Western University of Health Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaPharma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey~!
I couldn't find a thread for Western, so I decided to start one. Any interview letters yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to hear! Well let us know when you do get something.

They give preferences to people who apply early. I think they review applications in order...so people who will get the December interview are the ones applied very early.

well today was the deadline, and tomorrow they will start reviewing appilcations....now the wait begins I wish everyone luck!:eek:

well today was the deadline, and tomorrow they will start reviewing appilcations....now the wait begins I wish everyone luck!:eek:
:DYup! I'm glad that all my applications are complete, but I'm drop-dead nervous too. Well, I guess we all are.
Please post any notifications from any of the California schools that you applied to, and I'll do the same. Good luck too you all!

35k/year for 4 years --> 140k for tuition. Similar to USC and LLU.

hmmm im really confused... the 3-yr progs like MWU charges only ~35k too but its for 3 yrs... and everybody was freaking out over the tuition... this is even worse! I've always thought 4-yr is around ~25k so it all adds up to b around the same in the end... wow:eek:

yeah pretty much with western and USC it's gonna cost an arm and a leg.....that's about 150K over year 4 years and add the interest......jesus christ....you're looking at 180K. God that's so cheap :)

yeah pretty much with western and USC it's gonna cost an arm and a leg.....that's about 150K over year 4 years and add the interest......jesus christ....you're looking at 180K. God that's so cheap :)

wow i was really stressed out over the tuition situation already... 4yrs at 35k just for tuition is going to be too much to handle... and everybody is ok w/ this??? i have absolutely no financial help from my family.... and i noe w/ a pharmacist's salary the loan isn't that hard to pay off..but that's ONLY if the economy and the pay for pharmacists r still gonna b as good as todays wen we grad!

Members don't see this ad :)
haha that's the price of going to western. It's my first choice....i live literally 10 minutes away....but yeah it's gonna be expensive. You'll end up paying it back over time. The toughest part is just getting in....haha

haha that's the price of going to western. It's my first choice....i live literally 10 minutes away....but yeah it's gonna be expensive. You'll end up paying it back over time. The toughest part is just getting in....haha

oo ok if i were u it'd be my first choice too...10 mins away!!! u save so much money if u get to live w/ ur parents or whatever.. :laugh: going to pharm school will b the first time im moving out on my own so the living expenses + tuition is what scares me...!

wow i was really stressed out over the tuition situation already... 4yrs at 35k just for tuition is going to be too much to handle... and everybody is ok w/ this??? i have absolutely no financial help from my family.... and i noe w/ a pharmacist's salary the loan isn't that hard to pay off..but that's ONLY if the economy and the pay for pharmacists r still gonna b as good as todays wen we grad!

you don't have to freak out

you don't have to, and I doubt that most people pay off their student loans immediately because you have the option to make payments

1.) generally, the minimum monthly payment for a student loan is manageable (especially on a pharmacists' salary) and when you select the terms of your repayment plan, you can opt for a shorter (with higher monthly payments) or longer plans (with lower monthly payments)

2.) student loan interest rates are generally pretty low, so if you can save up some money, the interest you earn can take a good chunk out of the interest you owe (and in some cases will outperform the interest you owe, and pay back into that initial principle)

3.) student loan interest is tax deductible (granted interest earned also increases your taxable income, the increase in interest return often makes it worth it)

4.) carrying a balance and making monthly payments is good for your creditm and with most companies, you can opt for auto-debiting, so your student loan contributions are made automatically from your bank account, and you don't have to even worry if the payment is made on-time

5.) if you're worried about not making enough money if the economy goes sour, just think of how much worse it would be without the degree where your margin for disposable income is, not only smaller, but exaggerated by the economic circumstances :)

you don't have to freak out

you don't have to, and I doubt that most people pay off their student loans immediately because you have the option to make payments

1.) generally, the minimum monthly payment for a student loan is manageable (especially on a pharmacists' salary) and when you select the terms of your repayment plan, you can opt for a shorter (with higher monthly payments) or longer plans (with lower monthly payments)

2.) student loan interest rates are generally pretty low, so if you can save up some money, the interest you earn can take a good chunk out of the interest you owe (and in some cases will outperform the interest you owe, and pay back into that initial principle)

3.) student loan interest is tax deductible (granted interest earned also increases your taxable income, the increase in interest return often makes it worth it)

4.) carrying a balance and making monthly payments is good for your creditm and with most companies, you can opt for auto-debiting, so your student loan contributions are made automatically from your bank account, and you don't have to even worry if the payment is made on-time

5.) if you're worried about not making enough money if the economy goes sour, just think of how much worse it would be without the degree where your margin for disposable income is, not only smaller, but exaggerated by the economic circumstances :)

aww thank you for your encouragements!

i was budgeting around 150k for the total expenses + tuition for my pharmD degree... if i go to MWU it'd be around that....assuming 50k*3=150k... but if i get accepted at western im looking at at least 200k for 4 yrs..and i'm seriously debating if it's even worth it to grad 1 yr later + spend extra 50k.... but perhaps i should WORRY after i get accepted :laugh:

haha dont stress over it michelle....if you get accepted...you can live at my place we have an extra room =P

I know some pharmacists and they pay about $500 a month for their loans. The balance is about 130K. This is after consolidation and on the 30 year repayment plan. I think it eventually doubles over the 30 years but by then inflation kicks in so it isn't that bad and you should be earning more money. You won't get the student loan interest deduction since you make too much money as a pharmacist.

haha dont stress over it michelle....if you get accepted...you can live at my place we have an extra room =P

i might just take u up on that offer ;)

oi ok...first step..get an interview!!

I sent out my supplemental application and applied via PharmCas a few weeks ago and I just saw that they deposited my check, so I know they have everything from me. I am assuming, if I do actually get an interview, I won't know hear from them until late December.

I sent out my supplemental application and applied via PharmCas a few weeks ago and I just saw that they deposited my check, so I know they have everything from me. I am assuming, if I do actually get an interview, I won't know hear from them until late December.

So, we can turn in our supplemental without hearing from them first?? Is that a waste of money?

So, we can turn in our supplemental without hearing from them first?? Is that a waste of money?

you dont have to hear from western to submit the supplemental...

the deadline to submitthe supplemental was Nov. 1st....(i think)

You're getting Western University confused with MidWestern. MidWestern requires you to wait until they send you the supplemental in an email. This thread is for Western in California.

Did you know WU makes about $84K from the apps.? 1400 x ~$60

Hey~!
I couldn't find a thread for Western, so I decided to start one. Any interview letters yet?
:oops: havent heard anything from them. I emailed Vanessa last week, and she said that the comittee was viewing my file so shw couldnt include my fall grades at that time. I know that the 1st interview was in Jan.

anyone got an interview for feb 9th? I called today and they said that the started the invite process YESTERDAY...and will continue throughout the week

They called me this past Friday to invite me to the 2/9 interview, but I rescheduled it to 3/1.

They called me this past Friday to invite me to the 2/9 interview, but I rescheduled it to 3/1.

O~~they allow for rescheduling the interview???? Did they ask you why?

O~~they allow for rescheduling the interview???? Did they ask you why?

Nope. I just asked them if I could reschedule it and the lady said the next available date was 3/1 and asked if that was good for me. She said that they would put my file on hold for now, but since I confirmed for 3/1, I should be getting a call again and/or receive more information mid Feb.

It was a call only? No email?

No email, just phone call. It was actually to my cell phone instead of my house phone. It might be because nobody ever picks up my house phone.

O Western U if you only knew
My dusty old phone needs you to throw it a bone
As a week creeps to an end I still haven't heard from my dear old friend
Although SC is my number one choice my mistress Western still has a voice

O Western U if you only knew
My dusty old phone needs you to throw it a bone
As a week creeps to an end I still haven't heard from my dear old friend
Although SC is my number one choice my mistress Western still has a voice

beautiful..well said..lol

Any hope for the feb. 9th interview? Im still patiently waiting, has anyone heard yet?

No email, just phone call. It was actually to my cell phone instead of my house phone. It might be because nobody ever picks up my house phone.

I just got a phone call to my cell phone too (on the 30th last month), no call to my house or letter, but I'm sure not complaining. :)

alright u guys:

I submitted my application (Supplemental and Pharmcas) way back in Oct...

i've received interview invitations for every single school i've applied for months and months ago... except Western...

TODAY, (FIVE whopping months later)... i received an email from western saying a bunch of the courses that i took are not acceptable!!! (ie, my gen chem, my human physio, upper-level anat courses that all the pre-med students take....all these courses are taken at a top Canadian univ and going towards my bachelor in bio)

also, they said i need to submit my TOEFL score b/c I'm a foreign student (I'm from CANADA!!)

thanks for nothing, Western!!! :mad::mad::mad:

alright u guys:

i've received interview invitations for every single school i've applied for months and months ago... except Western...

TODAY, (FIVE whopping months later)... i received an email from western saying a bunch of the courses that i took are not acceptable!!! (ie, my gen chem, my human physio, upper-level anat courses that all the pre-med students take....all these courses are taken at a top Canadian univ and going towards my bachelor in bio)

also, they said i need to submit my TOEFL score b/c I'm a foreign student (I'm from CANADA!!)

Western rules. Pacific U (Oregon) sucks. :p

alright u guys:

OMG!! SOOO sorry to hear about your dilemma Michelle :( that must suck hearing about these courses so late bc Im assuming you won't have time to make them up by the June deadline for pre-reqs. Did you check to make sure your classes were approved before you applied???

as for the TOEFL, i remember DavisAggie saying she had a similar problem w/Western bc she was missing hers (although English is her 1st language)... maybe you can PM her. Here's the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5664323#post5664323

It is about time we started handling these illegal aliens. J/K
That really sucks I hope things work out in the long run. There are a lot maple leaves up around campus so there are other Cunucks that go there. I know one in the DO and one in Vetmet.

hey have u guys applied for international program and got interview call???

It is about time we started handling these illegal aliens. J/K
That really sucks I hope things work out in the long run. There are a lot maple leaves up around campus so there are other Cunucks that go there. I know one in the DO and one in Vetmet.
hey ragin,have u applied for international program for western ??

No, But I know some people that have. It is there, last year I was interviewed by one from Japan who lived in the Helix. There are people from India who are in the Masters program. PM me for any questions and I will try to find out.