Wellbutrin and Seizures in Alcoholics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryerica22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering how often does this happen? I have a patient who is liking the Wellbutrin but is drinking socially on the weekends (5-6 beers). I always advise them to reduce Alcohol consumption and educate regarding seizure risk. I only have them on the SR formulation, but would like to do XL to minimize BID dosing.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't it be the withdrawal from EtOH that would be concern for seizures? This persn is drinking alot at a time but only once a week, rt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought that seizures on Wellbutrin was dose related, with greater risks being associated with doses above 450mg/day. However, I don't prescribe it much due to the horrendous pricing in Australia.

Regarding alcohol, intake can raise the seizure threshold and it is cessation and withdrawal which is associated with seizures.

I believe on uptodate it states there is a 0.04% chance of seizure up to 450 mg q24h, and above 450 mg it is 3.0%.

So that's why max dose is 450 mg q24h. BTW, I always use XL not SR.

I wouldn't worry about once a week drinking. I think wellbutrin is pretty safe with that regard. I personally only avoid Wellbutrin in patients with a seizure disorder or blatant EtOH use disorder. But honestly, good thinking. Better safe than sorry.

But I agree with pistolpete, I always document that I explained to the patient the above percentage of seizures.

I remember someone saying on this forum how the seizure threshold was effectively embellished from the study published on Wellbutrin (my words).