Western University Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lily08USF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have had an interview at Western University... May I ask if you can list some questions that you've being asked before?.. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As you may already know...Western has behavioral interviews. So they won't ask, "Why do you want to become an optometrist?". Rather, you'll get questions like, "Tell us about a time when you displayed maturity." Just type in behavioral questions into google and practice answering the list of questions you find. I think that the questions that I got asked were there. Make sure that your answers are complete, have a point, and really do answer the questions, or else you'll get hit by follow-up questions. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews are stupid...

If I were to choose an aspect of the application process in which I feel is stupid, I would have to say spending money on additional supplemental applications after the applicant fills out the OptomCas application for our so-called "universal" application service. That is stupid.

:hijacked:

If I were to choose an aspect of the application process in which I feel is stupid, I would have to say spending money on additional supplemental applications after the applicant fills out the OptomCas application for our so-called "universal" application service. That is stupid.

:hijacked:

:thumbup:

agreed. and it doesn't end there. when they accept you, they want a $500 deposit that is non-refundable. so if you're still trying to get into other schools, it doesn't matter....you still lose that money.
i understand that they need to hold our seats...but $500 really?? and completely non-refundable. ridiculous...

agreed. and it doesn't end there. when they accept you, they want a $500 deposit that is non-refundable. so if you're still trying to get into other schools, it doesn't matter....you still lose that money.
i understand that they need to hold our seats...but $500 really?? and completely non-refundable. ridiculous...

I totally agree with you.

Like optometry school isn't going to cost enough...

Is there no way of holding off on the $500.00 deposit until you've heard from your top choices?

I think $500 is reasonable "insurance" to pay-- well worth the peace of mind to know that no matter how badly your other interviews go, you will be a pharmacist.

What is unreasonable is Touro University's $2,000 depost (yes, that's a 2 with three zeros). By my estimate they make over $100,000 a year just in applicants who decline their invitation to attend.

*edit*... just realized this was the pre-optometry forum. I was speaking about Pharmacy... sorry!

For those who have been through the interview process, what are the on-site essay questions like? Are there any "following directions" tricks like the "five words per line" trick that USC uses?

*edit*... just realized this was the pre-optometry forum. I was speaking about Pharmacy... sorry!

...pharmacists :eyebrow:

im curious, why is westerns interview so long!?
i have mine next month and it says to anticipate being on campus for SIX HOURS.
i went to pco 2 weeks ago and that was 4 hours and i thought it was very long.

any insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
every school's interview process/day is going to be different, obviously. but my best guess at why western's would want theirs to be longer is to familiarize you with the school and policies -- seeing as to how they are so new, students are bound to have more questions regarding western than other schools. also, they want to have that extra time to really reel you in with a longer sales pitch. pacific's interview day was about 8 hours if i remember correctly, giving me more time to fall in love with the school. moreover, by the time i left, i felt like i knew every detail about the staff, students, & program. so i think western just aims to console and comfort (and of course inform) students considering the school. but i didn't actually interview there, so my insight might stand completely incorrect.

Reactions: 1 user
much appreciated!

Last edited:
These were the 5 questions I was asked during my interview at Western University College of Optometry:
1. Give me an example of a situation in which you motivated someone.
2. Give me an example of a situation in which you went out of your way to help someone.
3. Give me an example of a situation in which you resolved a conflict with someone.
4. Give me an example of a situation in which somebody disagreed with you. How did you compromise?
5. ughh...I can't remember anymore.

Anyway, I am putting these questions up because these interview questions really threw me off. It is hard to come up with fast answers for questions like these!!
Futhermore, I was not informed I would be interviewing 5 minutes after I got there. All in all, it was a horrible nerve wrecking experience. And they rejected me.
My interview was a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed at Western, they asked me very similar questions to the ones listed above. I remember being asked to tell them about a time when I was faced with a difficult situation, when I had to work with someone I don't like, when I took intiative, when I went out of my way to help someone, etc. Before my interview, I was VERY nervous because I hate these types of questions, and honestly, I didn't think I knew myself well enough to answer all of them. Luckily, on the day of my interview, I just answered with the first thing that popped into my head and all of my examples worked pretty well.

My advice is to take some time to think about your experiences--the good and the bad. Remember that these examples don't have to be life-changing experiences. You can even base your answer on a situation at work or an all-nighter cramming for an exam. Be prepared to elaborate, too!

Depending on how many people are interviewing the same day, you begin by either interviewing or going on a tour. At first, I was a bit upset that I had to interview at the beginning of the day. However, towards the end of the day, I was pretty wiped and was really glad I already got my interview over with. The interview day consists of the interview, tour, financial aid review, lunch with current students, a short survey, and time for questions. It really doesn't take the whole 6 hours.

Good luck!

I just had an interview with Western recently. I can't say that I enjoyed the style much. I don't think that they really get to know you with this method. The behavioral interview is supposed to allow the school get to know the applicant, but the way it was conducted, I don't think they accomplished that.

I felt that the interview was very rigid and confining. They asked a question, I answered, and they jotted some things down. They stuck to the script very closely and never deviated with any personal questions about my past, interests, or anything of the sort.

Other interviews have allowed me to really express myself and I thought this one would be a piece of cake. Turns out it was much more difficult.
Be prepared and read up on behavioral questions (just google it) and hope you get a good interview team.

Any thoughts or different experiences?

I agree, I felt that the interview was very restricting. I felt as if I didn't get a chance to really shine :( still crossing my fingers, though

For those who have been accepted into Western u go join the facebook group CO 2014 and start networking. ALso check out westernuforum.com, its in the works, but will connect you with the other nine colleges at western.

Perhaps it depends on your interviewers, but I didn't feel my interview was restricting at all. In fact, my interviewers continued to ask me mini-questions among the 5 questions and that gave me an opportunity to elaborate even more; they even talked about their personal lives. As cliche as it may sound, my advice is to treat this interview like a conversation. After the end of my 5th question, we were just chatting!

You must have gotten one of the more friendly interview groups. Mine didn't share too much about their personal life. In fact, they cut me short because I was going too long on time. I was accepted btw, but I still thought that my interview wasn't very smooth when compared to some of the other ones I've had. Just my personal experience.

Just had my interview today. I froze in the beginning and then eased up later on. Never formally interviewed before in my life since I already make a living with my wedding photography business. Practicing interviews was nowhere near the real thing.

Anyway, Western is my #1 choice, so I truly hope I get in. I love the campus, I love the faculty, I love how easy accessible the teachers are, and I especially love all the new "21st century" hi-tech gadgets they have in their lecture halls and clinical areas.

Just a heads up, there aren't very many seats left, so good luck to you all!

Last edited:
did they tell you how many people have been admitted/accepted their seat?
I see you got accepted. Congrats! If you still wanted to know, they said there were around 55 seats taken. I'm pretty sure that's the 'final decision' number since they mailed out over 130 acceptance letters last year but I'll have to double check.

I see you got accepted. Congrats! If you still wanted to know, they said there were around 55 seats taken. I'm pretty sure that's the 'final decision' number since they mailed out over 130 acceptance letters last year but I'll have to double check.
Many of the seats taken category are those using Western as their fall- back choice. Those seats will be available again when they get accepted somewhere else.

Many of the seats taken category are those using Western as their fall- back choice. Those seats will be available again when they get accepted somewhere else.

i did thank you!
i must admit that i did use western as my fall back choice, but i have made it my final decision and i am excited to start this fall!

I interviewed at Western on Friday and got accepted! The interview actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...I just practiced answering behavioral type questions, like the ones posted here, and I did fine. Just make sure to take some time and really think about some of your personal experiences (whether at school, work, or any other extracurricular activities).

Just out of curiosity, for those of you have already accepted their seat into Western, what made you make this decision?

The interview threw me off. i was expecting typical "why optometry" "what got you interested" "how have you prepared to enter optometry" "what do you know about current events." instead my first question was "tell us about a time when you had to make a difficulty decision that demonstrates your maturity?" i didn't know what a behavioral interview was so prepare for that as suggest by angeleyes.

no on-site essay. =]

This is very off topic, but your username is bomb \m/

I interviewed at Western on Friday and got accepted! The interview actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...I just practiced answering behavioral type questions, like the ones posted here, and I did fine. Just make sure to take some time and really think about some of your personal experiences (whether at school, work, or any other extracurricular activities).

Just out of curiosity, for those of you have already accepted their seat into Western, what made you make this decision?

congrats!

i got accepted at nova, pacific, western, and pco.
i narrowed it down to pacific and western, i really liked the vibe pacific gave out, and my interview went amazing, i felt really comfortable there, but coming from california where a small town has 200,000+, not 20,000 i did not think i could live in forest grove for 3 years.

to be quite honest, i only went to my western interview because it was inexpensive and easy for me to get to socal. but they impressed me more than any of the other schools did. i liked that the dean came and sat with us before our interviews and how they thoroughly answered all questions people had. i was most impressed with their new facilities, everything was so high tech and new!
but i think what really drew me to western more than any other school was their integrated general science classes. i felt at the other schools all the optometry students all took classes together and only broke apart during labs, that seems really claustrophobic for me. i am looking forward to meeting my future optometrists, but i do not want to spend every waking moment with them. yes, i know that eventually there will be just opt students in the classes, but this was a big draw for me.

i also know that nova has this program, and that is the reason i applied there, but during my interview i asked if the opt students hung out and got to know the other students and they told me mainly they stick to themselves and i didnt like that. at western they all hang out and live with people from the other colleges.

good luck, hoped i helped even just a little, and maybe i will see you this august!

^^ that's a very good and informative post. I am in a similar situation (just got accepted to Western... woohoo!!) but I'm flying out tomorrow morning for my interview at NOVA. So Cal may be my backyard, but the prospect of a new life experience in Florida might win me over. To be continued...

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you might give me some input. I'm considering applying to either Western or University of the Incarnate Word. However, as you already know, it is April 2nd (very late to be applying). I only finished my OAT on Monday and the only two schools I have that will consider me are PCO and NOVA. But I keep hearing that there is a waitlist for both schools already.
What do you guys think? Should I apply to Western or UIW? Or neither and save my money since they would be fall back choices? Thanks for the input.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if you might give me some input. I'm considering applying to either Western or University of the Incarnate Word. However, as you already know, it is April 2nd (very late to be applying). I only finished my OAT on Monday and the only two schools I have that will consider me are PCO and NOVA. But I keep hearing that there is a waitlist for both schools already.
What do you guys think? Should I apply to Western or UIW? Or neither and save my money since they would be fall back choices? Thanks for the input.

If those schools aren't where you'd like to be, then wait for the next cycle to apply early to where you want to go. Knowing how expensive tuition is, I would work for the next year to save cash to offset the living expenses. At least you have the OAT out of the way, so all you'd really have to do is submit your OptomCas app. as soon as it opens up on day 1 for the next cycle.

Just what I would do if I were in your situation.

congrats!

i got accepted at nova, pacific, western, and pco.
i narrowed it down to pacific and western, i really liked the vibe pacific gave out, and my interview went amazing, i felt really comfortable there, but coming from california where a small town has 200,000+, not 20,000 i did not think i could live in forest grove for 3 years.

to be quite honest, i only went to my western interview because it was inexpensive and easy for me to get to socal. but they impressed me more than any of the other schools did. i liked that the dean came and sat with us before our interviews and how they thoroughly answered all questions people had. i was most impressed with their new facilities, everything was so high tech and new!
but i think what really drew me to western more than any other school was their integrated general science classes. i felt at the other schools all the optometry students all took classes together and only broke apart during labs, that seems really claustrophobic for me. i am looking forward to meeting my future optometrists, but i do not want to spend every waking moment with them. yes, i know that eventually there will be just opt students in the classes, but this was a big draw for me.

i also know that nova has this program, and that is the reason i applied there, but during my interview i asked if the opt students hung out and got to know the other students and they told me mainly they stick to themselves and i didnt like that. at western they all hang out and live with people from the other colleges.

good luck, hoped i helped even just a little, and maybe i will see you this august!

So, "integrated science classes" are ones in which the students of various colleges of a university are in the same lectures? That does sound interesting; I believe most schools of optometry aren't structured this way.

As far as I know, all the application deadlines passed by March, 2010; I'm not sure how you've heard either P.C.O. or Nova would accept your candidacy for the fall, 2010 term.

Thanks for the feedback. I applyed to those schools (pco and nova) long ago and meet their oat deadlines,but there is the waitlist factor I'm concerned about, that's what I mean. Also, western and uwi's deadline to apply has not passed, just check optomcas.

It makes sense to wait a year and reply, but in my defense I have been applying to optometry schools for 3 years, taken the oat 4 times, and started college in 2001. I'm ready to get in!
Which brings me back to, western or uwi? Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback. I applyed to those schools (pco and nova) long ago and meet their oat deadlines,but there is the waitlist factor I'm concerned about, that's what I mean. Also, western and uwi's deadline to apply has not passed, just check optomcas.

It makes sense to wait a year and reply, but in my defense I have been applying to optometry schools for 3 years, taken the oat 4 times, and started college in 2001. I'm ready to get in!
Which brings me back to, western or uwi? Thanks again

Western's deadline is already passed, so you only have UIWSO and IAUPR left. I interviewed at UIWSO a few weeks ago and I found the school's staffs and faculties very efficient and supportive. The surrounding neighborhood is nice, and people there are friendly. I did not have the chance to visit their new optometry building because it is still in process of remodeling for the entering class of 2010, but I have no doubt that it will contain state of the art equipments and technologies.

Also, If you check 2009 entering class's data , UIWSO's GPA and OAT is very close to PCO, Nova, and NECO. I believe students from UIWSO will be as competitive as students from any other opt schools, and the school should have no problem of getting accredited.

Thanks jc! I agree, I looked at UIW's website and it appears to be a nice school (and a great location in San Antonino). I think it would also be cheaper to live in San Antonino than California. Do you or anyone else know how long it usually takes for new optometry schools to become accredited? If I'm not mistaken, NOVA's optometry school opened in 1997 and just look at them now! Awesome school! Also, what exactly does it mean to graduate from an optometry school which has not yet been accredited?
Thanks. You guys are so helpful!

P.S. JC, there is a mistake to that link you sent me. Western's deadline is not 3/1. Trust me, I spoke to an admissions counselor yesterday. They are still interviewing!

P.S. JC, there is a mistake to that link you sent me. Western's deadline is not 3/1. Trust me, I spoke to an admissions counselor yesterday. They are still interviewing!

A number of schools still are interviewing, but their application-deadlines passed in March. (Sorry if this isn't what you meant.)

Thanks jc! I agree, I looked at UIW's website and it appears to be a nice school (and a great location in San Antonino). I think it would also be cheaper to live in San Antonino than California. Do you or anyone else know how long it usually takes for new optometry schools to become accredited? If I'm not mistaken, NOVA's optometry school opened in 1997 and just look at them now! Awesome school! Also, what exactly does it mean to graduate from an optometry school which has not yet been accredited?
Thanks. You guys are so helpful!

The link contains data of last year's entering class, it seems Western has extended their deadline this year to May 1st this year. During my interview, the UIWSO admission said the school will be accredited before the first class graduate in 2013. The following is a response from Western's admission to a similar question.

2) Although Western will undoubtedly do everything in its power to get accredited for the first graduating class, there is still a possibility that this will not happen (albeit, a small possibility), correct? So in this worst case scenario, what will happen to those students who would not be eligible to practice? (Will they be refunded tuition? Given back four years?)

The Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) may decide to grant one of the two following accreditation statuses to a program following adoption of the evaluation team report and recommendations.

• Accredited - A classification granted to an education program indicating that the program generally meets the standards for educational effectiveness of the total program. However, recommendations relating to marginal compliance with certain standards, and suggestions relating to program enhancement may be included in evaluation reports.
  • Accredited with Conditions - A classification granted to an educational program with major deficiences or weaknesses with reference to the standards of accreditation. This classification indicates that the educational effectiveness of the program is in jeopardy. Programs with this classification will be required to submit progress reports and shall undergo a full on-site evaluation visit within two years.
As you can see, it is not an "all or nothing" decision. If the status "accredited with conditions" is attained, there is a period of time to rectify any deficiencies. There is also an option for appeals and a process of reconsideration. We believe it is best for students to go directly to the source for the most accurate accreditation information. The ACOE can be contacted directly at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

So, "integrated science classes" are ones in which the students of various colleges of a university are in the same lectures? That does sound interesting; I believe most schools of optometry aren't structured this way.
Yup, and plus they do case-based studies at Western:

http://prospective.westernu.edu/optometry/interprofessional

... where you work directly with the other 8 colleges of sciences your first year. This is what intrigues me the most. I am definitely looking forward to it.

Would anyone else like to contribute to the questions asked during the interview? Any tricky questions that caught you off guard?

Did this school make you interviewers sign some sort of form saying you won't divulge this type of information? This seems highly unprofessional to me and unbefitting of future optometrists. We will know if you rehearsed our questions. The correct answer is not what we're looking for. We look at HOW you answer the question.

No, they didn't make anyone sign a waiver.