Welcome to the New MPH Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to our new MPH forum, dedicated to discussions about the Master of Public Health degree.

The moderators for this forum are DW and DrMom.

Thanks to everyone that suggested this forum! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea, Lee! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working on MPH as well... gotta start that darn thesis soon. Grrr :mad:

This is cool... sometimes I feel really removed from all the posters in the pre-allo forum that are still in college :p so it's nice to have a forum just for the MPH!

excellent forum! i'm getting my mph while doing med school... good to see this forum. anyone else doing it concurrently?

Originally posted by Daiphon
excellent forum! i'm getting my mph while doing med school... good to see this forum. anyone else doing it concurrently?

It's built into our dental program, so I'm doing it concurrently with dental school.

Like Gavin, I am also interested in doing dentistry and a masters in public health at the same time. However, as of now, from the four schools I have interviews with, only Temple will offer a combined degree program of this nature. However, BU has a post-doc program, where one can earn their masters of science in public health dentistry.

Does anyone know the difference between the MPH, and the MSc in dental public health? Cheers!

I'm an MS4. I had my MPH when I entered Med School. I served as the TA for the courses offered at my Med School. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to pm me.

- H

Thanks for this forum. I've been looking for a public health forum. I'm an OD who has just submitted an application to Rollins School of Public health hoping to specialize in International Health.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
I'm working on my MPH right now, so this is sweeeeet!

Yet another forum in which I'll be running into Gavin. Great ;)

I've just finished my MPH (concentration in health admin) and will be entering med school this fall. If anyone has questions about my experience or would like to hear my opinions about the degree, feel free to ask.

Will

BklynWill, i've got a question. since your concentration was health admin., do you think (or did your prof's give you the idea that) the MPH in a discipline like health policy/admin is less, equally, or more effective than pairing an MBA with an MD? what kind of reasons? since i'm applying to all sorts of programs (MBA, MPH, PhD) i was DYING for some kind of constructive comparison!!

any other info you can give about your experience (i.e., were your classes more science-related or more business/adm.-related, how long did it take to complete your degree, are you happy with it, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

SD

That's an excellent question and I understand your confusion. I don't know how much info I can give considering that I have no MBA/PhD experience. What I can tell you, however, is that an MPH with a concentration in health admin will probably not give you enough exposure to the business of medicine, especially if you are business oriented. This is because, although I'm sure the programs vary among schools, an MPH is a broad degree that often madates exposure to all aspects of PH (health behavior/ policy/ biostats/ epidemiology/ environmental health). Therefore you lose time to those core courses.
Many of my health admin professors at UAlbany School of Public Health were PhDs in other fields. Additionally, students pursuing an MBA at my school were permitted to cross register with our health admin courses. I am unsure of what you are specifically looking for, but if you are considering a rigorous health-business exposure, go with the MBA and cross register for health-admin courses. Of course you would be postponing med school for a year or more of med school and you could lose the "med school groove", so that might be the tougher option.
Many of my core courses were math or science-related (ie. anything with the prefix "bio" in it). The science courses are cake since they are often presented to students with no previous science exposure. Everything in health admin was business related (I even took Strategic Management, the apex of most business programs). It took me 2 full years to complete the degree, including 2 6-credit internships (1 in the summer and one in my last semester).
I am happy with my degree mostly because a large percentage of my class were already physicians and I knew I wouldn't have to eventually go back to school for it! Physicians are notoriously awful managers and I feel that I have an edge over other medical gradutes due to my understanding of health care organization and delivery. We can't risk losing more money when we're trying to pay off our huge debts.
Good luck with your search for more info and of course call schools for advice.

Will

thanks for all the help, Will. i will probably end up applying to more MD/MBA programs in light of what you said (while trying to cross-register in health policy courses, which is a great idea!). it seems that a lot of science-related classes in an MPH program (stuff with the prefix "bio") could potentially be boring, or, more likely, redundant with what i've already learned or will be learning (after getting a BS in Bio, then med school).

thanks again, and enjoy med school!

Hi Guys, I have been accepted for MPh program recently. I selected Epi But still I am wondering how epi is and how much I can earn after my masters degree.

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the MPH at UCLA and MPH at Boston University. I got into the community health sciences at ucla and the social and behavioral sciences concentration at BU. I found the staff and school very friendly and accessible at BU but I am also scared to turn down ucla because well of course ucla is ucla. Do you guys think it would matter after graduation where I graduated from? and is it better if i choose ucla over BU? please help!!

thank you!! :)

Please refrain from posting additional messages to this historic thread that started the MPH forum in 2003.

oh okay... im so confused on how to start a new thread to ask my question...could u tell me plz? :)

Hi there !
I finished med school a year ago and I plan to apply for the MPH program at the London school of hygiene and tropical health. Would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what kind of profile they favour? (- in terms of academics and work ex)
My scores from med school are all pretty good, Ive worked with two NGOs and with a company that provides health care for the terminally ill at home. I'd like to apply after making sure I've built my profile to best suit the course. Please let me know..

PS: sorry i couldnt start a new thread - doesn't seem to be working..