn't meet faculty, and it would be rare to have a scheduled OR case on a weekend. You would not get to leave an impression nor would you get a feel for the program.
Good point didnt really think about that. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
CWRU

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there are any OMFS programs that allow externs to come on weekends or holidays? Most programs I have asked said no, and that they only offer Monday - Friday externships. I have a couple of long weekends coming up though like Thursday - Monday off for example, so if anyone knows of any programs that are cool with that please let me know!
I’ve known a couple OMFS that went to ‘extern’ on weekends, holidays and every weekday possible when clinic was slow and when they got out of clinic early.

These guys were top applicants.

After doing an externship at their own home program, and got their credentials/badge for the hospital, they continued to show up all the time at their program. Weekends. Holidays. Weekdays. Weekdays after clinic. They scrubbed in on OR cases and assisted in the clinic. They were highly useful. Directing scrub techs and telling them what instruments the surgeon/residents were likely going to ask for next etc. Writing orders.
Everyone in the program knew them and they were appreciated. They were helpful and made the lives of the residents easier.

I don’t know if this is exactly what you were asking but hopefully someone here can learn from this.

Reactions: 4 users
An extern directing scrub techs? I could only imagine the harsh consequences of doing that at the hospital where I did residency.

An extern directing scrub techs? I could only imagine the harsh consequences of doing that at the hospital where I did residency.
For example externs who have scrubbed in and observed multiple orthognathic cases.
They can potentially help scrub techs by letting them know what instruments they need to find and get ready. Thereby helping the surgeons so they don’t sit around and wait while a new scrub tech scrambles to find an instrument that they’ve never seen before.
Obviously not every scrub tech is used to omfs and some may be new on the job. Learning the names of different instruments takes time. I’m sure you know that.

personally I’ve worked with scrub techs that didn’t know the names of the majority of instruments I asked for and literally had to get them myself.

The point is - these externs tried very hard to be helpful instead of being a burden.

Don’t inflate my comment into something that it’s not.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree lol. Wouldn’t recommend this advice to any externs.