Welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the new combined residencies forum. I hope that this will be another useful resource. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, Dr. Mom (and oldbearprofessor, and whomever else was agitatin' for something like this)! ...an elegant solution to the "we need a Med/Peds - and Med/EM - and Med/FP, etc..." requests.

Daria

hey guys I'm starting school at nycom in the fall and have recently heard about and started considering a combined residency. I know i have alot of time but it never hurts to start thinking about where i will go from here...i work in an ER now as a technician and really enjoy it. I also like the idea of being able to supplement an emerging practice down the line with a couple shifts a week in an ER. I was wondering what you guys think are the pros and cons of the combined residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question. So if you do a combined residency and receive your board cert in both fields, what happens with your CME. Do you have to take twice as many credits or would some credits overlap and fulfill requirements for both certifications? I must admit I really know very little about CME, so if this is a dumb question......

I have a question. So if you do a combined residency and receive your board cert in both fields, what happens with your CME. Do you have to take twice as many credits or would some credits overlap and fulfill requirements for both certifications? I must admit I really know very little about CME, so if this is a dumb question......

You need CME credits to maintain state licensure and, if you want to be a member of the AOA (and maintain board certification through the AOA specialty board), you need AOA CME credits for that. CME requirements vary by states so check with your state boards for exact requirement

For board certification (or re-certification), you don't need CME credits. However, the process of getting re-certified will generate CME category 1 credits that can be used towards maintaining licensure. So if you are double-board certified (let's say IM and Pediatrics), neither boards require CME credits to recertify. So your CME requirements (for state) and if you are in the AOA, remain the same as if you were single boarded.