Western COMP Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheaterOfTheme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I have recently been accepted to WesternUs linkage program and was hoping I could find some valuable advice from current students on here regarding the important things. I am the type that does not commit quickly, and want to ensure this 200k + decision will be worth it. So...here are my Q's for current Western students...

1. How are clinical rotations looking with respect to locations? (especially given UCR's newfound presence)

2. How is the curriculum overall?

3. Do you like OMM?

4. Do you feel you are being prepared well for the USMLE?

5. Do you enjoy your time there?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I have recently been accepted to WesternU's linkage program and was hoping I could find some valuable advice from current students on here regarding the important things. I am the type that does not commit quickly, and want to ensure this 200k + decision will be worth it. So...here are my Q's for current Western students...

1. How are clinical rotations looking with respect to locations? (especially given UCR's newfound presence)

3. Do you like OMM?

Thanks!
Third-year here.
1) As of right now, rotation sites haven't changed much except for the fact that there are less rotations at RCMC. If you want county hospital experience, there are still plenty of rotations available at Arrowhead.
2) I thought it was pretty good. Not perfect but then again I haven't heard of a school which students claim has a "perfect" curriculum. Not sure what other details you want about this.
3) Yes. Towards the end of second year it does feel like there is more time spent on mandatory OMM stuff (we call it ILS) than necessary.
4) I will defer this question given that our class's USMLE and COMLEX scores are not out yet.
5) Yes. It's no cakewalk but most students can carve out some fun if you plan properly.

Congratulations for getting into the linkage program by the way. Just be aware that you will be very young and likely not have any time to rest and mature during undergrad or between undergrad and med school. I've seen some adjust well and others not.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to the least expensive school you can. Personal effort will trump the curriculum in regards to board prep (as First Aid, Pathoma, UWorld are the triumvirate). Bust your ass regardless where you go and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!

I have recently been accepted to WesternU's linkage program and was hoping I could find some valuable advice from current students on here regarding the important things. I am the type that does not commit quickly, and want to ensure this 200k + decision will be worth it. So...here are my Q's for current Western students...

Southern California is very crowded at the moment. It's not just UCR but Touro and SGU both have a sizable presence at sites that have historically been WesternU affiliated. Our rotations are still pretty decent but it is getting harder and harder to find spots within driving distance of Pomona for 225 students. Our school is expanding affiliations but the well of Inland empire and east LA has been nearly drained dry. Most of the new affiliations we have made are outside the normal 25 mile geographical distance area and I suspect this may require more students to move for a required rotation once or twice during third year. I spent all of my 3rd year living in one location and commuting. That may be more difficult in the future.

I like it. It gives good opportunity to different learning styles. If you like to study on your own you mostly can do that. If you like classroom interaction and small group study there is also a place for that.

3. Do you like OMM?
I do. Some of my classmates don't. Overall I think our OMM department is pretty good with knowledgable professors and awesome student OMM fellows.

I can't answer that. I only took the COMLEX.

Yes. I've had an overall positive experience.

This is the equivalent of WesternU:

3231682806_bbca135886_z.jpg

1. There's not much I can contribute here since I haven't experienced this yet (Just finished MS1). However, WesternU still has pretty good clinical affiliations, but not nearly as solid as they used to be few years ago. Also, I keep hearing horror stories from my 3rd year friends who had their rotation sites changed by the admins and now they need to travel longer distances for their new sites.

2. I don't have a lot of positive things to say about the curriculum. I don't like it. Unlike that of other med schools, it's not geared to help you do well on the boards. I was told by a friend of mine that this issue was brought up to the town hall meeting, and the admin responded by something along the line of "we can't teach the material solely for the boards; we care more about producing competent physicians". To me that's crap. The whole purpose of the pre-clinical years is to prepare you to do as well as possible on the boards, so you could match a respectable residency program. Another thing I'm not a big fan of is the Small Group/ Large group thing. IMO, this is a big waste of time and energy. You spend 3 hours with your group members teaching yourselves the material only to find out during the Large Group that most of what you learned was wrong and now you need to relearn the concepts correctly.

3. OMM is a big disappointment. I was very excited to learn it before starting school. Very soon I began to realize that I want nothing to do with it. I dread the weekly OMM 4-hour meetings. From talking to friends who attend other DO schools, it's obvious to me that WesternU places bigger emphasis on this course than other schools.

4. I partially addressed this in my answer to q2. I can't know for sure until I take the boards, but it seems to me that my friends of class of 2017 are really struggling with their preparation for the boards. Two of them are average students, or a tad above average, and had to take their vacation month ahead of the third year in order to prepare more for the boards. After 6 weeks of hardcore studying, they barely got a passing score on the COMSAE exams, much less a reputable score. Again, these are averages students.

5. I spent every possible minute during the first year away from the school. I like to watch lectures from home and only go to school when I need to. Unfortunately, this will change during year 2 since we will be having more of those useless small group meetings. Not looking forward to it. Otherwise, I'm really happy to be able to stay in SoCal for medical school. I get to go to the beach and Disneyland with my family. Perhaps, this is the main reason I'm still content with my decision of attending this school over other DO schools.

Sorry for being so bitter, but I thought you may want to know the truth. Also, congratulations on your linkage acceptance.

I haven't gotten to this stage, but many good rotations are being lost because SGU holds money and UCR has invaded.

I think it's terrible. They don't teach toward the step. I've had exams where 80% of the drugs covered are not even FA. Our neuroscience course is like 40% anatomy with no relevance to what's tested on boards. Then you have the small group stuff that's just a waste of time. People in my group basically just wing it and use the 4 hours to mess around because actually trying means the next day you find out everything you learned from reputable sources like UptoDate or Mayo Clinic are wrong. Professors sometimes contradict one another and aren't good at accepting legitimate challenges. The only times challenges are accepted is if they feel they don't have an artificially created average they like.

Don't get me started on the waste of time that IPE, PAS, etc. is or how one professor says 3 almonds a day cures high cholesterol and you should put peanut butter oil on your joints for pain or how another advocates for homeopathy.
3. Do you like OMM?
No, and that's not the problem. The problem is we do 4 hours a week when everyone does 2, and we are forced to do an OMM rotation. Also, putting your fingers in someone's dingus and pretending you are doing lymphatics on someone is disturbing. More disturbing is when another student does it to you.

No, when I look at FA, I feel my school has failed to give attention to the important aspects of each section.

No, I think it's terrible. The school really knows how to try to suck out every second possible from your free time.

Reactions: 4 users
2. I don't have a lot of positive things to say about the curriculum. I don't like it. Unlike that of other med schools, it's not geared to help you do well on the boards. I was told by a friend of mine that this issue was brought up to the town hall meeting, and the admin responded by something along the line of "we can't teach the material solely for the boards; we care more about producing competent physicians". To me that's crap. The whole purpose of the pre-clinical years is to prepare you to do as well as possible on the boards, so you could match a respectable residency program. Another thing I'm not a big fan of is the Small Group/ Large group thing. IMO, this is a big waste of time and energy. You spend 3 hours with your group members teaching yourselves the material only to find out during the Large Group that most of what you learned was wrong and now you need to relearn the concepts correctly.

That's not a bad thing. I go to a school that is highly focused on boards. Sometimes I feel the foundation of knowledge is lacking when we're busy trying to focus on "high yield board material".

I understand that a high board score helps you get a good residency but having a high board score doesn't mean you're going to be a better physician. I still believe Western U gives a solid education.

The only benefit is that before a midterm or final I can go through FA and it's practically an outline of what we have covered. Our anatomy fellows did really helpful reviews and they were pretty much straight out of FA or other board review books.

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. Some insightful stuff here. I suppose my greatest worry is the whole clinical thing. I guess there's really no way to tell what it will be like.

I haven't gotten to this stage, but many good rotations are being lost because SGU holds money and UCR has invaded.

I think it's terrible. They don't teach toward the step. I've had exams where 80% of the drugs covered are not even FA. Our neuroscience course is like 40% anatomy with no relevance to what's tested on boards. Then you have the small group stuff that's just a waste of time. People in my group basically just wing it and use the 4 hours to mess around because actually trying means the next day you find out everything you learned from reputable sources like UptoDate or Mayo Clinic are wrong. Professors sometimes contradict one another and aren't good at accepting legitimate challenges. The only times challenges are accepted is if they feel they don't have an artificially created average they like.

Don't get me started on the waste of time that IPE, PAS, etc. is or how one professor says 3 almonds a day cures high cholesterol and you should put peanut butter oil on your joints for pain or how another advocates for homeopathy.

No, and that's not the problem. The problem is we do 4 hours a week when everyone does 2, and we are forced to do an OMM rotation. Also, putting your fingers in someone's dingus and pretending you are doing lymphatics on someone is disturbing. More disturbing is when another student does it to you.

No, when I look at FA, I feel my school has failed to give attention to the important aspects of each section.

No, I think it's terrible. The school really knows how to try to suck out every second possible from your free time.

There are some interesting criticisms here. I know, from a previous post I had, that you felt this way. I am really not sure about that homeopathy stuff. That sounds bad. How is your lottery so far for rotations?

There are some interesting criticisms here. I know, from a previous post I had, that you felt this way. I am really not sure about that homeopathy stuff. That sounds bad. How is your lottery so far for rotations?
You'll have to wait until October for me to answer that one.

1. There's not much I can contribute here since I haven't experienced this yet (Just finished MS1). However, WesternU still has pretty good clinical affiliations, but not nearly as solid as they used to be few years ago. Also, I keep hearing horror stories from my 3rd year friends who had their rotation sites changed by the admins and now they need to travel longer distances for their new sites.

3. OMM is a big disappointment. I was very excited to learn it before starting school. Very soon I began to realize that I want nothing to do with it. I dread the weekly OMM 4-hour meetings. From talking to friends who attend other DO schools, it's obvious to me that WesternU places bigger emphasis on this course than other schools.

4. I partially addressed this in my answer to q2. I can't know for sure until I take the boards, but it seems to me that my friends of class of 2017 are really struggling with their preparation for the boards. Two of them are average students, or a tad above average, and had to take their vacation month ahead of the third year in order to prepare more for the boards. After 6 weeks of hardcore studying, they barely got a passing score on the COMSAE exams, much less a reputable score. Again, these are averages students.

5. I spent every possible minute during the first year away from the school. I like to watch lectures from home and only go to school when I need to. Unfortunately, this will change during year 2 since we will be having more of those useless small group meetings. Not looking forward to it. Otherwise, I'm really happy to be able to stay in SoCal for medical school. I get to go to the beach and Disneyland with my family. Perhaps, this is the main reason I'm still content with my decision of attending this school over other DO schools.

Sorry for being so bitter, but I thought you may want to know the truth. Also, congratulations on your linkage acceptance.

Why would other DO schools be better in your mind, apart from the OMM issue? I can imagine that WesternU, as it is in California, has better clinicals than most...Also, how do you define average student?

That's not a bad thing. I go to a school that is highly focused on boards. Sometimes I feel the foundation of knowledge is lacking when we're busy trying to focus on "high yield board material".

I understand that a high board score helps you get a good residency but having a high board score doesn't mean you're going to be a better physician. I still believe Western U gives a solid education.

The only benefit is that before a midterm or final I can go through FA and it's practically an outline of what we have covered. Our anatomy fellows did really helpful reviews and they were pretty much straight out of FA or other board review books.

I don't see why it has to be either or. Many med schools have been able to provide solid medical science education while adhering to what's relevant for the boards. At the end, the main purpose of attending medical school is to become a physician not a scientist.

Now that the national average for usmle has been climbing by 2 points per year, med school curriculums should be catered toward making students ready to score well on the boards.

Matching a good residency program should be everyone's top priority. when you have a borderline passing score and end up matching a program in the middle of nowhere where the number of patients you see don't exceed 7 per day, you are not going to be a very competent physician.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would other DO schools be better in your mind, apart from the OMM issue? I can imagine that WesternU, as it is in California, has better clinicals than most...Also, how do you define average student?
I really can't answer this question fairly since I don't have sufficient knowledge about then curriculum of other schools. However we have one objective way to help us determine this, and that is the average USMLE score. Despite having solid clinical affiliations, WesternU students perform below the national average, even lower than some other DO schools.

If you don't have the stats to get into an MD schools, WesternU is probably one of the best option you have. Don't get me wrong. I don't wish to be attending other DO schools (other than TCOM for obvious reasons), but there are several aspects about my school that I hope they were different.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see why it has to be either or. Many med schools have been able to provide solid medical science education while adhering to what's relevant for the boards. At the end, the main purpose of attending medical school is to become a physician not a scientist.

Now that the national average for usmle has been climbing by 2 points per year, med school curriculums should be catered toward making students ready to score well on the boards.

Matching a good residency program should be everyone's top priority. when you have a borderline passing score and end up matching a program in he middle of nowhere where the number of patients you see don't exceed 7 per day, you are not going to be a very competent physician.

Btw, the difference between the average usmle scores between your school and mine exceeds 10 points, so there's no reason to sugarcoat this.

If you ask people from other schools that performed well on the USMLE for reasons behind their success I doubt the reason they cite is med school preparation. Many people have said how you perform on the boards is completely up to the individual. You have all the tools you need to be successful on the boards in the form of review materials

If you ask people from other schools that performed well on the USMLE for reasons behind their success I doubt the reason they cite is med school preparation. Many people have said how you perform on the boards is completely up to the individual. You have all the tools you need to be successful on the boards in the form of review materials

I totally agree. However, I believe that the school's curriculum can play important role in facilitating student's board prep and ability to exhibit their full potential on the boards.

I can't see what post you're replying to (probably due to the ignore feature) but homeopathy is absolutely NOT a part of our curriculum.

Come on, how does this even make sense in your mind? The entire purpose of the preclinical curriculum is to give you an adequate foundation for when you go study for the boards. If your school is teaching you a bunch of useless stuff an under-emphasizing things that are high yield for boards, how do you expect students to do well on boards? Besides, you can compare directly to other schools. WesternU ranks 10 points below schools like KCUMB where incoming students historically have lower GPA/MCAT.

I can't see what post you're replying to (probably due to the ignore feature) but homeopathy is absolutely NOT a part of our curriculum.
It's not part of our formal curriculum. However, there are professors giving lunch talks about the benefits of homeopathy and our pharmacy carries homeopathic remedies.

It's interesting to see ppl who go to the same school ignores each other. I think GUH put you in "ignored," Albino.

Come on, how does this even make sense in your mind? The entire purpose of the preclinical curriculum is to give you an adequate foundation for when you go study for the boards. If your school is teaching you a bunch of useless stuff an under-emphasizing things that are high yield for boards, how do you expect students to do well on boards? Besides, you can compare directly to other schools. WesternU ranks 10 points below schools like KCUMB where incoming students historically have lower GPA/MCAT.

It's not part of our formal curriculum. However, there are professors giving lunch talks about the benefits of homeopathy and our pharmacy carries homeopathic remedies.

If you don't want to go to the alternative medicine lectures at lunch then do as 90% of the student body does and don't go. Its not difficult. It's not part of the curriculum. There are various church groups that teach on campus during lunch as well but that doesn't mean our school is promoting religious indoctrination.

Medical school preparation is not nearly the most important factor for board success. Individual effort toward board study is the most significant. There are plenty of my classmates with 240+ USMLE scores but I know they worked hard for it. I also know the students who would go to Vegas or LA clubs every other week and were disappointed with their scores. Maybe KCUMB has higher scores because there are less distractions in Kansas City that in Southern California. Our curriculum, especially in second year, is very self directed. It is largely up to the student whether they sink or swim.

If you don't want to go to the alternative medicine lectures at lunch then do as 90% of the student body does and don't go. Its not difficult. It's not part of the curriculum. There are various church groups that teach on campus during lunch as well but that doesn't mean our school is promoting religious indoctrination.

Medical school preparation is not nearly the most important factor for board success. Individual effort toward board study is the most significant. There are plenty of my classmates with 240+ USMLE scores but I know they worked hard for it. I also know the students who would go to Vegas or LA clubs every other week and were disappointed with their scores. Maybe KCUMB has higher scores because there are less distractions in Kansas City that in Southern California. Our curriculum, especially in second year, is very self directed. It is largely up to the student whether they sink or swim.
I understand that I don't have to go to lunch talks, but you can't deny that when you have faculty physicians advocating pseudoscience that creates a mess between science based medicine and quackery. The same happens when you sell products that are anti-scientific.

We'll have to agree to disagree on medical school preparation, but I don't really think people get lower scores because they are in Vegas an LA clubs all the time.

Our curriculum, especially in second year, is very self directed. It is largely up to the student whether they sink or swim.

1. Then WTF are they charging over $50k/year for?
2. It doesn't help when you have to waste 8-12 hours a week stroking Jr. Pumerantz's ego with his small group/large group bowel child.

Reactions: 2 users
2. It doesn't help when you have to waste 8-12 hours a week stroking Jr. Pumerantz's ego with his small group/large group bowel child.
I don't recall Jr. leading large group for 12 hours any week during second year. Maybe it's changed from when you were there?

I don't recall Jr. leading large group for 12 hours any week during second year. Maybe it's changed from when you were there?

1. I was talking about being required to go to small group for 3-4 hours 2-3 times a week.

2. Small group/large group was his "brain" child.

3. The first year of Small Group/Large Group could better be called "The Pumy Show," especially when he ran off the dermatologist.

1) Medical school is overpriced. Something we can all agree on.
2) He now only facilitates a few large groups a year. Large group/small group run the gamut from being great or a waste of time spending on who this facilitator is that day but I enjoyed it. I feel bad for your year, Siggy, since you all had the change in curriculum dropped on you but everyone now at the school should know what they are signing up for.

Only reason we keep paying as much as we do is because over half the class is complacent. We take every class with the pods and they pay 20k less than us.

Are there any 3rd/4th year COMP students on here that did really well on the boards that might be willing to talk to me (by email)? I am starting at COMP in a month and would love to hear some of their study habits and general advice for success at WesternU and for the boards. I am definitely not a gunner by any means, but I do want to make the most of my time there and do well enough to have decent specialty options available to me; especially if western does not teach in a manner best suited for the boards. Please PM me.

It should be mentioned that the new MD school affliated with ARMC is expected to take rotation and possibly residency slots away from Western. That might wont affect the people matriculating and attending now but it is another knock against the school.

It should be mentioned that the new MD school affliated with ARMC is expected to take rotation and possibly residency slots away from Western. That might wont affect the people matriculating and attending now but it is another knock against the school.
I'll be concerned when CalMed actually has something besides a website.

So all DO schools ARE the same.

Is anyone able to find data about board test passing rate and average scores from WesternU?

Is anyone able to find data about board test passing rate and average scores from WesternU?

One thing COMP is super transparent about.
http://dashboard.westernu.edu/oir-charts/index.php?chart=oir-osteopathic-medicine-charts

I believe that includes both campuses combined. I wouldnt be worried about CalMed. Last I heard there was an irreconcilable funding issue but that is old info. I have a review for those interested in the review thread but tldr I was impressed with the education, class flexibility (aka not going), and rotations. The ability to not go to class if not needed is key and self study time imo makes board studying so much more bearable. And while I liked PBL one doesn't have to invest much into the sessions if they're not valuable to you. There's a sign in sheet and much of the work could be done remotely.

And to the dude bashing the profs, the "almond guy" argues certain amounts of nuts a day is as good at preventing CVD as statins and is doing a study, the optional homeopathy dude is actually a great teacher at his specialty, winning numerous student awards, and teaches one of the imo most FA centric classes, and there are some awesome OMM rotations that run more like FM clinics with more medicine than OMM. I think we can all agree diet plays a huge role in CVD, the homeopathy stuff is all optional, though I do wish they'd stop selling that crap in the campus pharmacy, and I can't defend the OMM requirement but found my OMM rotation to be one of my favorites even if I feel the OMM component was b.s.

Last edited:
http://dashboard.westernu.edu/oir-charts/index.php?chart=oir-osteopathic-medicine-charts

I believe that includes both campuses combined. I wouldnt be worried about CalMed. Last I heard there was an irreconcilable funding issue but that is old info. I have a review for those interested in the review thread but tldr I was impressed with the education, class flexibility (aka not going), and rotations. The ability to not go to class if not needed is key and self study time imo makes board studying so much more bearable. And while I liked PBL one doesn't have to invest much into the sessions if they're not valuable to you. There's a sign in sheet and much of the work could be done remotely.

And to the dude bashing the profs, the "almond guy" argues certain amounts of nuts a day is as good at preventing CVD as statins and is doing a study, the optional homeopathy dude is actually a great teacher at his specialty, winning numerous student awards, and teaches one of the imo most FA centric classes, and there are some awesome OMM rotations that run more like FM clinics with more medicine than OMM. I think we can all agree diet plays a huge role in CVD, the homeopathy stuff is all optional, though I do wish they'd stop selling that crap in the campus pharmacy, and I can't defend the OMM requirement but found my OMM rotation to be one of my favorites even if I feel the OMM component was b.s.

Thanks! Is there data about the actual exam score averages from COMLEX and USMLE? I can't seem to find that

Thanks! Is there data about the actual exam score averages from COMLEX and USMLE? I can't seem to find that
They release it to students. I don't have it in handy. The USMLE ones are more troublesome because it's self-reported and apparently only like 2/3 of the class takes it and averages 220.

I have been wondering about this aa well because the sources I have report different numbers. Some say 210 while others claim 218. Seems to me that the average on USMLE is between 210 and 220. However, keep in mind that only half of the students choose to take the USMLE.

I have been wondering about this aa well because the sources I have report different numbers. Some say 210 while others claim 218. Seems to me that the average on USMLE is between 210 and 220. However, keep in mind that only half of the students choose to take the USMLE.

I don't mean to rub salt on open wounds but that's a little disturbing given the high caliber of students your institution has.

For comparison our average was 227 (c/o 2016?) with the old curriculum and class profile of 3.6/26

Similarly, I believe only a percentage of the class took USMLE.

220 isn't horrible but if it's 210 then... I dunno wtf is going on there esp if 50% of the class took it. I'm guessing those 50% felt more prepared and studied for the USMLE than others who opted not to take it.

I spoke to a student from our school who was close to the very bottom of the class (c/o 2016) but scored a 220.

I don't mean to rub salt on open wounds but that's a little disturbing given the high caliber of students your institution has.

For comparison our average was 227 (c/o 2016?) with the old curriculum and class profile of 3.6/26

Similarly, I believe only a percentage of the class took USMLE.

220 isn't horrible but if it's 210 then... I dunno wtf is going on there esp if 50% of the class took it. I'm guessing those 50% felt more prepared and studied for the USMLE than others who opted not to take it.

I spoke to a student from our school who was close to the very bottom of the class (c/o 2016) but scored a 220.

It's troubling that even posts dating back to 2001 have had criticisms of WesternU's curriculum with regards to board test prep

So the majority of the class passes the Boards (how well, who knows, but weeee we passed!) and the majority of the class gets a residency spot (TRI in BFE nowhere? Who cares, you matched! WEEEEEE).

Is there any US medical school (with possible exception to the Puerto Rico schools) that has an issue with students passing and getting into some residency someplace?

So the majority of the class passes the Boards (how well, who knows, but weeee we passed!) and the majority of the class gets a residency spot (TRI in BFE nowhere? Who cares, you matched! WEEEEEE).

Is there any US medical school (with possible exception to the Puerto Rico schools) that has an issue with students passing and getting into some residency someplace?

Check out some of the threads on newer DO schools and data on older school's attrition rates. It's double digits at some older places in first year in the link and there are lots of horror stories from WCU on SDN. Passing is a valid concern for many. Heck, one of my first posts on here was asking about COMPs 5 yr and anticipated graduation rates concerned I'd be in the bottom 10%. I couldn't find the actual data (only SDN data) for other DO schools when I applied and was very grateful that was published by COMP. I'd like the average step score data but with so many schools forcing mandatory COMAT pre test cutoffs, the variability in the percentage that take USMLE, and the importance of self study to success, I'm not sure how much we could gain from that data

Check out some of the threads on newer DO schools and data on older school's attrition rates. It's double digits at some older places in first year in the link and there are lots of horror stories from WCU on SDN. Passing is a valid concern for many. Heck, one of my first posts on here was asking about COMPs 5 yr and anticipated graduation rates concerned I'd be in the bottom 10%. I couldn't find the actual data (only SDN data) for other DO schools when I applied and was very grateful that was published by COMP. I'd like the average step score data but with so many schools forcing mandatory COMAT pre test cutoffs, the variability in the percentage that take USMLE, and the importance of self study to success, I'm not sure how much we could gain from that data

Unfortunately, the attrition rate is weaker because we don't know the schools. It's important because we don't know class size (and losing 1 person in a brand new class of 60 is a much larger percent than 1 person in a class of 200) and how established the school is. It's interesting when a school has a 2%, 2%, 10%, 10% (1/2/3/4 year) (2011-2012 school #16), or the reverse (#22), then something happened good or bad.

I am curious as to where you can find this attrition rate data? Is it reasonable?

Thanks for your perspective. So its pretty certain that CalMed won't open?

Thanks for your perspective. So its pretty certain that CalMed won't open?

Maybe one day. There is or was a big fraud investigation and multiple other lawsuits in regards to the main donor who is also on the board of the proposed school. Interesting stuff to google. I doubt the LCME approval process goes smoothly. But I haven't read up on this since last year so take my advice with a grain of salt. The attrition rate is in the link i posted further up in the thread

Maybe one day. There is or was a big fraud investigation and multiple other lawsuits in regards to the main donor who is also on the board of the proposed school. Interesting stuff to google. I doubt the LCME approval process goes smoothly. But I haven't read up on this since last year so take my advice with a grain of salt. The attrition rate is in the link i posted further up in the thread
Ok I will definitely look it up. Is it the 'on-time graduation rate' statistic?

I just saw it in that comment. Sorry, didn't see the blue link color earlier! Is there any way of knowing which school corresponds to which number? Is it possible the school numbers are based on the chronology in which the school was opened? If so WesternU would be somewhere around #13?

Last edited:
It's troubling that even posts dating back to 2001 have had criticisms of WesternU's curriculum with regards to board test prep
Because this school only cares about itself. Since there are a few osteopaths in the area, they over focus on OMM. They also put a lot into making you look good for rotations because it makes them look good. If the students have garbage board scores, they don't care because they keep advertising that people go into primary care, which is the school mission.

You mention that COMP published attrition rates. It seems to me that they only have graduation rates right now...Is that what you are referring to?