weird situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbstrauss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the MCAT in late August (24) this year after studying literally all day every day all summer. I left the exam feeling like crap about my performance after running out of time on PS and struggling with VR. I ended up with a 36S though SOMEHOW, but unfortunately didn't find that out until I had already retaken the exam (big mistake). My rationale for retaking it was that I absolutely could not stomach ruining another summer if my score wasn't in the ballpark of my practice exams. Also, I had a somewhat traumatic experience the first time with test administrators yelling at me for bringing too big of a backpack and for trying to bring earplugs in so I was sort of riled up from the get-go. And I had to guess on almost two PS passages because it was so difficult. So I figured I'd retake to try and prove what I could really do. If I waited to see my score, no more tests would be available in 2010, so I was forced to take it blind but felt so confident in my failure that I went ahead and retook it. My goal all along had been a 35, which I had exceeded without knowing it.
I just got my score back and it went down considerably: 31S. All my subscores were still at or above 10s so at least its somewhat well spread out but I feel like I ruined my chances at some of the more competitive schools I was looking at (though I still have a 3.96 GPA at UMich to fall back on).
The weird thing is I felt so much better about the second exam, but I guess it had a much stricter curve. What do people think about this? Obviously I shouldn't have retaken but the nature of the test is such that you can feel so unsure/broken at the end of the exam that there is no way of really knowing how you did and the more you think about it, the worse it becomes in your head. And when you think it went really well, it throws a curveball at you. How consequential will such a drop be given that both exams occurred over a course of 7 days. I can definitely explain myself and the situation in my interviews, I am just shocked frankly that, statistically, there could be that much change in 1 week. I just wish I could reverse my two score dates. I'm not saying a 31 is a terrible score, but I would have bet a million dollars that the two scores would have been reversed and I essentially retook to get that elusive 35 which I had already achieved.
In summary, the MCAT is such a poor indicator of ANYTHING. It tests less than 1% of what you study and memorize over the course of months and it is obviously statistically all over the place. Also, the lessons to take away from this are never to retake if you are over a 30 and especially don't retake BLIND. Perhaps take your first MCAT earlier in the summer so you don't run into the time crunch situation that forced my hand. Sry for the long thread...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Christ, your wall of text makes me doubt your S.

In any case, I don't think dropping from a 35 to a 31 is going to kill your chances. Both are still very good scores.

Let this be a lesson to everyone on the forum here. Never reschedule another MCAT on a date before you get your scores back. Don't do it. You are always going to be nervous and a little worked up when you take the test. That is part of the testing process. I believe the official Kaplan advice is, "unless you become physically ill or do not finish large parts of the test, you should not cancel your scores". I think this advice should also apply to immediate test retakes. The medical school admissions committee is just going to look at the test dates and ask, "what were you thinking?". This exam is scaled and your performance should be on par with your preparation. Three weeks of studying between tests isn't going to do you one bit of good.

@bbstrauss I don't want to come off mean here, but I do want to make it clear that this was a bad decision that should generally not be repeated. That said, a 3.96 and a 31/36 MCAT score will get you where you want to go, so no worries.

No, that's totally cool. That was most of the reason I posted: to help others not make the same knee-jerk mistake I did. Ultimately, a 5 point drop isn't going to keep me from being a doctor, so I need to keep things in perspective. I just wanted some feedback and to share my situation in case anyone else went through something similar. Thanks guys

You should've waited, during your practice exams did you always feel good about your scores at the end? because I don't, I always feel about the same after the test ( IE. feeling like it was difficult and I did bad) but my practice scores always turned out okay, I haven't gotten my scores back yet but I hope my bad feeling after the test was just the normal feeling I get after taking tests.

Hope you get into the school that you wanted to get into, your stats are very nice.