Welch Allyn PocketScope vs. PocketScope Jr. vs. Riester Ri-mini vs. other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghostman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is not a thread asking if I should get one. I know I'm best off getting one used from a 3rd/4th year. Assuming that I am buying a pocket-sized one, does anyone have feedback on any scopes? Can anyone give me insight on why they chose one over another and what features they lack/have? What is sufficient and what is junk?

PocketScope
PocketScope Jr.
Riester Ri-mini
Pro-Physician Pocket
other...

I hear the PocketScope Jr. is not supported by Welch Allyn in the US for some reason. I also hear it doesn't have a knob to control light brightness. Can someone with one of these indicate whether brightness can be controlled? That info is oddly hard to find.

Members don't see this ad.

What is this I don't even

Had to google 'Riester Ri-mini'

Dude. I never bought an oto/ophtho scope set. When we did practice stuff as a 2nd year w/ SPs, there was always a set on the wall.

In your 3rd and 4th year, the hospital will have them if you really need one. That being said, inpatient medicine is one of the few places where I had to really search to find an ophtho scope. Unless you're on an ophtho rotation, the amount of time you will be looking in eyes is probably very low.

I used an otoscope more on my outpatient peds rotation (2 weeks) than the rest of my 3rd year combined (~4 months), and it was on the wall.

My school tried to tell us we needed to buy an otoscope, ophthoscope, and a tuning fork. All BS. I didn't shell out for the scopes, and bought a tuning fork that's still sitting in its plastic in my closet. All I got was a good stetho, a reflex hammer (and even that I probably don't use nearly as much as I should), and a pen light, and I haven't had issues in 3rd year.

Understood. All the threads I read say it's not really necessary, we'll only use it a few times and it might be good only if you want to practice at home or use it on family. All good points.

But some folks are bound to buy one. Welch Allyn only pitches their most expensive PanOptic one and doesn't provide any info on these, more practical pocket versions. Assuming one has already decided to buy one, I'm trying to gather some info and compare them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on the miniscopes, never used one myself.

But I'm surprised your school hasn't provided some of this stuff for you. My school buys this stuff in bulk, and gives it to us as part of our matriculation package. It's paid for with a $700.00 "equipment fee" that we're charged in first year.

We got the following diagnostic set: http://www.allheart.com/Product.asp...=amazon&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=cseamazon (yes it has the pan-optic included)

A Littmann Cardiology II steth

A nice welch allyn sphygmomanometer with 4 different sized cuffs

Tuning forks, snellen eye charts, pen lights, reflex hammers etc.

The year above me got Littmann Electronic Stethoscopes and the school sent them to all the official rotation sites so students and preceptors could listen together to pathologic sounds, it didn't work like they thought it would so we're back to normal stethoscopes.

Having the school purchase 100+ kits every year gets the price way down for us. And we all get really nice equipment that we should be able to take into practice with us.

Your school didn't provide you with any equipment?

I bought this, as well as a good number of my classmates who didn't want to shell out for W-A: http://www.amazon.com/ADC-Otoscope-Ophthalmoscope-Set-2-5V/dp/B000QV5H0Q

It's not pocket-sized, but I'm sure you could find another carrying case for it that would fit in your pocket. When I was looking, I couldn't find a pocket-sized one with decent reviews. The otoscope works with Welsch-Allyn tips. It's worked for me so far...I still can't see anything in most people's eyes but then again my classmates who paid 5x as much for a Welsch-Allyn can't see anything either.

If your school requires you to buy one, I'd suggest this one. Or share a friend's.

I have the WA Pocketscope Jr. set. I've never really used the opthalmoscope, but find it nice to have easy access to the otoscope. Sure, there's normally a set someplace, but it's nice not to have to search. Also I don't have to mess with dragging that stupid coiled cord across some poor patient's face. As far as usefullness, it works well enough. The belt clip is rather dinky and falling a part on mine. The biggest issue I have is that often the switch will work it's way on and drain the battery, but the batteries are just standard double A batteries, so you can always carry an extra one in the bag.

Of course I also refill my speculums from the box on the wall when I need to.

Bottom line, if you absolutely have to buy one, might as well buy one set up in a configuration that you can actually use and carry with you, unlike those huge overpriced pan optics.

Bottom line, if you absolutely have to buy one, might as well buy one set up in a configuration that you can actually use and carry with you, unlike those huge overpriced pan optics.

They are huge, and they are over priced. They are also relatively hard to carry around (though I usually have the otoscope head on my handle, with the panoptic head in a coat pocket).

But I have to say, that the view you get between a standard opthalmoscope and a panoptic can't be compared (my school gave us both). The panoptic gives you an almost complete view, just like the images in your Physical Exam texts.

And with the upcoming iPhone bracket for imaging of the retina through the panoptic, it's looking like something that could be worth having down the road.