weird question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victor14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was talking with my manager at work a couple of weeks ago regarding DDS, MD and other health professions. correct me if i am wrong. but what i understood from his explantion is that a dentist and medical doctor are the only real doctos associated with medicine. is this true? what about DO, OD, DPM, DVM?

i figured i would ask pre dental students about this lol

Members don't see this ad.

It's so true! *Disclaimer* But that's just what I think. *Disclaimer*

Everyone has a role they play in health care however. PTs help you walk again. ODs help you see again. DOs just take away patients from real MDs.

haha DO's just do the same thing as MD's only they use a holistic view of medicine..and it's easier to get into a DO program than an MD..

Members don't see this ad :)
starbright said:
haha DO's just do the same thing as MD's only they use a holistic view of medicine..and it's easier to get into a DO program than an MD..

actually, i knew a plumber turned anesthiosiologist with a D.O. I think that's enough to kill all the remarks that DO's are "primary care" or holistic medicine experts. I dunno, but I know I only need one exception to break the definition.

in general, a DO has the EXACT same rights as a doctor in terms of being in the same residency positions etc, but ONLY in the states. That's the crummy thing. If you leave the country you're allowed to be a massage therapist, basically.

with that said, there are some horrible doctors (and some horrible dentists) and you can't judge the professional just based on his/her MD or DO degree. My doctor's a DO and he's amazing. You might have a DO as your family physician and not even know it.

mlle said:
in general, a DO has the EXACT same rights as a doctor in terms of being in the same residency positions etc, but ONLY in the states. That's the crummy thing. If you leave the country you're allowed to be a massage therapist, basically.

with that said, there are some horrible doctors (and some horrible dentists) and you can't judge the professional just based on his/her MD or DO degree. My doctor's a DO and he's amazing. You might have a DO as your family physician and not even know it.

PERFECTLY SAID! :p

ive personally have always preffered and MD over DO. i became familiar with the DO degree maybe less than 6 months ago.

In the end, the DDS is the ring to rule all rings...

mlle said:
Hmmm, I didn't know that. If it's true then it must suck to go through all the hassles of med school and not be recognized outside the country.