Weirdest/most uncomfortable interview question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look, we're not going to convince each other of the relative merits of our points. But here's something that I think you can agree with:

if you feel the interviewer crossed a line, inform the Dean of Admissions. You're NOT going to get rejected for it. What the dean will do is gfo to the interviewer and say "You know that question you ask about "why not nursing? Don't ask it anymore."

In the past 10+ years of interviewing, I've had to put exactly three questions on the naughty list.

I have a very thick skin about it. And it's not n=1, as you can see other people here have shared my experience. I merely brought up the issue because you said this was a reasonable question...and the way it's delivered is not. (not meaning delivered by you asking when it has a sensible context).

I actually think it's pretty disheartening that someone on an adcom when faced w the response (endorsed by several others here) that this question is regularly being posed due to bias would tell me I need a thicker skin. What actually needs to happen is that the interviewers need to be more self aware. I brought up comments by patients/staff not because i'm concerned w them or cant handle them, but because it gave context as to why so many of us have discussed this so much even after admission to med school. Frankly, coming from a patient, I wouldn't even flinch--but I tolerate a lot of things from patients that I shouldn't have to experience through my mentors/evaluators/instructors, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to hold them to a higher standard.
[/quote]

so we can receive a response like the one you offered, where you belittled my experience as n=1 in spite of evidence to the contrary? watching a member of an adcom address this issue the way you have only reinforces young applicants' concern that complaining would not be fruitful & might have the potential to hurt them...lord knows the best way to reassure us the complaint would be taken seriously is to explain the minority of instances in which the question is sensible & call this an agree-to-disagree issue, because it's not something you've seen done. This is subtle but common sexism/racism, & the onus to fix it does not rest primarily with those it's affecting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm NOT getting into a flame war with you, but suggest looking up the concept of solipsism. SDN is hardly a good sample pool.

End of discussion.

so we can receive a response like the one you offered, where you belittled my experience as n=1 in spite of evidence to the contrary? watching a member of an adcom address this issue the way you have only reinforces young applicants' concern that complaining would not be fruitful & might have the potential to hurt them...lord knows the best way to reassure us the complaint would be taken seriously is to explain the minority of instances in which the question is sensible & call this an agree-to-disagree issue, because it's not something you've seen done. This is subtle but common sexism/racism, & the onus to fix it does not rest primarily with those it's affecting.[/quote]

I'm NOT getting into a flame war with you, but suggest looking up the concept of solipsism. SDN is hardly a good sample pool.

End of discussion.

so we can receive a response like the one you offered, where you belittled my experience as n=1 in spite of evidence to the contrary? watching a member of an adcom address this issue the way you have only reinforces young applicants' concern that complaining would not be fruitful & might have the potential to hurt them...lord knows the best way to reassure us the complaint would be taken seriously is to explain the minority of instances in which the question is sensible & call this an agree-to-disagree issue, because it's not something you've seen done. This is subtle but common sexism/racism, & the onus to fix it does not rest primarily with those it's affecting.
[/quote]

I'm familiar with the term, and think it wonderfully describes the stance you took that this is no big deal, because you haven't seen it to be.

I also can't imagine any of the other adcom members leaving such a snide response. Everything I wrote was thought out & intended to explain a problem you have trouble identifying with, & how your actions/words might feel incongruous from our side. Disagreeing is not in and of itself rude, & neither is pointing out how I think you've been less than receptive to recognizing a real problem. Yet you're nearly sinking to name calling ...albeit with flashy vocabulary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
... back on topic?

I was interviewing at an OOS school when my interviewer asked me "So did you interview at your state school yet?" (Clearly he asked this to be a very loaded question to see how I'd respond)

I never broke eye contact with him or changed facial expression. I just said "Yep."

There was a pause of about 5 seconds, then he moved on to the next question.

Result: Accepted.

... back on topic?

I was interviewing at an OOS school when my interviewer asked me "So did you interview at your state school yet?" (Clearly he asked this to be a very loaded question to see how I'd respond)

I never broke eye contact with him or changed facial expression. I just said "Yep."

There was a pause of about 5 seconds, then he moved on to the next question.

Result: Accepted.
I still don't see why this is a "loaded question" or a big deal. I've had quite a few of my interviewers explain to me that such questions are less about "scoping out the competition" as they are about understanding the types of schools you're interested in and whether you've done your research in picking schools to apply.

Interviewer: What do you expect of the faculty?
Me: Sorry, what do you mean?
Interviewer: As a student at (school), what will you expect of the faculty?
Me: I'm sorry, I don't understand what...like, in general?
Interviewer: Yes. What do you expect of the faculty?
Me: Uhhh... (some bull**** about a support network for students.)

What the **** kind of a question is that?

"You have two small children...have you thought about the stresses med school will place on your family?"

I actually had an answer for this because I've talked about it a lot with my family but it was the lead question and threw me off a bit. After I answered, the interviewer told me they were my age with family when they went into school and it was totally doable as long as I knew it would be hard. It was like hanging out with an old friend after that...but that first 15 seconds was awkward :)

Reactions: 1 user

End of discussion.

The interviewer might very well have been testing the thickness of your skin with this question. You will face a lot of subtle sexism as a female physician, and how you handle such a question will show how prepared you are to handle yourself in such an environment. You will probably be called a nurse by accident a thousand times before you're done with residency, have people question your ability to be both a mother and physician, ask why you chose medical school over nursing, etc. The interviewer might not have been implying weakness, but rather testing strength, as it still takes a very strong woman who can put up with a lot of unnecessary BS to handle being a physician today. It'll probably be another 50 years or more before sexism is mostly eliminated from medicine. For your own sanity, you're going to have to just forgive a lot of things as ignorance and move on rather than letting angry thoughts simmer.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm familiar with the term, and think it wonderfully describes the stance you took that this is no big deal, because you haven't seen it to be.

I also can't imagine any of the other adcom members leaving such a snide response. Everything I wrote was thought out & intended to explain a problem you have trouble identifying with, & how your actions/words might feel incongruous from our side. Disagreeing is not in and of itself rude, & neither is pointing out how I think you've been less than receptive to recognizing a real problem. Yet you're nearly sinking to name calling ...albeit with flashy vocabulary.

Please show some respect.

Goro clearly stated that if you feel something inappropriate was asked, it should be brought to the attention of the dean - and it won't hurt you. I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong about the nurse question, but you have no cause or justification to speak like that to somebody who does this community a tremendous service with his input and contributions.

Solipsistic sounds like the perfect word to me to describe your attitude in this discussion.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is another great question. What the guy was looking for was to see if you are just going to sit passively and have the faculty spoon feed you? If they have an open door policy, would you utilize it? Or are you going to engage them? Actively seek them out in time of need? Would you use them as advisers? As mentors? See if any of them who are PIs might have interesting research? I wouldn't ding too much for bombing a question like this, but it shows that you might not have been thinking about the role of medical school faculty in your clinical development. But I am curious, were you accepted at this school?

Interviewer: What do you expect of the faculty?
Me: Sorry, what do you mean?
Interviewer: As a student at (school), what will you expect of the faculty?
Me: I'm sorry, I don't understand what...like, in general?
Interviewer: Yes. What do you expect of the faculty?
Me: Uhhh... (some bullcrap about a support network for students.)

What the **** kind of a question is that?

For me, this kinda crosses a line. A better thing to ask would be, especially if the candidate is moving from afar, is "what kind of support network you you expect to have"?

"You have two small children...have you thought about the stresses med school will place on your family?"

Reactions: 1 users
Kinda unrelated but Mr. Tp13 is a chemE and was asked to solve a math problem during an interview. He got it wrong. Still got the job tho.

This is another great question. What the guy was looking for was to see if you are just going to sit passively and have the faculty spoon feed you? If they have an open door policy, would you utilize it? Or are you going to engage them? Actively seek them out in time of need? Would you use them as advisers? As mentors? See if any of them who are PIs might have interesting research? I wouldn't ding too much for bombing a question like this, but it shows that you might not have been thinking about the role of medical school faculty in your clinical development. But I am curious, were you accepted at this school?

I figured out what they were getting at after I left the interview, but it's a ridiculous question. Open door policies, mentorship, research opportunities, etc. should be standard requirements, regardless of what I expect.

I was waitlisted at this school. I'm not sure how my interview blunder played into their decision, but I know they weren't impressed with my non-science background. During the interview, it was "strongly recommended" that I take more upper level bio classes like anatomy and physiology, which I didn't bother to do.

I figured out what they were getting at after I left the interview, but it's a ridiculous question. Open door policies, mentorship, research opportunities, etc. should be standard requirements, regardless of what I expect.

I was waitlisted at this school. I'm not sure how my interview blunder played into their decision, but I know they weren't impressed with my non-science background. During the interview, it was "strongly recommended" that I take more upper level bio classes like anatomy and physiology, which I didn't bother to do.
It was suggested to me by one interviewer that my science related engineering major was not science related enough for the school, despite having taken fairly in depth physiological and immunological grad courses during undergrad. Can't win them all, huh?

Interviewer: With your MCAT score of XX and all your research experience, why do you wanna come to our school?
Me: :wtf:

Ended up giving what I thought was a pretty good answer about how the school is very close to my family, but at first I was like :uhno:

"Do you want to have children?"

I mean....I get why its asked because being in medical school and even being a doctor is hard on the person's family but really?

I hope they ask male candidates the same question.

I mean....I get why its asked because being in medical school and even being a doctor is hard on the person's family but really?

I actually think this is a really personal and unprofessional question... I know what they are getting at, and it's frankly not their business.

I was asked about my parents' exact current income. As an independent working professional, this seemed completely irrelevant. I told the interviewer I didn't know, which is true as my parents and I have had no financial relationships for ~10 years, and the interviewer seemed very skeptical.

This is one of the most common questions asked. Interview Feedback is loaded with these.

Interviewer: With your MCAT score of XX and all your research experience, why do you wanna come to our school?
Me: :wtf:

Ended up giving what I thought was a pretty good answer about how the school is very close to my family, but at first I was like :uhno:

I had one really tough interview with questions that I thought were designed to trip me up (or see how I did with difficult questions that would catch most off guard).

Interviewer: So you're going into medicine for the money like most pre-meds, right?
Me: No. (Then started into some banter about how medicine is an altruistic field, etc.)
Interviewer: So you'd do it for free then?
Me: No. (Then managed to save myself from this landmine of exchange by going on about how I had worked at a small mental hospital that had been originally started and owned by physicians who knew medicine but had zero business sense and they went bankrupt and sold to a large for-profit medical network. Talked about the pitfalls of for-profit medicine that I had witnessed but at the end of the day, if you want to stay open you have to more than break even and the goal is to help as many patients as we can while keeping it affordable).

Same interview! This was the first question he asked as we sat down and started chatting and he was going through my file.

Interviewer: So I see you came and studied a quarter at our institution for undergrad and did some research. So you basically came here and took a research opportunity away from a full-time student that was here for all four years?
Me: No. (I did a quarter there instead of studying abroad and talked about how I had been offered an independent project in the lab but chose instead to volunteer and assist on grad student projects to get exposure to the field but not start something I couldn't finish. I did a thesis at my home institution and that was my main research experience).

Same interview (seeing the trend here, right?)

Interviewer: So how do you think this interview is going?
Me: I think it's going pretty well.
Interviewer: So you're a bit cocky, are you?
Me: No! I think we are having a good exchange of ideas (cue more meaningless banter about how its a chance for them to learn about me, me to learn about them in a mutually beneficial exchange).

All in all, that was my toughest interview besides the MMI. I think the interviewer was purposely trying to put me in uncomfortable corners and seeing how I reacted, which I get is important skill for physicians working under pressure, but it was a tough interview. He was a pleasant guy and most of the interview was pretty standard, but every once in awhile he'd sprinkle in of these gems and watch me sink or swim. On the way out the interviewer talked about his research and stated that if I came there he could find a place for me in his lab. So I think that was his way for giving me the hint that it was purposely a hard interview, but I managed ok. Decision outcome: accepted and attending! So I suppose all the hoop jumping and strange interview questions were worth it.

Reactions: 11 users
Who do you think you are? Please show some respect.

I find Goro's dismissive responses to be offensive and disrespectful. I don't need your permission to respond to that. Everything I said was grounded in a logical point and commentary on the ethics of what he was communicating. I never made a personal attack. I never said anything expressly to be mean. Disagreeing with someone else is not inherently disrespectful. As far as who I am -- evidently I'm someone who has an opinion that resonates with at least some other people given the "likes" and private messages I've received, and I'm someone who stood up to what I perceived to be inappropriate responses that affect a lot of people.

Goro clearly stated that if you feel something inappropriate was asked, it should be brought to the attention of the dean - and it won't hurt you.
His responses speak louder than those words. After you hear a member of an adcom dismiss a concern as n=1 when it's something that resonates with multiple people, how comfortable are you that a dean is going to respond more favorably? When you hold 1 interview invitation, are you going to feel comfortable taking Goro's word and approaching the dean? How about when you now it's a question that sometimes has an appropriate context? Easier said than done.

you have no cause or justification to speak like that to somebody who does this community a tremendous service with his input and contributions.

Doing 1000 good things doesn't give him privilege to take a sexist or dismissive stance on something else and remain unchallenged. I find his response really insulting to a large number of applicants who have experienced a very real problem.

Solipsistic sounds like the perfect word to me to describe your attitude in this discussion.
1) If I were so self centered, I would not care about the fact that numerous other people here had been experiencing this problem that I am well past on my career path. This is not something currently impacting me. The fact that I am infuriated that a member of an adcom would tell pre-meds that this is something that's "ok" then turns around and tell them to report it to a dean after making it clear that he doesn't think it's a problem is not solipsistic in the least -- it has little to do with my own situation and a lot to do with the experience of many pre-meds/female applicants whose experience he belittled. And I am fully able to see where Goro is coming from. I am able to step outside of my experience to realize he doesn't think this is happening in his community (I would also venture to ask how he knows this -- do all of the interviewers come out and tell you everything they asked applicants?) and thus that it is not a big problem. I just don't agree with the latter conclusion he seems to have made. In contrast, Goro essentially stated that this was not a problem, b/c he doesn't see it happening at his school. I feel this term is more appropriately applied to the way in which he presented himself.

2) Also, it was wholly unnecessary and not constructive to tell me to go look up solipsistic. Telling me I'm solipsistic has a distinctly different tone (opinionated but perfectly mature) than snidely telling me to go look it up as if I am uneducated. That was unnecessary and I would say somewhat inappropriate for someone on an adcom. Please tie this into the reason why my respect for Goro is much lower than yours . . . when someone disagrees with you but thoroughly presents the reasoning behind the disagreement, it does not garner more respect in my book to use this tone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
tumblr_lq0rwx0L0M1qbnd38o1_500.gif

"I have cried twice in my life. Once when I was seven and I was hit by a school bus. And then again when I heard that Li’l Sebastian had passed." - Ron Swanson
Ron Swanson is my spirit animal.
1/200 med school questions answered

I find Goro's dismissive responses to be offensive and disrespectful. I don't need your permission to respond to that. Everything I said was grounded in a logical point and commentary on the ethics of what he was communicating. I never made a personal attack. I never said anything expressly to be mean. Disagreeing with someone else is not inherently disrespectful. As far as who I am -- evidently I'm someone who has an opinion that resonates with at least some other people given the "likes" and private messages I've received, and I'm someone who stood up to what I perceived to be inappropriate responses that affect a lot of people...etc etc
Seriously, woman to woman and minority to minority just pipe down. Do you always get this upset about things that really shouldn't be getting such massive reaction out of you? So you're female, a minority, and someone asks why you don't just become a nurse. Big deal. You're going to be dealing with much more if you do in fact become a doctor (if you're not already) or at some point in your life, so learn to let it go and move on with it. Yes, it may be insensitive but if I got this upset about things that really are kind of offhanded remarks I would be dead from a heart attack ten years ago.
Edit: I feel like some additional explanation is needed...
I'm coming from several years in the EMS/firefighting industry and have had my fair share of comments: "You're a woman, you shouldn't be a doctor (as they all knew my plans as I was starting to take the needed classes) you really would be better off being a nurse or spending your time at home with the kids" "you better learn to be a real good cook" "I wouldn't trust a woman to have my back in a burning building... No offense" and "ohhh look at this girl here, thinking she can drag hoses and throw ladders... Watch out, don't break a nail"

Now, when someone says those things to me I've found it best to assess it like this:
A.) this person is saying some pretty stupid things, but maybe they're meaning it in a different way. Could they possibly be joking, or could it be the result of whatever era they were brought up in?
Or
B.) no, this person is definitely being malicious.
If it's "A" I let it go, if it's "B" then I go to my options
Either I
C.) say something right away to the person or to a supervisor, or:
D.) completely let it roll off me and be the best that I can be. Then I try to never let it suck up my emotions from that moment on.

"D" usually shows them my strength and gained the respect of my colleagues and peers. In an atmosphere where you need to be more professional (Like medicine) there are different expectations so I may go for the "C" option more often but I do feel that anger (especially that gnawing, prolonging kind) is a weakness. If it upsets you then speak up then and there, if not then don't ever brood on it again. I did this and left my experience being respected and feeling empowered by the positive response I received from taking this course of action and the leadership opportunities it gave me.

Now, there is a line that I will not accept being crossed by anyone at any time and that is: "you're a woman, you shouldn't be at/in this job/school/career and you're not going to be regardless of how good you are" followed by an attempt to prohibit me.

Then, I will take my stand and all hell is going to break loose but until then just be careful what you choose to let upset you and suck up your time and emotions. I mean, really, is SDN worth it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I find Goro's dismissive responses to be offensive and disrespectful. I don't need your permission to respond to that. Everything I said was grounded in a logical point and commentary on the ethics of what he was communicating. I never made a personal attack. I never said anything expressly to be mean. Disagreeing with someone else is not inherently disrespectful. As far as who I am -- evidently I'm someone who has an opinion that resonates with at least some other people given the "likes" and private messages I've received, and I'm someone who stood up to what I perceived to be inappropriate responses that affect a lot of people.

His responses speak louder than those words. After you hear a member of an adcom dismiss a concern as n=1 when it's something that resonates with multiple people, how comfortable are you that a dean is going to respond more favorably? When you hold 1 interview invitation, are you going to feel comfortable taking Goro's word and approaching the dean? How about when you now it's a question that sometimes has an appropriate context? Easier said than done.

Doing 1000 good things doesn't give him privilege to take a sexist or dismissive stance on something else and remain unchallenged. I find his response really insulting to a large number of applicants who have experienced a very real problem.

1) If I were so self centered, I would not care about the fact that numerous other people here had been experiencing this problem that I am well past on my career path. This is not something currently impacting me. The fact that I am infuriated that a member of an adcom would tell pre-meds that this is something that's "ok" then turns around and tell them to report it to a dean after making it clear that he doesn't think it's a problem is not solipsistic in the least -- it has little to do with my own situation and a lot to do with the experience of many pre-meds/female applicants whose experience he belittled. And I am fully able to see where Goro is coming from. I am able to step outside of my experience to realize he doesn't think this is happening in his community (I would also venture to ask how he knows this -- do all of the interviewers come out and tell you everything they asked applicants?) and thus that it is not a big problem. I just don't agree with the latter conclusion he seems to have made. In contrast, Goro essentially stated that this was not a problem, b/c he doesn't see it happening at his school. I feel this term is more appropriately applied to the way in which he presented himself.

2) Also, it was wholly unnecessary and not constructive to tell me to go look up solipsistic. Telling me I'm solipsistic has a distinctly different tone (opinionated but perfectly mature) than snidely telling me to go look it up as if I am uneducated. That was unnecessary and I would say somewhat inappropriate for someone on an adcom. Please tie this into the reason why my respect for Goro is much lower than yours . . . when someone disagrees with you but thoroughly presents the reasoning behind the disagreement, it does not garner more respect in my book to use this tone.
This isn't about permission. You have the right to say whatever you want to say, and I have the right to judge you for it. In this case, you're being entitled, selfish, and yes, solipsistic, and negatively impacting the community on the balance (e.g. I find it hilarious that you see fit to dictate to an AdCom member what is or isn't acceptable/appropriate for them to think about medical admissions... Seriously, just wow)

His initial post simply stated that he believed the question to be innocuous and that he did not believe that it had the nefarious intent that you are attributing to it. He also suggested that if it really concerned you, to talk it over with the dean of admissions. Exactly how have his posts been anything other than polite and on point? It seems to me that you are blowing things out of proportion and looking for problems when there are none to be found. You seemed very closed minded. I hope you are more open minded with your future patients and are tolerant to opposing views.

The questions "Why doctor? Why not PA / therapist / nurse / dentist / EMT?" IS perfectly innocuous. Asking "Why doctor? Why not PA / therapist / nurse / dentist / EMT?" to male candidates and "Why doctor? Why not just be a nurse?" to female candidates is blatant sexism.

The issue is important and needs to be addressed. It doesn't need to be addressed with hostility, but the fact that 'everybody does it' and that female doctors 'need to get used to it' doesn't make it any more acceptable. Forty years ago, black would-be doctors faced the same types of discrimination, with the similar concern that many patients would not be comfortable with a black doctor. Even if there is/was some truth to the patient-acceptance sentiment, that doesn't excuse the racism or sexism from an interviewer.

If/when a patient expresses concern or a preference for a male doctor, my reply would be (with a smile) something along the lines of "That's too bad, because I'm a very good doctor. But I can find you one with a winkie if that's important to you."

Reactions: 12 users
This is one of the most common questions asked. Interview Feedback is loaded with these.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to say that I'm surprised that the first part of the interviewer's question is in any way typical. It seems to frame his/her school in a negative light as though the interviewee is "too good for it".

Obviously, though, the second part of the question (i.e., 'why our school?') is to be expected.

I guess some of us just have inferiority complexes. Since I'm at a DO school, I'll often ask a candidate whose stats are avg for an MD school "Why come here?"

Consider also, that if you are a student at, say, Loyola, whose avg GPA is 3.7 and MCAT score is 33, and you're going to interview a candidate who has a 3.9, 37 (avg for U Chicago), wouldn't it be natural to wonder "why aren't going to U Chicago instead"?

Thanks for your thoughts. I have to say that I'm surprised that the first part of the interviewer's question is in any way typical. It seems to frame his/her school in a negative light as though the interviewee is "too good for it".

Obviously, though, the second part of the question (i.e., 'why our school?') is to be expected.

Nothing uncomfortable but a few of the more left field questions were "What do you say to a African woman when you run out of medicine and she's going to die without it", "What percentage of your free time do you read, work out, watch movies" (he wanted a specific answer such as I spend 10% of my day reading, 20% staring at the wall), "What will your tombstone say". I was asked "why don't you just be a teacher" and I thought the interviewer was asking specifically about my sub teaching time so I rambled about why I didn't like the education system and I didn't realize I was being asked why medicine instead of another career. Oops :confused:

I guess some of us just have inferiority complexes. Since I'm at a DO school, I'll often ask a candidate whose stats are avg for an MD school "Why come here?"

Consider also, that if you are a student at, say, Loyola, whose avg GPA is 3.7 and MCAT score is 33, and you're going to interview a candidate who has a 3.9, 37 (avg for U Chicago), wouldn't it be natural to wonder "why aren't going to U Chicago instead"?

I remain surprised about this, but your explanation has clarified what you mean. Thanks again. :)

1) Where do you see yourself in 15 years? -- Lame question. I gave a lame answer, which probably wasn't a mature thing to do but I honestly didn't think it was a serious question. 4 years med school + 3-7 years residency. Obviously I will be an attending.
2) If you were doing this interview what are three questions you would ask and why? -- Not a bad question per-se but a little too dense. It took me 5 minutes for each of the three questions for a total of 15 minutes on one question.
3) What is Tai Chi? - haha, what?

2) If you were doing this interview what are three questions you would ask and why? -- Not a bad question per-se but a little too dense. It took me 5 minutes for each of the three questions for a total of 15 minutes on one question.

That's a really interesting question that could probably tell a lot about you by how you answered. I would totally use this one if I was an adcom.

That's a really interesting question that could probably tell a lot about you by how you answered. I would totally use this one if I was an adcom.

I'm not against it, but I think asking for 3 questions and why was too much. Maybe 1 question and why or 2 max. But you are right it is revealing.

yeah, I can see how it would take a huge chunk of your interview time. Very interesting, though. People would hate me if I got to interview. I'd have a lot of random questions like that. You could, in that one question, find out how well someone thinks on their feet, what's really important to them/priorities, and probably their own strengths, since any interviewee who is thinking will be wondering if that interviewer is going to turn the questions they gave back on them.

This is 100% off limits and should not be asked in med school or residency interviews.

I had one really tough interview with questions that I thought were designed to trip me up (or see how I did with difficult questions that would catch most off guard).

Interviewer: So you're going into medicine for the money like most pre-meds, right?
Me: No. (Then started into some banter about how medicine is an altruistic field, etc.)
Me: No. (Then managed to save myself from this landmine of exchange by going on about how I had worked at a small mental hospital that had been originally started and owned by physicians who knew medicine but had zero business sense and they went bankrupt and sold to a large for-profit medical network. Talked about the pitfalls of for-profit medicine that I had witnessed but at the end of the day, if you want to stay open you have to more than break even and the goal is to help as many patients as we can while keeping it affordable).

Same interview! This was the first question he asked as we sat down and started chatting and he was going through my file.

Interviewer: So I see you came and studied a quarter at our institution for undergrad and did some research. So you basically came here and took a research opportunity away from a full-time student that was here for all four years?
Me: No. (I did a quarter there instead of studying abroad and talked about how I had been offered an independent project in the lab but chose instead to volunteer and assist on grad student projects to get exposure to the field but not start something I couldn't finish. I did a thesis at my home institution and that was my main research experience).

Me: No! I think we are having a good exchange of ideas (cue more meaningless banter about how its a chance for them to learn about me, me to learn about them in a mutually beneficial exchange).

All in all, that was my toughest interview besides the MMI. I think the interviewer was purposely trying to put me in uncomfortable corners and seeing how I reacted, which I get is important skill for physicians working under pressure, but it was a tough interview. He was a pleasant guy and most of the interview was pretty standard, but every once in awhile he'd sprinkle in of these gems and watch me sink or swim. On the way out the interviewer talked about his research and stated that if I came there he could find a place for me in his lab. So I think that was his way for giving me the hint that it was purposely a hard interview, but I managed ok. Decision outcome: accepted and attending! So I suppose all the hoop jumping and strange interview questions were worth it.

That's insane. You're a interview CHAMP!!!

I had an interviewer ask what other schools I had been accepted to. Then he asked how I would go about making my final school decision. Honestly, his school was my back-up state school, and I considered cancelling the interview but attending thinking that maybe I would see something there that I liked (I didn't).

I answered by saying that I would look at residency match lists and Step1 averages... Which is a bad answer, but I withdrew very soon after anyway :-D

Wow you can really think on your feet. This scares me a little because I'm sure I would have tripped up just from his tone and the pressure of the interview? Since you already got accepted do you have anymore questions to share? I feel you've had the best post in this thread.

This one's a no-no.

-Where I've been rejected from so far

Might be OK. I ask at times "You're numbers are really good, so you must have been accepted elsewhere?" because it's a lead-in to a hypothetical.

-How many interviews invites I've received

Totally unacceptable! SDNers' should complain to the Admissions dean about stuff that crosses a line like this. It's the only way the process can be improved by getting rid of bad interviewers.

-Where I've applied (he asked for a number, and then asked me to name the schools)

Totally unacceptable, even with a closed folder!

-What my MCAT was (it was supposed to be a blind interview)

Very fair to ask. There ARE male nurses, you know. Variations of this can be "Why become a PhD? An EMT? PA?"

-Why don't I just become a nurse? (I have been asked this at every interview. Most annoying question. I think it has sexist overtones.)

This is a perfectly good and fair question. It shows how much intellectual curiosity you have and definitely shows if you're literate, depending upon the answer. What you read can give us insight into your character.

Many of us like to ask questions to see how good you are at thinking.
Sir, is there any questions that we can refuse to answer, but without making ourselves look bad by not answering them?

Last edited:
Sir, is there any questions that we can refuse to answer, but without making ourselves look bad by not answering tehm?

I managed to squeak by not answering "what do you think your biggest challenges as a Physician will be"

Result: accepted...

I managed to squeak by not answering "what do you think your biggest challenges as a Physician will be"

Result: accepted...

I said it would be time away from my family and I was told I was wrong by my interviewer. Result: Waitlisted. :/

What a jerk.

"No. Telling a patient that you can't help them and that they're going to die is what's going to be the hardest part." <-- okay. I'm sure orthos do that all day. >.>

"No. Telling a patient that you can't help them and that they're going to die is what's going to be the hardest part." <-- okay. I'm sure orthos do that all day. >.>

"Rah rah rah why are you so sure you want to enter a lucrative specialty rah rah rah primary care you should go into that it's the biggest problem today rah rah rah specialist comments at interview no good rah rah rah how can you say you want to help people when you don't want to do primary care blah blah only one way to skin a cat"

"Rah rah rah why are you so sure you want to enter a lucrative specialty rah rah rah primary care you should go into that it's the biggest problem today rah rah rah specialist comments at interview no good rah rah rah how can you say you want to help people when you don't want to do primary care blah blah only one way to skin a cat"

LOL. We never discussed specialty, but my point in my last post is that the interviewer's point wasn't even valid for all specialties. Which I did tell her. I also told her she was rude. She didn't like that.

LOL. We never discussed specialty, but my point in my last post is that the interviewer's point wasn't even valid for all specialties. Which I did tell her. I also told her she was rude. She didn't like that.

I am surprised you told them you thought they were rude. I mean, if I don't like something in an interview, it's a punch you roll with - you're a guest there, need to act like it - even when they aren't being the most gracious of hosts. I would have rejected you if you told me you thought I was rude, or at the very least would not have advocated for your acceptance - that's just a line you don't cross man

I am surprised you told them you thought they were rude. I mean, if I don't like something in an interview, it's a punch you roll with - you're a guest there, need to act like it - even when they aren't being the most gracious of hosts. I would have rejected you if you told me you thought I was rude, or at the very least would not have advocated for your acceptance - that's just a line you don't cross man

That's too bad for me, then. Be rude to me and I'm going to tell you. I wouldn't change a thing about that interview.