Westchester Medical-NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scorpio23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm just looking for some additional information about this program. From the interview I know that residents rotate through 2 other hospitals (Danbury and St. Vincents) but wasn't sure if the program was malignant. Seems like they're strong in Peds and maybe Regional? If you know any info please post. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm just looking for some additional information about this program. From the interview I know that residents rotate through 2 other hospitals (Danbury and St. Vincents) but wasn't sure if the program was malignant. Seems like they're strong in Peds and maybe Regional? If you know any info please post. Thanks in advance!!

they dont rotate through st vincents. they rotate through nymc in valhalla, danbury, metropolitan in the city for OB pretty much, and sound shore in new rochelle. a LOT of traveling and distance between those 4 places. i will post more on the program later when i get my notes out from interview day, but i am not going to rank it, had a terrible feel there

My close friend from med school just graduated from their anesthesiology residency program. PM me if you want, and I'll see if she wouldn't mind my giving you her email to ask.

I know for certain she HATED her intern year there doing IM (definitely a bad experience), but don't know how she felt after she started anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
So recently of probation, 3 yr accr. I think last yrs class had 90% written board pass rate. Daily lectures. As per PD at WCMC ur practically q4, its "lighter" at other hospitals but she said when ur away u get more Friday and Sat call so I don't see how thats a good thing. As per resident work about 60-70hrs week with CA1 being in 70s. One-third usually do fellowships and PD sid generally first choice. One attending said they have lots of regional exposure.

In Danbury, theres three apts you can stay at if you want.
Met one resident the whole day which I didn't like. But PD was very nice.

Looks like this isn't going to be a high rank on most people's list. What do you guys think of their reputation?

I interviewed there 5 years ago and do not have pleasant memories. Do they still do cattle interviews? Besides rotating through other hospitals, your salary differ a lot, based, which one is destined as your base one( the difference was unfair) - and the area is expensive. It was malignant. Do not know if anything has changed.

I was debating where this should go on my ROL. Any more updates on this program?

depends on what the rest of your ROL is..

I'd say avoid even ranking this program. I've been told the only ones worth ranking in NYC are cornell/columbia/NYU/Sinai.

depends on what the rest of your ROL is..

I'd say avoid even ranking this program. I've been told the only ones worth ranking in NYC are cornell/columbia/NYU/Sinai.

Hey Coastie, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I've heard mixed things about the program, but I have to rank it b/c of restrictions to stay in NJ/NY if possible. Unfortunately I didn't get interviews at the powerhouse places in NYC, but I'm looking to make do with this list (in no particular order):

1. Penn state
2. UMDNJ Newark
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Down
5. Westchester
6. Case Western Metro
7. Univ of Arkansas
8. Baylor
9. St. Joseph
10. St. Barnabas

We'll see what happens in March! :thumbup:

Hey Coastie, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I've heard mixed things about the program, but I have to rank it b/c of restrictions to stay in NJ/NY if possible. Unfortunately I didn't get interviews at the powerhouse places in NYC, but I'm looking to make do with this list (in no particular order):

1. Penn state
2. UMDNJ Newark
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Down
5. Westchester
6. Case Western Metro
7. Univ of Arkansas
8. Baylor
9. St. Joseph
10. St. Barnabas

penn st - did not interview but its certainly not in nj, good rep
umdnj - one of my favs, good rep, good vibes, solid program
suny down - hard work, dirty hosp, good area in nyc
westchester - hard work, bad rep, good area, good group runs the prog
6789 - did not interview
st. barnabas - was impressed, smaller, solid training/board passing, good area/group in nyc, ok rep

i think its a big mistake to rank nymc above st joes/st barnabas
seemed like the worst call schedule id seen at any program, bad rep, and RESIDENT run lectures..

6789 - did not interview
st. barnabas - was impressed, smaller, solid training/board passing, good area/group in nyc, ok rep

seemed like the worst call schedule id seen at any program, bad rep, and RESIDENT run lectures..

suny downstate is in a good area? you gotta be kidding right?

6789 - did not interview

Hey thanks for the input buddy! That list wasn't my ROL in order, just the ones I'm going to rank. Do you remember the call schedule exactly for Westchester? If I remember right (I have to look at the notes I took down) they were like q4-5? One thing I did like was that they have a very rigid 4:30pm rule which was nice. Overall their hours are like 65-70 I think...

I don't think I'll rank NYMC above the other community programs, but who knows...I might just end up getting my palm read at the local psychic :smack:

Wishful thinking, it's every 3rd or 4th night depending...ah well

Wishful thinking, it's every 3rd or 4th night depending...ah well

i remember them showing one of the junior residents call schedules..
i think it was like 7 total calls and 2 saturdays

downstate is actually in a horrible area in brooklyn, but u can live in nice brooklyn areas with access to manhattan and also work is what i meant

I've heard bad bad things about case metro.

Whats the latest on baylor?

Try this ROL on for size (independent of NY/NJ areas)

1. Penn state
2. UMDNJ Newark
3. SUNY Upstate
4. Univ of Arkansas
5. Baylor
6. SUNY Down
7. Westchester
8. Case Western Metro
9. St. Joseph
10. St. Barnabas

1. Penn state
2. UMDNJ Newark
3. SUNY Upstate
4. SUNY Down
5. Westchester
6. Case Western Metro
7. Univ of Arkansas
8. Baylor
9. St. Joseph
10. St. Barnabas

I'm surprised you heard bad stuff about Metro. Would you mind sharing? A close friend rotated there for a month and they loved it. When I went for a second look, everything seemed pleasant enough with definitely more strengths than weaknesses.

I thought Baylor was an amazing program. The program director has been there forever, although they do have an interim chair (who I believe is looking to stay). They train at Texas Heart, Texas Children's, Ben Taub and MD Anderson, so that should speak for itself. The residents seemed happy!

Thanks for your ROL!

Anyone have any update on this program. Has it significant improved over the past 4 years? I took a look at their website and it was pretty well built