Wfr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey so has anyone ever done Wilderness First Responder? (WFR) what did you think?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but I'm OEC (outdoor emergency care) certified through Ski Patrol. I'm guessing they are pretty much the same thing. What did you want to know exactly?

just if anyone thinks its a worthwhile course...im in it right now and it seems like all these people care about is protecting the cerebral spine to cover their asses in case they are working for a company with clients and less about how to treat people in the wilderness which is what i sign up for. too many contradictions and no one knows what they are talking about half the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, c-spine precautions are huge in any emergency response course...as sooin as the MOI and assessment point to neck injury you c-collar and backboard to cover your own ***** and protect the patient from any further damage. It sounds like the course you are taking is going to have little field work and mostly a bunch of BS in the classroom. The only reason I would stick with it is if:

a) you plan on volunteering or working as a first responder for something like mt. bike races this summer, or maybe for the ranger's department?

b) you get a discount on worthwhile classes that you want to take on top of the WFR. for me this was avalanche courses which i paid like $20 for my certification that normally would have been around $200, and a free topo map/GPS reading course with certification.

If neither of these apply then I'd just buy the book and learn on my own. They may teach you how to make a nice first aid pack and give you a deal on equipment (i.e. Sam splints for a couple bucks), but it all becomes personal preference after your first couple "codes" anyways.

Lol, c-spine precautions are huge in any emergency response course...as sooin as the MOI and assessment point to neck injury you c-collar and backboard to cover your own ***** and protect the patient from any further damage. It sounds like the course you are taking is going to have little field work and mostly a bunch of BS in the classroom. The only reason I would stick with it is if:

a) you plan on volunteering or working as a first responder for something like mt. bike races this summer, or maybe for the ranger's department?

b) you get a discount on worthwhile classes that you want to take on top of the WFR. for me this was avalanche courses which i paid like $20 for my certification that normally would have been around $200, and a free topo map/GPS reading course with certification.

If neither of these apply then I'd just buy the book and learn on my own. They may teach you how to make a nice first aid pack and give you a deal on equipment (i.e. Sam splints for a couple bucks), but it all becomes personal preference after your first couple "codes" anyways.

Oh I am just taking it to finish up my elective credits for my degree that I just graduated with. I needed 3 more credits and NAU Outdoors here in flagstaff will give you credit and certification for like 450 dollars. lol easier than like a 3 credit legit lecture course!

just if anyone thinks its a worthwhile course...im in it right now and it seems like all these people care about is protecting the cerebral spine to cover their asses in case they are working for a company with clients and less about how to treat people in the wilderness which is what i sign up for. too many contradictions and no one knows what they are talking about half the time.

I am a certified Personal Trainer through the American Council on Exercise, so I kinda know what you are talking about. I have taken many classes similar to the one you are refering to, and I hate the ultra conservative nature of these kind of classes. When all is said and done, it seems as though no one really wants to commit to any concrete answer on anything (for fear of a law suit).